What's for dinner? - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will be making this next week. We bought a meat package and have 22 pounds of ground meat coming to us on Saturday (10 lbs pork, 12 lbs beef) plus 5 lbs of sausages and 3 lbs of stewing beef. We will need lots of recipes to use all that meat.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't in the mood to cook tonight, so I just made a quick batch of egg-drop soup. 

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had leftover homemade sloppy joes and I had some homemade baked wheat tortilla chips with salsa (mixed with sour cream to make it less spicy) along with it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Soup tonight. Rick is having split pea soup and I am having chicken noodle soup. It feels like a soup day.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It actually sounds nice. I.notice you Americans use an awful lot of green peppers when you cook.
This one doesn't. I can't stand them. I like the red ones, yellow ones and orange ones. I love hot peppers. Regular green ones? Oh no. Never. I can't even stand the smell of them. DD won't eat any peppers. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna want or make for dinner. Heck, I'm still drinking my coffee here! LOL

I have some butterfly pork loin chops and some chicken breasts and thighs in the freezer. Maybe I'll do something along those lines? Glazed chicken or chops, garlic mashed  potatoes and a veggie? Green bean casserole, baby carrots, steamed broccoli? 

Right now... it's more coffee! c(_) ~~t

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one doesn't. I can't stand them. I like the red ones, yellow ones and orange ones. I love hot peppers. Regular green ones? Oh no. Never. I can't even stand the smell of them. DD won't eat any peppers. 
What on earth is facing? ,
Peppers repeat on me. All American recipes I read have peppers in them.

Sorry. Typo. Facon.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know in my case (I'm American), I most certainly do. I also like red peppers as well. Not so hot on the yellows.
The green ones repeat on me. I like the red sweet ones. What do you do with the peppers?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Peppers repeat on me. All American recipes I read have peppers in them.

Sorry. Typo. Facon.
Facon is just a play on the word bacon. It can be used to describe any product meant to be a substitute for pork bacon like turkey bacon or soy based products for vegans, vegetarians or for people who don't eat pork for religious or any other reason.  

This is the one I was referring to 

http://lightlife.com/products/smart-bacon

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up waiting to long to start dinner, so took a serving of black bean soup out of the freezer.    So still black beans.  Just no rice.  :lol3:

About leather, once I officially became vegetarian, I gave away my leather jacket, plus a Michale Kors purse.  I didn't feel right wearing them anymore.  I do on occasion still buy leather shoes, but only because I have hard-to-fit feet and leather generally fits better.

We Canadians do too.  At least I do. :lol3:
What do you make with them?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rena, what a pretty name! Here you go:

This is an old Betty Crocker recipe from the 1970s....I'm thinking it was one of the Christmas cookbooks. Rick really likes it. It goes well with salad or coleslaw.

It can also be found here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238200/main-dishes-and-entrees-meat#post_3928754

YORKSHIRE BEEF

1    pound ground beef                      
15  ounce can tomato sauce                          
¼   cup chopped green pepper              
2    tablespoons flour                                    
1    teaspoon parsley flakes                        
½   teaspoon salt (I don’t use)                                       
½   teaspoon pepper                                    
1    cup shredded Cheddar

For the Yorkshire topping:
2    eggs
1    cup milk
1    tablespoon vegetable oil
1    cup flour
1/2   teaspoon salt 
2    tablespoons chopped green onion

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cook and stir ground beef in skillet until brown; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, green pepper, 2 tablespoons flour, the parsley flakes, ½ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Pour onto ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Beat eggs, milk, oil, one cup flour, and ½ teaspoon salt with hand beater until smooth; pour over cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Sounds delicious.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds delicious.
I don't really understand what you mean by tomato sauce. Fyllis tried to explain. Here tomato sauce is ketchup. We have tomato puree which is thick. Then crushed tomatoes and whole ones in tins with juice. What would I use.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I had the same. Grilled chicken breasts, fries and tomatoes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What do you make with them?
Green Peppers, right?   I use them in almost any recipe that calls for onion.  Not in place of onion, just in addition to. 

You can also do stuffed green peppers

http://allrecipes.com/search/results/?wt=stuffed green peppers&sort=re
I don't really understand what you mean by tomato sauce. Fyllis tried to explain. Here tomato sauce is ketchup. We have tomato puree which is thick. Then crushed tomatoes and whole ones in tins with juice. What would I use.
Tomato sauce comes in a can.   Ketchup comes in a bottle.  Tomato puree sounds like what we call tomato paste. 

Here's a link that gives a substitution for tomato sauce using tomato puree.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/ingredients/detail/tomato-sauce

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ate peach yogurt and Jello. I am trying to get over a bout of diverticulosis. So not much solid food for me for awhile. :nod:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Homemade Chicken cordon bleu!
OMG! That sounds SO good!

Made with some good prosciutto and baby swiss cheese on a bed of garlic fettucini alfredo! 

I'm going to have to make some of this soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.