What food do you use and WHY:)

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catpurr

Do you add supplements to the raw food?
If you're asking me -- I follow the recipe on catnutrition.org (and the slight variant by Dr. Pierson on catinfo.org) .... both use Taurine, Vitamin E, and Vitamin B complex supplements... I also opt for a bit of whole fish vs. fish oil... and I do not grind the food to a bloody pulp, as my cat will chew chunks of meat -- he just will not chew meat as is off the carcass (yet)...

catpurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catattack1985

If you're asking me -- I follow the recipe on catnutrition.org (and the slight variant by Dr. Pierson on catinfo.org) .... both use Taurine, Vitamin E, and Vitamin B complex supplements... I also opt for a bit of whole fish vs. fish oil... and I do not grind the food to a bloody pulp, as my cat will chew chunks of meat -- he just will not chew meat as is off the carcass (yet)...
Thank you sorry I forgot to include your original message.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FOLKS this is a INFO only thread : Not a discussion... if you have ?? s pm or start another thread

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bean Bean eats only Kit n' Kaboodle dry food and that's why I feed it to him. If I've ever tried to get him to eat anything else he refuses and will spend his time throwing his food all over the floor instead of eating.

For wet he likes 9 Lives, Wiskas, and Special Kitty.

alpine'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We switched things up slightly since I last posted here. Alpine is now eating a mix of Purina Pro-plan UTI Chicken and Taste of the Wild dry foods. She also eats a huge variety of wet, anything from Friskies to Wellness--no fish/seafood flavors though. She's been 4 months UTI free since adding the ProPlan to the mix and it's been a relief. She's very active and her fur is silky soft!

The only wet foods she seems to genuinely dislike are any Felidae, and Natural Balance Venison. She's also less fond of the Before Grain wet.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It changes here LOL.

Kizzy gets a combo currently made up of Taste of the Wild, Wellness Core, and Nutrience. (TOTW is the bulk of it)

For wet, he eats Fancy feast grilled chicken.

The kittens get Wellness kitten, TOTW and Wellness Core. (bout 2/4 WK, 1/4 TOTW, and 1/4 WC)

For wet, they eat whatever.... It varies depending on whats on sale. For example, right now they are working on a large can of Wellness, mixed with Wellness kitten.... but on the shelf is some NB, Wellness, Nutrience and a couple others.

The kitties all do well on TOTW, and I find it to be quite affordable
It will remain the bulk of the feedings, but I like to mix something else in with it so they aren't getting hooked on just one food.

kimberleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a HUGE believer in switching it up and rotation diets. My cats get a mixture of dry kibble, tinned food and raw. They also get kibble toppers such as canned fish, raw eggs, etc. I try to never just feed straight up dry kibble. They usually get kibble with tinned food/toppers in the morning and then raw in the evening.

As far as the dry kibble goes, I get whatever grain free is on sale when I order online. With kibble, I don't care as much with price, because they don't eat that much of it. Sometimes I'll splurge. Currently, all three are eating Natural Balance Green Pea & Chicken formula.

Canned food is where I like to try and get sales. The brands and flavors they eat changes constantly. Currently, they're getting by Nature Organics Turkey & Turkey Liver, by Nature Organics Chicken & Mackeral and Natural Life Lamaderm.

Raw stays roughly the same, since the cats seem to be more picky about it. I always have the following stocked for the cats: beef heart, ground beef organ blend, chicken necks, duck necks, ground whitefish w/bone and whole chickens that I cut up.

WHY? Because I feel that this is a healthy and variety rich diet for my cats. I would LOVE to feed a raw only diet, but with 3 cats and 4 dogs, it just isn't financially possible. So I do my best to give them healthy, but money wise, options.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have changed foods once again also. Now they are getting at most an ounce of dry food per cat, the rest of the food is 50% raw and then everything else is wet.

dry - Kirkland, Instinct, TOTW, Natural Balance
wet - Sophistacat
raw - i make a mix myself. It is whatever meat i can get for cheap, mainly beef, turkey, and chicken. If i get lucky with what i find they also get lamb, pork, duck, buffalo, and venison.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched up too.

TOTW Dry
and either Fancy Feast wet or Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness wet.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before I adopted my boys - Professional kitten and then Iams kitten food

More recently - combo of Iams kitten and Natural balance dry, some wet food at night (nutro max, nutro naturals, iams kitten, wellness core...trying diff flavors and brands out)

Now - finishing off the iams/natural balance combo but added in Felidae (which they seem to really like the Felidae) plus 1/4-1/2 can of wet kitten food. Still experimenting with diff flavors and brands, they tried Spots Stew in turkey last night and loved it.

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wet: a rotation of mostly Wellness beef & chicken, with a few Wellness core - chicken & Evo venison in between...

dry: nothing seems to work, or for those that may work results in tons of smelly poop

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, now all 3 of my cats are finally eating the same dry food. This is a first! It's so much easier this way.
They are all eating the Taste of the Wild dry food. Mattie and Chloe have been eating this for a few months and are doing well on it, I just switched Henry to it too.

For wet food:
- Mattie & Chloe: Chicken Soup Adult
- Henry: Authority

I've been thinking about upgrading their wet food. Mattie and Chloe hardly touch the more premium wets though (Wellness, California Natural, etc.).

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Well, a bit of a change here.

My two are still eating Eukanuba Wholesome Naturals dry food, but we've added in Blue Spa Select canned.

It's officially the only canned food he's ever eaten and the only one we've found that doesn't upset her stomach.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast wet, because I have a spoiled picky diva. She also gets Blue Organics dry because it is organic and healthy, and low protein for her damaged kidneys. Squeak the baby will eat anything and everything Dusty leaves behind. She is a one kitty clean up team!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All three are on Purina Indoor Cat Formula...It seems to be working well they all like it but after reading some of this Im starting to wonder if Ive made the right choice....Im looking into Purina One for Indoor Cats. But Im going to now to a web search on cat foods to look and see what would be better for all three. I cant feed them all different foods because Fatman will eat everyone elses food and theres no keeping him away from any food type products he is a theif and a glutton and will eat anything in site...Including people food

automaton2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
I feed my almost year old [9/18/08 ]maine coon
wet natural balance duck and pea good on his stomach
dry wysong nurture w pheasant he likes it and it has freeze dried chunks of pheasant
before grain chicken he eats it