What food do you use and WHY:)

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I brought Siddha home in January, I've put both kitties on Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken for dry food. Why? Because I think it's a good, moderately priced food with a large enough kibble that Bodhi doesn't swallow it whole. Also, BOTH cats will eat it and aren't having any troubles.
Furthermore, there's a big age difference in the two cats (7 years or so) and Siddha is still considered a kitten (9 months old) so I didn't want to throw him into an adult maintenance food just yet. I'm not sure what I'll do when he reaches the 1 year mark. I guess we'll see how both kitties are doing at that point before I make any decisions.

As far as wet food, I feed various flavors of the following in rotation:

Nutro Max kitten / adult
Innova
Wellness (grain free)
Merrick
Natural Balance
Friskies (pate style) - I feed Friskies 2-3 times a week to help with the budget.

It's very funny that since Siddha has come along, Bodhi will now scarf up any wet food when I feed it, whereas before I couldn't get him to eat hardly ANY wet food. Silly cats.
I'm glad he's eating it now though.

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all.. I'm new here but wanted to let you know what I feed my cats, since I have a picky little one, and a thrower-upper, and have gone through a lot of different brands trying to find something that suits everyone. I have 3 cats total.

For dry food: Wellness Core. I put a 1/2 cup in the bowl in the morning for the 3 of them to nibble on if they get hungry between wet feedings. This is only over the past 2-3 months or so.. before that I used Purina Cat Chow, because I didn't know there were better options out there. I feed Wellness Core because the ingredients and protein content looked good to me, and it seemed to be a good "universal" food for my cats. Reese was throwing up a lot and had gained weight (I'm speculating, but convinced it was all the grains and gross stuff in the old food), and none of them had very nice coats. Since switching the difference has been incredible - very rarely does Reese vomit, and they all are shiny and playful.

Wet food: Oh my. I started out with supermarket brands, and Mia, the picky one, became addicted to Fancy Feast Turkey Florentine. I used to call her "turkey florentine" for a while. After reading up on cat nutrition I thought maybe the constant wheat gluten wasn't good for her, so I went through about every premium brand available. They couldn't stand the Wellness canned, Merrick, California Naturals, or Natural Choice. I've settled on mainly Pet Promise Chicken, and recently have started incorporating Nutro Max Chicken and Lamb, mostly because it's the cheapest decent wet food I can find.

I wanted to thank everyone who has given information on male cats and fish.. I had absolutely no idea that this could be bad for them.

keegen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry food- a combo of Innova Evo and Taste of the wild. I really wanted to feed a grain free food but was worried about the high calorie count of evo. So I starting mixing the two and it has been working out great.
Wet food- I feed a wide variety of wet. Innove, merrick, Wellness, Natural Balance, Evangers, BG, and Eagle pack.

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yuki's Food:

Dry Food - Orijen, Orijen 6 Fish Formula, and Wellness Core.
Wet Food - Ziwi Peak, Nature's Variety Instinct.
Raw Food - Stella & Chewy's

In my opinion, those are the best food available today.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to update my entry!

Jack and Harley are now raw eaters!

They eat about 2 oz of raw a day currently and then the remainder of their daily intake is Taste of the Wild kibble or Nutro MAX wet. We are slowly going to work that down until we are 99% raw with just a little kibble so that they maintain a liking for when I leave town.

Raw has changed their lives. They are like kittens, Harley has slimmed down and both are full of energy!

Leslie

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought a bag of Taste of the Wild for Mattie and Chloe to switch to after they finish their current food (Wellness Indoor). I want to try a grain-free dry that has more protein to see if it helps Mattie with weight issues, as cutting calories doesn't seem to be doing much good and I really can't afford to feed the cats all wet food. TOTW is less expensive than the Wellness, so that's a perk. They are both also eating Chicken Soup wet food. It's the cheapest one that they will eat that has ingredients I like. They are picky with wet food. I'm hesitant to spend more on a dry food like Wellness Core or Evo because for the price of the dry food, I could just feed them wet food.

Henry is still eating the Natural Balance dry food and wet food, plus Authority wet food as well. I will keep him on this until the bag runs out, but then will switch him to Taste of the Wild also. He will continue to eat Authority wet food because it's cheap and, unlike the other 2 cats, he'll eat anything.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy prefers wet food, but I've tried every premium brand on the market, and I can't wean him from Fancy Feast and Meow Mix! He is extremely stubborn, and even when I try to mix some premium food into his regular, he just won't touch it.

He DOES have premium dry available (Fromm and TOTW), but he eats little dry.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Editing my post: My kitties are now both on 100% Orijen. Lucky likes it pure, and Bugsy likes is with missing link and Halo Dinner Party sprinkled on it.
I decided on Orijen because it is made with 75% human grade meat, grain free, low carbs and good added ingredients. I also like that is has less chemicals and additives than the others grain free I researched.
Missing Link has stopped Bugsy's Diarrhea, and has added a great amount of energy to him. Next buy will be Orijen 6-fish, which my local store is ordering for me

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm updating my previous entry as well.... Siddha has had a case of softer than normal poops since I switched to the Solid Gold from Science Diet kitten he had from the shelter. I kept thinking it would get better but it didn't after 6 weeks. So, I decided that I wanted to try California Natural to see if that helped him. Right now, I'm VERY SLOWLY transitioning over. I'm on a mix of 3/4 SG and 1/4 CN.

