Kitty doesn't want the other's to have attention so much. Wants to be at the center.

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's kind of sweet and flattering, but the other kitties need attention too.

Examples of what I am talking about would be if he hears me talking to or giving another cat attention, he will almost always come over meowing and put himself between me and the other cat. He has even awakened himself from a nap to get up and do this when I was brushing one of the other cats. He won't come when I call him. He comes if he hears me calling another cat, though. Sometimes, I swear he even looks kind of mad if he sees me petting another cat.

He is obviously territorial in some kind of fashion.

The one and only time I had to put him in a brief time out was when he was chasing the senior cat around one day.

Is there any insight into this behavior and how he can be helped feel more secure, I guess? Is that a thing with cats?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, cats can be jealous. I'll link an article at the end of this post about it. There should be some tricks in there to help. However, one thing you can do that came to mind immediately is, whenever he pushes between you and another of the cats, simply pick him up and set him on the floor. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Say "no" when you do it. And it will take time. And do NOT sneak a stroke in when you are setting him down, that gives him the attention he is demanding. Which may be the hardest part of it!

Do Cats Get Jealous? (And What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Currently dealing with that but mazie is hiding because dottie is getting attention I’m giving both attention theirs some swats and growling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MicheleLynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, cats can be jealous. I'll link an article at the end of this post about it. There should be some tricks in there to help. However, one thing you can do that came to mind immediately is, whenever he pushes between you and another of the cats, simply pick him up and set him on the floor. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Say "no" when you do it. And it will take time. And do NOT sneak a stroke in when you are setting him down, that gives him the attention he is demanding. Which may be the hardest part of it!

Do Cats Get Jealous? (And What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite
Thank you so much for the article. I will do my best to not sneak in a stroke when setting him down.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...if he hears me talking to or giving another cat attention, he will almost always come over meowing and put himself between me and the other cat.
That sounds like our Elliot to a tee! If he sees anybody paying attention to our other cat, Casper, he MUST come over and butt in. It's like he's saying, "Hey! There's attention going on and I'm not part of it!" In fact, Elliot does it even if it's just me and Casper's Girl-Human paying attention to each other.

When it happens to Casper, he just goes away with a "Harumph!" expression on his face. I believe that Elliot just thinks he's being friendly and doesn't understand that he's really just butting in. We try to make sure that the first cat getting attention is first priority. If a second cat comes along, he's welcome to join in but has to wait to get his fair share.

We just try to ignore Elliot when he acts this way but, sometimes, we have to push him away. Regardless of the way you handle the situation, make it part of your House Rules and stick to it.

If you want to make the rule "wait your turn" or if you want to make the rule "go away," each has its merits but, whatever the rule, draw the line and stand on it, so to speak.

Elliot's such a sweet, loving cat. He just doesn't understand. ;)