What food do you use and WHY:)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried several foods before settling on what works best for her. She did best with Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul, a Diamond product.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet food is home cooked fish and no grain canned cat food - Instinct, Natural Balance, Merricks, Mulligan Stew
Dry food - It used to be Royal Canin Fit 32 but I switched to Taste of the Wild and they love it more.

aprilb1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cat Friskies, it seems as if its the only kind he will eat

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
We're feeding Eukanuba Wholesome Naturals. I'd love to get them on something better, but Freya's an incredibly picky eater and has digestive issues with most foods, and Cotton gets sick whenever we try to switch them. I tried Blue spa, but that didn't go over well so we're back to Eukanuba. They've got good coats and are botha good weight, so I may just have to bite the bullet and let thme be with the food.

zoe2009

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed both of my cats Friskies canned. They both love it and the male won't eat anything else. They both do well on it and their coats are soft and shiny. I have tried some of the more expensive canned foods and his poop smelled so bad I couldn't stand it. With the Friskies it doesn't smell. He had been a stray so heavens knows what he ate and the female won't chew her dry so I switched her to canned and she is much happier.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a CRF kitty that refuses to eat any of the prescription food. She eats Fancy Feast (canned) as well as Blue Organics - Chicken and Brown Rice (with cranberries). She likes it and it is only 30% protein, so better for her kidneys (I think)

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Castor Pollux Ultramix Adult....because Blue Spa gave them the runs, and so did most others. Bandit has a very hard time with foods I have to be careful. The other 3 have a hard time with corn and corn glutens. This they love, and they are doing well on it. I will not switch....
I tried and they all got sick. AND wet food a couple times a week, the wet has to be one without corn, crazy as it sounds Blue Spa wet does really well in kitty's tummy. But Scuddel WILL NOT eat any wet food. Any ideas on this Sharky? I really don't care but the vet wants them to eat a bit of wet, just incase he needs to give them a med. or something.
Castor Pollux Ultramix Adult:
Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, menhaden fish meal, ground whole grain barley, oat groats, brewers rice, potatoes, chicken fat preserved with mixed tocopherols (form of vitamin E), salmon meal, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, fruit and vegetable mix (dried carrots, dried bananas, dried papaya, dried apples, dried blueberries), natural chicken flavor, ground flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, taurine, ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, niacin, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin K1 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt carbonate, dried fermentation products of saccharomyes cerevisiae, lactobacillus acidophilus, aspergillus niger, enterococcus faecum, trichoderma longbrachiatum and bacillus subtilis.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein, min - 31.00%
Crude Fat, min - 16.00%
Crude Fiber, max - 3.00%
Moisture, max - 10.00%
Ash, max - 9.50%
Calcium, min - 1.00%
Phosphorus, min - 0.80%
Magnesium, max - 0.11%
Taurine, min - 0.125%
Omega 6 Fatty Acids, min - 2.70%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids, min - 0.27%

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DragulescuGirl

I'm going to admit that my food/feeding may seem a little spastic, but I guess I over empathize with my cats and think that eating the same thing every meal, every day would be completely boring. I know that most cats can enjoy a few types of food, but I live by variety being the spice of life. And I'm a little OCD about getting one of everything. HAHA!

Anyway - a typical day is such:
1) Early Morning: 1/4 cup dry Wellness Core + 1/4 can Wellness or 1/2 Wellness packet + Greenies

2) Late Morning (used to be right before I left for work): 1/4 cup dry Innova Light

3) Early Evening (used to be right when I returned from work): 1/4 cup dry Innova EVO + 1/4 can Innova Light + Wellness treats

4) Late Evening: 1/4 cup Wellness Light + 1/2 can TikiKitty + Vitamins (made by a compay called Dogswell)

I was worried that my male cat might be gaining to much weight so I took him off the CORE and EVO, and then he and the female gained. So I'm going to add them back in and hope that the addition of new kittens and a bit more attention from me since I'm currently unemployed will help both of them lose the added couple of pounds by the end of this year.

The kittens are being weaned off of Royal Canine and onto Wellness, I'll add Innova after that.

Why these brands? Because 7 years ago my vet told me they were the best I am all about brand loyalty. LOL! I know! I'm lame and overly weird about this!
Is that per cat? That's 2-3 days worth of food for one kitty! That would solve the weight gain issue pretty quickly
You must mean that's the total...

catpurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tweetykiss

Avalon has been eating Spa Select since I got her at 3 months. It is dry food.

Sometimes for cat treat, I feed her moist food. Those are the Friskies when they have them on sale.

I want to keep Avalon at a normal weight and not let her get overweight. Should I feed her something else. This is my first kitty.
Since you asked and it is your first kitty, Friskies canned or dry is really not a good food for your kitty. IMO there is no real great canned food, but a grain free one is better than one with grains. The real problem occurs because the manufacturers appeal to us as people and put in veggies, fruit, and items that irritate the cats digestive system. Sure they may be great for humans, but harmful and some even toxic for cats. Wellnes core could be a start even though it has some ingredients that aren't right at least you're getting the right protien, animal protien and no grain. With some supplementation such as human grade rice bran, fish body oil and vit E with that along with a tsp of human canned pumpkin mixed in the food. Also boiled chicken, turkey, and sardines after you wash off the vegetable oil. Enough from me for now. Also wanted to say hi as I also live in the Chicago area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ladies and Gentleman

THIS was NOT for ? and answer merely what and why ... IF a ?? is asked please use another thread or a PM

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope this ok for me to post again, i can't seem to update my last post...

