What food is your locality known for?

ledpaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
somerset UK is famous for being cider country - and boy do we drink a lot of it.....also lots of good somerset cheeses, brie, goats cheese etc
I actually like black pudding - a couple of slices witha fried breakfast occasionally! But jellied eels is not my cup of tea - basically eels boiled in aspic, and then they are left to go cold and jellify - yeuch - aquired taste....
It's an East End tradition in London where there still exist pie & eel shops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone else really into eating artichokes? I'm having 2 for my dinner tonight. I'm obsessed with artichokes and always keep hearts on hand in case I can cook with them. But I love the real thing once and a while with some melted butter.

My fiance's mom is from the Phillipines so we get a lot of interesting food when I visit (mmmm). I can't remember what all the things are called.. But one of the fruits that is common in the Phillipines I'm starting to see in the grocery stores A LOT! Its a Pomelo...they look like a larger grapefruit but not really that sour. The flesh comes right out of the skin when ripe and ohhhh so sweet! I love it
. I know its grown in a lot of other places too but I'm so glad to see it in the grocery stores and for much cheaper than it used to be...

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ledpaige

oh no - I have never got to grips with grits!
When I was little, I used to think that grits were a meal made out of the gristle on chicken (which will always make me gag, I can't stand it). So I think that has some bearing on why I don't like it... But really they are very bland.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Is anyone else really into eating artichokes? I'm having 2 for my dinner tonight. I'm obsessed with artichokes and always keep hearts on hand in case I can cook with them. But I love the real thing once and a while with some melted butter.

My fiance's mom is from the Phillipines so we get a lot of interesting food when I visit (mmmm). I can't remember what all the things are called.. But one of the fruits that is common in the Phillipines I'm starting to see in the grocery stores A LOT! Its a Pomelo...they look like a larger grapefruit but not really that sour. The flesh comes right out of the skin when ripe and ohhhh so sweet! I love it
. I know its grown in a lot of other places too but I'm so glad to see it in the grocery stores and for much cheaper than it used to be...
I LOVE pomello!!

Have you tried custard fruit too? mmmm!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

I LOVE pomello!!

Have you tried custard fruit too? mmmm!
No I haven't. What is it? I love starfruit though, not sure where that is from and its pricey to ever really buy. Pomegranites though are great!!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its weird, its a fruit with the texture of custard! i used to have it for breakfast every morning in asia.

longan and lychess i miss so much too! pomegranites and star fruit are so goooood too. But both are pricey here.

Has anyone ever tried Durian?

ledpaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

I am obsessed with artichokes. I planted 500 plants here so I can supply them locally. And of course eat as many as possible!

ledpaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

its weird, its a fruit with the texture of custard! i used to have it for breakfast every morning in asia.

longan and lychess i miss so much too! pomegranites and star fruit are so goooood too. But both are pricey here.

Has anyone ever tried Durian?
are durian the ones that taste nice but smell disgusting?

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am obsessed with artichokes. I planted 500 plants here so I can supply them locally. And of course eat as many as possible!
thats really impressive, are they hard to grow?

my brothers dog has destoyed my garden and any hopes i have of growing anything this year

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes I think I've heard of them too! My coworker is from china, and his fiance is from Malaysia. He went to visit her family and they were all obsessed with this fruit. He said he couldn't bring himself to eat it. I haven't seen them here at all.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I want to be your neighbor
. I dont' usually see nice artichokes at the store...but last Friday I saw the most gorgeous, huge, tight artichokes I had ever seen. So I bought a couple and they will be landing on my plate tonight

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, they are banned on public transport and nearly every hotel i went to made you promise not to bring them into your room! lol

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soul Food. Fried bad for your heart tasty stuff. Grits and collard greens. And Sweet tea!!

Eva: I really like fried mullet. Its one of the few types of fish that I will eat. Yum!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kansas City, MO: best BBQ in the entire world.

Grew up in Chicago area and they had the best corn I've ever eaten. Also outstanding steaks (any cut). Their Italian is pretty darn good also - Chicago style pizza is outstanding.

Lived in Texas for a while and you can't beat their Tex-Mex food. Being so close to Louisiana, there was an outstanding cajun influence there also.

Was raised in a German/Polish family and married a Pole. We eat lots of Kapusta, sausages, peirogi, spatzel, etc. Slavic food mixes ethnicities well. I've learned to cook the recipes in the areas that I live in. I've yet to find a pizza in this town better than mine.

miamispartan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seafood, Cuban food, and really foods from all the Central and South American countries in addition to the Carribean Islands...

ledpaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

thats really impressive, are they hard to grow?

my brothers dog has destoyed my garden and any hopes i have of growing anything this year
not too difficult in the UK - can withstand quite a lot of cold - they don't like loads of WET tho'. But once you have got them going, the plants produce for about 4 - 5 years, and you get around 6 - 10 artichokes per plant!! YUM YUM! That means I can read recipes that say 'take 8 - 10 artichoke hearts' without thinking how much money waitrose were going to make out of me!
If you have the space then one or two plants look nice in a flower bed as background too....

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

not too difficult in the UK - can withstand quite a lot of cold - they don't like loads of WET tho'. But once you have got them going, the plants produce for about 4 - 5 years, and you get around 6 - 10 artichokes per plant!! YUM YUM! That means I can read recipes that say 'take 8 - 10 artichoke hearts' without thinking how much money waitrose were going to make out of me!
If you have the space then one or two plants look nice in a flower bed as background too....
I always wanted to grow them. I know NH will work but haven't researched if NC is too warm for them or not. We tend to have pretty dry summers so maybe it would be good...if its not to hot.