What's for dinner? - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chopped onions and squeezed garlic and fried them. While they were frying I cut sausages into little rounds and fried them too. Added to jar of spaghetti sauce and tomato puree, added salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Had it on rice. Not bad. Had strawberries and cream for afters. Yummy.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You use honey to cut the acidity in tomato sauce. I used to use vinegar and somebodyelse said carrots.
Which is it?
Well... vinegar is acidic, so it wouldn't cut the acidity. Carrots do have a sweetness to them, but I don't put carrots in my pasta sauces (maybe I should experiment some time? I might just like it!). I was going to add a pinch of sugar but the honey was sitting out on the counter so I grabbed it and added a squirt.  It worked and it didn't have the heavy 'sugar' taste.  I rarely follow a recipe unless I am baking something - and even then I tend to switch up on some ingredients. So, in answer to your question of, Which is it? I would say what ever you like and tastes good!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... vinegar is acidic, so it wouldn't cut the acidity. Carrots do have a sweetness to them, but I don't put carrots in my pasta sauces (maybe I should experiment some time? I might just like it!). I was going to add a pinch of sugar but the honey was sitting out on the counter so I grabbed it and added a squirt.  It worked and it didn't have the heavy 'sugar' taste.  I rarely follow a recipe unless I am baking something - and even then I tend to switch up on some ingredients. So, in answer to your question of, Which is it? I would say what ever you like and tastes good!
My mom puts carrots in chili - SO GOOD! Liquified of course. It makes a seriously great chili-cheese dip too.

Dinner tonight - Stouffer's Mac & Cheese.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have to put carrots in for cooking. I'd imagine you'd throw it away after. Just stick it in whole or halved. I'll try honey. My ex Mia said vinegar and sugar and believe me when I tell you that woman knew everything. There was nothing she couldn't do except like me! She does now because I let her son live in my apartment as he's broke.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have to put carrots in for cooking. I'd imagine you'd throw it away after. Just stick it in whole or halved. I'll try honey. My ex Mia said vinegar and sugar and believe me when I tell you that woman knew everything. There was nothing she couldn't do except like me! She does now because I let her son live in my apartment as he's broke.
Mother in law

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I made shredded beef yesterday and will throw it into the crock pot around noon today and we'll have it in sandwiches. Chocolate brownies for dessert.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rena, what a pretty name! Here you go:

This is an old Betty Crocker recipe from the 1970s....I'm thinking it was one of the Christmas cookbooks. Rick really likes it. It goes well with salad or coleslaw.

It can also be found here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238200/main-dishes-and-entrees-meat#post_3928754

YORKSHIRE BEEF

1    pound ground beef                      
15  ounce can tomato sauce                          
¼   cup chopped green pepper              
2    tablespoons flour                                    
1    teaspoon parsley flakes                        
½   teaspoon salt (I don’t use)                                       
½   teaspoon pepper                                    
1    cup shredded Cheddar

For the Yorkshire topping:
2    eggs
1    cup milk
1    tablespoon vegetable oil
1    cup flour
1/2   teaspoon salt 
2    tablespoons chopped green onion

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cook and stir ground beef in skillet until brown; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, green pepper, 2 tablespoons flour, the parsley flakes, ½ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Pour onto ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Beat eggs, milk, oil, one cup flour, and ½ teaspoon salt with hand beater until smooth; pour over cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately.
I'm making this tonight. I didn't realise I needed cheese though so I guess we will go for a walk to the store and get some.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yorkshire Beef was pretty good. I added a little onion and garlic and fried it with the beef (along with the peppers) The kids both enjoyed it which almost never happens.

I really enjoyed the topping, I'm going to try it again and cook stewing beef in the crock pot with some onions, carrots and beef broth and thicken it with corn starch. Then put that same topping on it and cook it in the oven.

Last edited:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's almost 2:30 in the morning here... just sitting here watching the stupid snow fall. Not gonna think about dinner for a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took a large boneless, skinless chicken breast out of the freezer last night. I have about 1/3 of a bag of frozen cranberries that I need to use up, so we're going to divide a sauteed chicken breast with cranberry sauce, some of Trader Joe's wild rice mixture, and some frozen peas. 

(We usually divide a boneless, skinless chicken breast because the things are just huge these days. A 10-ounce chicken breast can easily be divided between two people. Rick's not a big chicken fan, so he doesn't want a huge piece anyway.)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grilled chicken breast with gravy, fries and cherry tomatoes. Very tasty.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
took some of my tomato sauce with sausages out of the freezer ....

Had that tonight with some imported Fusili Pasta...the curly ones..and lots of Parmesan cheese.

It was so good. I am really partial to homemade sauce. It is the best...I guess you could say I am a snob as far as Italian Tomato Sauce and homemade Soups/soups in general...

tomorrow will be a different day...no meat... Ash Wednesday...and it is fasting.. not sure about that part of it...

I only eat a small breakfast and then supper...You would think I would be thin---NOT!!  

Sorry, this is what I posted in the other thread: What was the last thing you ate....

I am a bit confused.....

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A

Ooh, I am so jealous of you right now! That sounds like an AWESOME meal! :nod:
Don't be too jealous. The chicken is bought already grilled. The fries go into the microwave and I don't grow the cherry tomatoes. Probably have the same tonight with the inclusion of half an avocado.

Status
Not open for further replies.