What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a big mac from McDonalds. It's McHappy Day so we went to support their charity and won a coupon for a free big mac too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Feeling about half-human now (nasty headache earlier) so I made beef pot pie for dinner tonight. I wanted to try out my new bakers pin and pot pie always goes over well with Rick.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grilled barbeque chicken, baked french fries, salad. I splurged at the store today and bought myself a Mother's Day gift. We will have it later, vanilla ice cream with pineapple topping. I can hardly wait.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Meatloaf with a twice-baked sweet potato for Rick with some green beans for both of us. I'm making the meatloaf, so I doubt it will stay together....it never does for me. Rick is the meatloaf expert.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meatloaf with a twice-baked sweet potato for Rick with some green beans for both of us. I'm making the meatloaf, so I doubt it will stay together....it never does for me. Rick is the meatloaf expert.
What's 'twice baked' potato?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
A twice-baked potato is a potato that's been baked twice. The first time is a regular baked potato. Then I scoop out the potato from the shell and mash it with butter and herbs, sometimes a bit of cheese. Pile the mashed potato back into the potato shell and bake it again, usually with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan on top. If I use a large potato, I can halve the potato down the center and Rick and I can share it. You can put all kinds of stuff in a twice-baked potato....sour cream, butter, crispy bacon, ham, whatever tickles your fancy. I usually just make them with a bit of butter and milk and some grated cheese. 

With a sweet potato, I bake the potato the first time, then scoop the potato from the shell. Mash it with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Then pile it back into the sweet potato shell and bake it again, with a scant sprinkle of cinnamon over top. Rick eats the whole sweet potato as I don't like twice-baked sweet potatoes.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
salad, prolly turkey burgers, zucchini, not sure yet what for my carb.  May make a sandwich of the turkey burgers with cheese, red onion, and some gluten-free bread.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A twice-baked potato is a potato that's been baked twice. The first time is a regular baked potato. Then I scoop out the potato from the shell and mash it with butter and herbs, sometimes a bit of cheese. Pile the mashed potato back into the potato shell and bake it again, usually with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan on top. If I use a large potato, I can halve the potato down the center and Rick and I can share it. You can put all kinds of stuff in a twice-baked potato....sour cream, butter, crispy bacon, ham, whatever tickles your fancy. I usually just make them with a bit of butter and milk and some grated cheese. 

With a sweet potato, I bake the potato the first time, then scoop the potato from the shell. Mash it with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Then pile it back into the sweet potato shell and bake it again, with a scant sprinkle of cinnamon over top. Rick eats the whole sweet potato as I don't like twice-baked sweet potatoes.
How long does it get baked second time round?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Philly cheesesteak pizza and Hawaiian pizza.  I'll be eating pizza for a while which is good...I'm too tired to cook these days! 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband's grandmother invited us to dinner at her senior complex tonight. Wow! Is it nice! It seems like a luxury hotel and has many amenities, like a big library, fitness center, card playing lounge with a pool table, gardening plots... They have many classes and craft clubs in which to participate. There is even a bank and post office on site. I was so impressed! And her apartment is spacious and lovely. Her kitchen is bigger than mine!
We ate in the dining room and I had grilled chicken with a balsamic and pesto glaze and asparagus. My husband and Nana both had chicken a la king and said it was delicious. We shared corn casserole and an order of mac and cheese, plus strawberry shortcake for dessert. They had wine, I had coffee. She just moved there recently and tonight was my first visit. We're so happy she has such a fantastic place nearby and she has her beloved kitties with her.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
How long does it get baked second time round?
Just long enough for it to be reheated; that's all the longer I bake it. If I bake it in the oven the second time, I'll sprinkle some Parmesan on the top and let the top get just a little crusty. Or sometimes I'll throw the potato into the microwave for the second baking and just cook it that way, again, just long enough for it to be reheated.

I think Rick and I are going out to dinner tonight. He is in the mood for some BBQ and he has a coupon to Smoky Bones. He really likes that restaurant (he likes their ribs), so that may be where we end up.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just long enough for it to be reheated; that's all the longer I bake it. If I bake it in the oven the second time, I'll sprinkle some Parmesan on the top and let the top get just a little crusty. Or sometimes I'll throw the potato into the microwave for the second baking and just cook it that way, again, just long enough for it to be reheated.

I think Rick and I are going out to dinner tonight. He is in the mood for some BBQ and he has a coupon to Smoky Bones. He really likes that restaurant (he likes their ribs), so that may be where we end up.
Microwave sounds good.
Wish I had restaurants around me. Hardly anything worth talking about.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Chicken Alfredo with sautéed mushrooms, zuchini, red peppers and sun dried tomatoe over bow tie pasta.
Tomatoes don't have toes, only Dan Quayle's do (remember him? He was famous for that mistake). The singular of tomatoes is "tomato", no "e", same as for potatoes (potato). Yeah, I'm a real stickler for spelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.