TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
6 months-ish, maybe a week or two shy.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best of luck tomorrow! Don't be surprised if they don't recognize each other at first when Duncan is back from the vet. He will smell different. We can give you some tips to reacclimate them if you need.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What I would suggest so as not to take a back step when Duncan returns from the vets, is to rub a towel/cloth or any clothing item over Duncan concentrating on his scent glands to capture his pheromones. Then rub the same shirt over Barry. Keep this item in a bag & when Duncan returns rub Duncan with the item, that way it will get rid of all the unfamiliar vet smells. You should also consider separating Duncan to give him time to recover & time for Barry to get used to the fact that Duncan is back in the house. Reintroduce them slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What I would suggest so as not to take a back step when Duncan returns from the vets, is to rub a towel/cloth or any clothing item over Duncan concentrating on his scent glands to capture his pheromones. Then rub the same shirt over Barry. Keep this item in a bag & when Duncan returns rub Duncan with the item, that way it will get rid of all the unfamiliar vet smells. You should also consider separating Duncan to give him time to recover & time for Barry to get used to the fact that Duncan is back in the house. Reintroduce them slowly.
Rub a shirt over Barry: I understand the principle and appreciate the advice, but Barry says "No way."

I have to see what the vet says for convalescence for Duncan, but I plan on having the cats together for a short period of time tonight and then separating them for the night and tomorrow during the day. I'm hoping that two or three days and any lost progress will be made up.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]I forgot Barry wasn't that forthcoming. It might go smoothly & you carry on where you left off but don't be disheartened if they take a back step as it's perfectly normal.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got Duncan home last night, and to be honest, I was just to tired to deal with cat integration so I kept them separated from the start. Duncan came home with a soft e-collar which he hated. It messed up his balance and movement. He pulled it off after an hour or so.  He licked his wound a lot yesterday, but not so much this morning.  I'll keep my eye on things to make sure there's no infection.

This morning I put the boys together for an hour or so.  Barry stayed out of his room for most of the time.  A little chasing but very little swatting.  Mostly just hanging out together.  

I'm going through treats like there's no tomorrow, but that gets both of them out of Barry's little bathroom and close

together near me.

Here they are two days ago, and it was pretty much the same this morning:

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is going really well, it doesn't seem as though Duncan's vet visit has had any negative affect.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut & @flojo75 -

I had read about the "vet effect" but didn't know what to expect. First, the animals don't really interact that much. Duncan was always in his carrier or on the stainless steel exam table. I know he picks up some scent, but how much really? Second, Barry is pretty laid back.

Like I said, I was bushed yesterday, so I locked Barry downstairs before I even went to get Duncan back from the vet. They interacted at the gate a little bit but otherwise Barry just explored the basement and ignored Duncan. (Duncan cried like a jilted lover in an Opera but eventually calmed down)

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They can pick up a lot as the cat carrier will have been placed with other ones so the carrier will smell a lot different. The vet & other staff will have handled him so their scent will be on him & just the general scent of the vets practice.
It's good though that they weren't affected.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We made a lot of progress this weekend. The cats were together yesterday whenever we were home and did fine. Today we were out for the afternoon and left the cats home alone together. There were no apparent incidents, and when we got home they were both asleep on the couches downstairs.

Barry is much more confident - coming out of his room and roaming around the whole house. There is a lot of chasing, mostly Duncan the resident cat, chasing Barry the new cat but not always. He is definitely more confident and chases treats and toys right under Duncan's nose.

There has been a lot, A LOT, of wrestling but it is mostly quiet and ends quickly with a chase.

I think that we can leave them together during the day now, but we are going to wait until Wednesday - one of us will be home early that day, just in case there is chaos.

If this is really the end of the integration process, it will have taken just a day or two less than 6 weeks. About 3 of those were spent getting Barry confident and out of his shell.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well done you.
The wrestling is purely play, mine do this an awful lot each day & it's a great way for them to bond.
If they have been left alone & we're both asleep in the same room indicates to me that they are comfortable together. I honestly think you have cracked it.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well done you, you really have done a great job. It's all down to the love & care you showed him [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots and lots of wrestling for the last few days. Its quick and mostly quiet but sometimes with growls. It seems like they can go several rounds over the span of a 30 minutes. Usually the matches end with the cats kind of indifferent to each other lying near by or going their own way. Duncan the resident cat can push it a little too far so Barry will run and hide for a while. Good thing is that Barry will usually escape to another room besides his "safe" room and is often out and about. Barry also starts the wrestling every once in a while (and head butts Duncan. Duncan doesn't head butt anyone).

So, so far so good. We let them loose together today so hopefully neither them nor the house is too destroyed when we get home later tonight. If things are relatively uneventful through Sunday, I think I will consider the integration done.

I think the next chapter of this drama will be dealing with Duncan's jealousy.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call the integration a success, even as the cats are upstairs chasing and wrestling right now.

Time - it seems that it was all about spending time with the cats, individually and when introducing them.  Well, time and treats.  Since we got Barry, I have gone through 3 pounds of cat treats.  These cats are both very food oriented.

So, three last pictures and a small rant to close this thread:

And my rant:  Barry was stuck in the PetSmart shelter for 6 months because he was shy - he got there at about 5 or 6 months old so he was a cute little kitten at the time.  We passed him up two months previously because my wife always dreamed of an orange cat, and when we decided on a second cat, I was afraid that he would be gone.  The shelter worker was surprised when we said we wanted Barry and when they dropped him off, they said that he was there so long because nobody wanted to take the time to work with him.  Well, its their loss.  We have a cat who comes up to us for pets, rubs against our legs and loves the affection and attention and he rewards us with a deep, deep purr.  He's not a lap cat, yet, but I can see him getting there.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well done you for sticking with it when a lot of people would have given up. Barry will soon be a lap cat once he gets a bit more brave.
You have two lovely cats that have eventually learnt to live with & love each other. They will love being together for a very long time. Well done again.
Feel free to post again if you encounter any problems but I'm confident you won't. [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]