I really hope this works because I think Bodhi is getting a little bit impatient with all these changes!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the farm cats get kirkland, blue buffalo, and by nature (though i am going to try use chicken soup dry soon instead). each cat gets 3 ounces of dry each day. i use this food because i want to give them high quality food, and they are doing amazing on this (except amigo).

they also each get 3 oz of wet food each day, alternativing flavors of the pate style, though i try to avoid the wheat gluten and brewer's rice they put in some of the flavors.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe at some point i answered this but i cannot recall plus it's changed anyways.

New foods for dry are chicken soup & kirkland, i still use fancy feast & friskies wet foods that is all they will consume despite trying alot of higher end ones so we deal with it

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we first got our cats we tried Nutro, Wellness and a bunch of other dry foods... They didn't like any of them
After doing a bit of research we tried feeding them Orijen and they all loved it.

Then the vet told us the boys needed to lose weight so we slowly switched them to Hill's Prescription Diet r/d. Girlie always wants to eat what the others are eating so we mix some with her Orijen... And make sure neither of the boys switch bowls with her.

For wet food we only give them Go! because that's the only kind they'll eat
They seem to like the fresh water trout best... I sprinkle in some of the dry stuff for them to crunch on.

They hate duck flavouring so we have to watch out for that.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My two boys get Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Young Adult Neutered Cat. I use it b/c the kibble pieces are bigger (so they actually chew it, at least a little!), I like the ingredients in it, and my 13lb boy has lost a little weight on it (he had been on Science Diet Adult) and it keeps my 5mo boy on track with his weight gain.

weesnack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two kittens get Wellness Core, I've recently added some of the Natural Science diet (both hard food). They were strickly on Wellness Core but they had diarrhea and after bringing them to the vet three times since March, I finally got the answer that it was parasites (even though they were tested for them twice).

They were put on the canned Hill's I/D because the vet thought it might help the diarrhea so while they're on their meds for the parasites I was told to feed a bland diet so right now they're eating cooked ground turkey with a bit of salmon and pasta in it along with the 1/2 Science Diet/Wellness Core.

I like the Wellness Core because it's grain-free. I don't mind spending a little more on the cat food as I feel their diet is very very important.

I haven't found a good canned food that I want to routinely feed them, do you think Nutro would be a good one?

I occasionally give them salmon or tuna.

I also give them goat's milk and yogurt.

lil annie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Marigold eats Nutrience adult indoor cat formula. It makes her coat shiny. It has vitamins and it does not have artifical flavors or colors in it and has a bunch of other good ingredients in it. She's not picky when it comes to dry cat food but she refuses to eat canned cat food when you are at home. As soon as you leave she eats it she is kind of a strange cat.

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Avalon has been eating Spa Select since I got her at 3 months. It is dry food.

Sometimes for cat treat, I feed her moist food. Those are the Friskies when they have them on sale.

I want to keep Avalon at a normal weight and not let her get overweight. Should I feed her something else. This is my first kitty.

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to admit that my food/feeding may seem a little spastic, but I guess I over empathize with my cats and think that eating the same thing every meal, every day would be completely boring. I know that most cats can enjoy a few types of food, but I live by variety being the spice of life. And I'm a little OCD about getting one of everything. HAHA!

Anyway - a typical day is such:
1) Early Morning: 1/4 cup dry Wellness Core + 1/4 can Wellness or 1/2 Wellness packet + Greenies

2) Late Morning (used to be right before I left for work): 1/4 cup dry Innova Light

3) Early Evening (used to be right when I returned from work): 1/4 cup dry Innova EVO + 1/4 can Innova Light + Wellness treats

4) Late Evening: 1/4 cup Wellness Light + 1/2 can TikiKitty + Vitamins (made by a compay called Dogswell)

I was worried that my male cat might be gaining to much weight so I took him off the CORE and EVO, and then he and the female gained. So I'm going to add them back in and hope that the addition of new kittens and a bit more attention from me since I'm currently unemployed will help both of them lose the added couple of pounds by the end of this year.

The kittens are being weaned off of Royal Canine and onto Wellness, I'll add Innova after that.

Why these brands? Because 7 years ago my vet told me they were the best I am all about brand loyalty. LOL! I know! I'm lame and overly weird about this!

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Halo is only 8 weeks old
. His breeder was feeding him Science Diet, so he is now switching it to Chicken Soup for Kitten's Soul. I did a lot of research and found CSKS to be a great food at a great value. I paid $10.49 for 6lbs dry and $0.81 per 5.5oz can at a local independent pet store.

He eats wet morning and evening and dry always available.

So dry: switching from Science Diet to Chicken Soup
Wet: Chicken Soup, Natural Life (found on clearance at Kroger for $0.50 each), Natural Choice.

I tried Meow Mix one day and he had very loose stools and two "must-have" washes on his behind. Will try again when he gets a little older

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our resident cat, Neely, is fed Solid Gold. Our new kitten, Gizmo, who is now 9 mo. old was originally on Iams Kitten from his previous owner but we gradually switched him to Taste of the Wild. If he does well on it I am thinking about switching Neely to TOTW also.