Foods as of now

dry

royal canin kitten 36- reasons for feeding breeder used this food with my newest addition so for now it is continued.

royal canin 33- an adult option so the grownup's will leave kittens food alone... yeah that works out so well

chicken soup adult- decent food at a reasonable price, cats do well on it, i also have the kitten counterpart for the 'baby'

kirkland cat food- again decent price, they respond well too it.. eaten by all

california naturals- fairly pricey but my males like it, plus i like the fact it's okay for all life stages..

wet foods

still using friskies and fancy feast with the odd addition of a better quality wet since the kitten is more neutral on foods ... no specific go-to brand choice there however it varies..

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Is that per cat? That's 2-3 days worth of food for one kitty! That would solve the weight gain issue pretty quickly
You must mean that's the total...
What! But the bag says to feed 3/4 cup for weight reduction for cats 10-15lbs, and add up to a 1/4 per every 2lbs over the 15. Well Chloe (the lightest one) weighs 22lbs. So that's like 1&1/2 cups every day but I'm only giving her a cup. And the bag said that I could replace 1/4 cup with a full can of moist. I should mention that I'm feeding them out of the 5.5 oz food...

Stupid bag instructions! Grrrr!!!!

I've been thinking about moving them to a more wet food based diet anyways after reading a few of these threads. I'm thinking to slightly up the wet (SLIGHTLY - I PROMISE!!!!
) so they are getting just under the 5.5 oz of moist a day and halve the dry food (as they really like it). And then if they seem to do well and I'm not having too many stomach issues, I will fully wean them off of the dry and put them on a 90% wet diet and reserve a little bit of dry for free feeding throughout the day. But I'm guessing I wouldn't do that until the little ones are eating adult grade food.

Also - my cats may be Maine Coons and Chloe is well over the length and height of an average male domestic short hair cat. The boy Kinko is able to reach his head to my hips, now I'm only 5'3" and he does stand on his tip toes - but I know that he's a long boy and is now weighing in at 26 lbs.

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm posting again because I've changed foods since California Natural. I wish I could have stuck with that because it helped Siddha's poops stay firm, but Bodhi kept getting constipated. It is just not practical to feed two separate foods to them, so I had to find something else.

Now, I've got them switched over to Royal Canin Special 33. It seems to be helping Siddha not have diarrhea and Bodhi isn't constipated so I'm hoping this will be a winner! I sure wish it wasn't so dang expensive though!

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am currently using Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck dry because it's the only food I've found that doesn't upset Tiffany's very sensitive stomach. Anything else and she'll just puke it all up after eating.

All three also get Whiskas pouches or Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys for wet, depending on which we have on hand. I've tried some of the better brands but they just don't like it all that much. Well, Zippy will eat any kind of wet food but Chaos hates the pate style. He also tends to just lick all the juice out of the gravy ones.
It's tough finding one he'll actually eat.

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently free-feed them Nutro, but I'm in the process of ordering TOTW. I could eat it, and it's extremely affordable (just barely two dollars per pounds, which is excellent for a grain-free food). The cats refuse to eat wet food, but I supplement their diet with chicken and beef scraps and yogurt. We will also get a water fountain in the next month or two.

purplecj-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kiwi eats Before Grain chicken, mixed 50-50 with Performatrin Ultra lamb & brown rice. Both are dry, because she absolutely will not eat wet food. She will also only drink water out of a glass... (but that is a whole other story)
I use these foods because I like their ingredients, they fit my budget, and Kiwi has a beautiful body of soft, shiny fur.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties eat Royal Canin Digestive Comfort 38, which seems to keep Manytoes' stool a lot more consistent and a lot less smelly. For wet, I try all sorts of "better" kinds with very poor results - they tend to only really like Save-On-Foods store brand chicken & liver. No fish flavours liked by my kitties, and daisy only licks wet and won't really "eat" any variety we've tried (which is pretty much every available!)

catpurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

I currently free-feed them Nutro, but I'm in the process of ordering TOTW. I could eat it, and it's extremely affordable (just barely two dollars per pounds, which is excellent for a grain-free food). The cats refuse to eat wet food, but I supplement their diet with chicken and beef scraps and yogurt. We will also get a water fountain in the next month or two.
I know I am having a brain freeze, but what is TOTW?

Thanks

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat 100% raw - chicken thigh, wing, beef liver, beef heart, egg yolk & bones... occasionally a sardine (no salt, spring water) ...

When he did eat commercial food, I fed him Wellness canned and Natural Balance canned....

When I adopted him, he was eating Friskies & 9-lives canned and Science Diet kibble... (yuck
)

ETA: I feed raw because I strongly believe it is closest to a natural diet (closest besides feeding whole prey)... I also believe in all the benefits of a raw diet... I am strongly against kibble and low-quality brands; if I didn't feed raw, I'd feed high quality canned commercial (Wellness, grain-free)... but after seeing the benefits of my cat on raw, I just don't think I could ever go back to ANY commercial again........... he's so much healthier, more active...... even since switching from Wellness canned... it's amazing...........