What's for dinner? - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... I'm having Rune pull ribs out of the freezer. I'm thinking crock pot ribs with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. Last night was jambalaya with smoked sausage and leftover Guinness braised beef roast. If I go out to the store, I may look for a loaf pan that I can fit into the crock pot. I have yet to make meatloaf for Rune. My oven doesn't work right and never has.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last night I had 1 1/2 sandwiches .  Toasted five grain italian bread with lettuce, tomato and onion (LOT). it was supposed to be be a FLOT (facon, lettuce, tomato and onion) but the Morningstar Farms facon has milk in it. I guess I'll pawn it off on DD. That's what I get for not reading the label at the store. 

I don't know what tonight will be. I have to go to the store for a few things. Maybe I'll get a different facon and an avocado and have a FLOAT 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Last night I had 1 1/2 sandwiches .  Toasted five grain italian bread with lettuce, tomato and onion (LOT). it was supposed to be be a FLOT (facon, lettuce, tomato and onion) but the Morningstar Farms facon has milk in it. I guess I'll pawn it off on DD. That's what I get for not reading the label at the store. :doh3:

I don't know what tonight will be. I have to go to the store for a few things. Maybe I'll get a different facon and an avocado and have a FLOAT :lol3:
Are you moving into Veguary?

I trying a new recipe for slow cooker chicken tikka masala.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Veganuary done. Vegebruary(?) 
  is off to a running start. 

Congrats!  

I'm not sure if I'll ever be totally Vegan, but I'm going on 8 years Vegetarian, with some Vegan days.

Nothing planned for dinner tonight.  Maybe just a simple and easy black beans and rice.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Congrats!  

I'm not sure if I'll ever be totally Vegan, but I'm going on 8 years Vegetarian, with some Vegan days.

Nothing planned for dinner tonight.  Maybe just a simple and easy black beans and rice.
Awesome!! The hardest thing to let go of hasn't been anything edible. it's leather. All of the shoes and handbags I covet are leather. Oh well. I guess you shouldn't miss what you don't have. 

yum. I love black beans and rice. 

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Judy, Yorkshire Beef is a very old Betty Crocker/Gold Medal Flour recipe. Basically, it's sauteed ground beef with onions and green peppers with tomatoes and herbs. That's all mixed together in a casserole dish. Make a batter from eggs, milk, flour, and salt (like Yorkshire pudding, kind of). Pour the batter over the beef mixture and bake. The batter puffs up around the beef mixture in the oven. Like a meal in a dish thing, I guess. I always add vegetables to it. It's not bad, but it's not gourmet dining by any stretch. For some reason, Dear Richard really likes Yorkshire Beef. 

Chicken fajitas are on the menu for tonight. I have some small corn tortillas in the pantry and I thawed a large chicken breast last night while making last night's dinner. So this morning, I put the breast into a marinade.
I remember my grandmother making that very same entree when I was a child. It was scrumptious, and I still miss that meal.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judy, Yorkshire Beef is a very old Betty Crocker/Gold Medal Flour recipe. Basically, it's sauteed ground beef with onions and green peppers with tomatoes and herbs. That's all mixed together in a casserole dish. Make a batter from eggs, milk, flour, and salt (like Yorkshire pudding, kind of). Pour the batter over the beef mixture and bake. The batter puffs up around the beef mixture in the oven. Like a meal in a dish thing, I guess. I always add vegetables to it. It's not bad, but it's not gourmet dining by any stretch.
You should post the recipe. It sounds yummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sure, Mrs. B.....hang on til I get home tonight.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judy, Yorkshire Beef is a very old Betty Crocker/Gold Medal Flour recipe. Basically, it's sauteed ground beef with onions and green peppers with tomatoes and herbs. That's all mixed together in a casserole dish. Make a batter from eggs, milk, flour, and salt (like Yorkshire pudding, kind of). Pour the batter over the beef mixture and bake. The batter puffs up around the beef mixture in the oven. Like a meal in a dish thing, I guess. I always add vegetables to it. It's not bad, but it's not gourmet dining by any stretch. For some reason, Dear Richard really likes Yorkshire Beef. 

Chicken fajitas are on the menu for tonight. I have some small corn tortillas in the pantry and I thawed a large chicken breast last night while making last night's dinner. So this morning, I put the breast into a marinade.
It actually sounds nice. I.notice you Americans use an awful lot of green peppers when you cook.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I had 1 1/2 sandwiches .  Toasted five grain italian bread with lettuce, tomato and onion (LOT). it was supposed to be be a FLOT (facon, lettuce, tomato and onion) but the Morningstar Farms facon has milk in it. I guess I'll pawn it off on DD. That's what I get for not reading the label at the store. :doh3:

I don't know what tonight will be. I have to go to the store for a few things. Maybe I'll get a different facon and an avocado and have a FLOAT :lol3:
What on earth is facing? ,

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Awesome!! The hardest thing to let go of hasn't been anything edible. it's leather. All of the shoes and handbags I covet are leather. Oh well. I guess you shouldn't miss what you don't have. 

yum. I love black beans and rice. 
I ended up waiting to long to start dinner, so took a serving of black bean soup out of the freezer.    So still black beans.  Just no rice. 

About leather, once I officially became vegetarian, I gave away my leather jacket, plus a Michale Kors purse.  I didn't feel right wearing them anymore.  I do on occasion still buy leather shoes, but only because I have hard-to-fit feet and leather generally fits better.
It actually sounds nice. I.notice you Americans use an awful lot of green peppers when you cook.
We Canadians do too.  At least I do.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
A blueberry bagel with lots of cream cheese.....lazy and tired..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rena, what a pretty name! Here you go:

This is an old Betty Crocker recipe from the 1970s....I'm thinking it was one of the Christmas cookbooks. Rick really likes it. It goes well with salad or coleslaw.

It can also be found here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238200/main-dishes-and-entrees-meat#post_3928754

YORKSHIRE BEEF

1    pound ground beef                      

15  ounce can tomato sauce                          

¼   cup chopped green pepper              

2    tablespoons flour                                    

1    teaspoon parsley flakes                        

½   teaspoon salt (I don’t use)                                       

½   teaspoon pepper                                    

1    cup shredded Cheddar

For the Yorkshire topping:

2    eggs

1    cup milk

1    tablespoon vegetable oil

1    cup flour

1/2   teaspoon salt 

2    tablespoons chopped green onion

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cook and stir ground beef in skillet until brown; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, green pepper, 2 tablespoons flour, the parsley flakes, ½ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Pour onto ungreased  13 x 9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Beat eggs, milk, oil, one cup flour, and ½ teaspoon salt with hand beater until smooth; pour over cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.