What conversation did you have with your cat today?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This evening I stopped to pick up some things on the way home, including rolls. Guess who grabbed the bag of rolls while I was putting stuff away? Luckily DH managed to take it away from him before he ate any.

I know Mogli loves bread, but he should be smart enough to make the connection between it and the runs.
He figures everything else out fast.
How big is this monster....lol....I mean Mogli the cat,  from his photos, he looks like average size and really adorable, so I cannot believe that such a handsome cat could just walk away with a whole bag of rolls, unless they were like very small rolls....lol......He sounds like such a character,

And have you already posted that photo of him about to jump toward the scratching pole, with his left paw out?  It should be in the "caption this" thread because it is so cute.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How big is this monster....lol....I mean Mogli the cat,  from his photos, he looks like average size and really adorable, so I cannot believe that such a handsome cat could just walk away with a whole bag of rolls, unless they were like very small rolls....lol......He sounds like such a character, :kitty2:
 And have you already posted that photo of him about to jump toward the scratching pole, with his left paw out?  It should be in the "caption this" thread because it is so cute.
He's average size, though slightly pudgy - 5.4 kg (12 lbs). A bag of rolls is nothing for him to run off with. Several times we've caught him walking off with a 400 g. (14 oz.) can of cat food in his teeth. He's absolutely obsessed with food. He recently took a 1-kg. (2.2 lb) box of breadcrumbs out of a cabinet, ripped it up and spread the crumbs all over the floor.

Do you mean this shot? He's gotten bigger (and fatter) in the meantime.

View media item 203978

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
One ongoing conversation with Mogli is about whether he's actually a Labrador Retriever in disguise ( @katachtig's suspicion]. He loves to carry things around in his mouth or play ball, and obeys a couple of commands like "sit" which he learned through clicker training.

He also has a crush on the neighbor's dog (a French Bulldog/Lab mix).Conversations often consist of my asking where the doggy is, why she's barking, whether he's called her to come out and play, etc..

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
One ongoing conversation with Mogli is about whether he's actually a Labrador Retriever in disguise ( @katachtig's suspicion]. He loves to carry things around in his mouth or play ball, and obeys a couple of commands like "sit" which he learned through clicker training.

He also has a crush on the neighbor's dog (a French Bulldog/Lab mix).Conversations often consist of my asking where the doggy is, why she's barking, whether he's called her to come out and play, etc..
Wait! Is Mogli a "movie cat" or does "commercials"?  How many months or years did you have to do clicker training to get him to sit.....and does he still obey them?  

"He also has a crush on the neighbor's dog...."
 ...   lol ...I have to go read his webpage now

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli learned "sit" the first day, and we practice just about every day. He knows "here", "up", "down" and "touch", too. Yesterday we had a little talk about adding some commands, perhaps "jump" or "over" to get him to jump over things, rather than just up. He's so greedy that he absolutely loves clicker training. He needs work on obeying when there's no treat in the offing.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It took a bit of effort not to laugh at the conversation between my husband and Bear, one of our cats, today. He praised him for covering his poop in the litter box, then tried to convince him that it was buried enough and he could stop digging. As Bear continued to dig he explained to him that if he kept digging he would uncover the poop again. When Bear did just that he said 'See! I told you so', but Bear just wouldn't listen. He just kept digging even when the Hubs told him he was going to start kicking litter out of the box."Now its all in the corner; what do you think you are going to do with it?'. He finally told the cat he had to stop now because he was gonna start kicking poop out of the box too. It was a good 5 minute conversation!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

It took a bit of effort not to laugh at the conversation between my husband and Bear, one of our cats, today. He praised him for covering his poop in the litter box, then tried to convince him that it was buried enough and he could stop digging. As Bear continued to dig he explained to him that if he kept digging he would uncover the poop again. When Bear did just that he said 'See! I told you so', but Bear just wouldn't listen. He just kept digging even when the Hubs told him he was going to start kicking litter out of the box."Now its all in the corner; what do you think you are going to do with it?'. He finally told the cat he had to stop now because he was gonna start kicking poop out of the box too. It was a good 5 minute conversation!
Oh, that's FUNNY!  

karrecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mogli is adorable. He looks just like my Bärli. They could be (evil) twins! 

Today, when we woke up, Lenya gave me a huge kiss on the nose. After that, she ran to the kitchen, eyeing the cabinet in which I keep her treats and food. "Mom, you're late to breakfast!"

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when getting home from work:

"Hi baby girlll! Are you glad Mommy's home for the weekend?"

and after a walmart run:

"Zoey Belle! Come here, momma bought you a new toy!!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That is hysterical! :lol3::lol3::lol3:

My last conversation with Abby was explaining that I was only clipping her claws and not trying to kill her, so there was no need for the drama. :rolleyes:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Abby.

DH had a ongoing conversation with Mogli during lunch today. Mogli kept climbing up on the table and hanging over DH's plate like a little vulture. DH would pick him up, put him on the chair beside him, and tell him that was his place during meals. That went on about six times. I kept waiting for Mogli to snatch something off the plate.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My last conversation with Abby was explaining that I was only clipping her claws and not trying to kill her, so there was no need for the drama. :rolleyes:
I still haven't figured out how to do clip without causing him PTSD. :(

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

I still haven't figured out how to do clip without causing him PTSD. :(
Have you tried just clipping the tips of one or two claws while he's asleep? You don't have to do all of them at once.

Mogli is awake after his afternoon nap and rummaging through our desks, so we'll have to have a talk about that. Last night he got a drawer open and had paper clips and pen refills all over the floor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Are his claws really long? Some cats take care of it themselves, but Abby's always get to the point where she starts catching on things.

As Tricia said, it's best to catch them when they are sleeping and start by doing only a few at a time. I normally bring Abby in our breezeway because there is no where for her to hide. Sometimes while I am walking with her she realizes what is happening and she starts howling. :rolleyes:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

This had me laughing in stitches.
I saw one of my cats do this also, but could not bring myself to say anything....just shake my head.  Your cat and hubby sound like quite a pair......lol..
That is hysterical!

My last conversation with Abby was explaining that I was only clipping her claws and not trying to kill her, so there was no need for the drama.
I still haven't figured out how to do clip without causing him PTSD.
Ahh, yes, the "drama" I see is not just with one of mine.  And I let him scratch the couch, carpet and whatever just to keep his nails from curling into his pawpads....ouch....The furniture does not matter to me if it saves me a trip to the vet.  I have tried the "cut them when he is asleep time" as @jcat has said but I have never seen anyone wake up so fast and on the "left" paw, so to speak....so I just try now whenever he is tired and award him with treats.  He stays mad for about an hour either way.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This had me laughing in stitches.:flail: I saw one of my cats do this also, but could not bring myself to say anything....just shake my head.  Your cat and hubby sound like quite a pair......lol..
Ahh, yes, the "drama" I see is not just with one of mine.  And I let him scratch the couch, carpet and whatever just to keep his nails from curling into his pawpads....ouch....The furniture does not matter to me if it saves me a trip to the vet.  
I know how you feel.

I know what the usual tactics to clip are. Jed lets me play with his paws and claws. I'll squeeze them, pet them, inspect them, and he's 100% okay with that. The moment I take out the clipper, he thinks it's a toy and starts batting at it and biting it and clawing at it. If I insist, he'll hiss and run away.

He is also rarely sleeping. Well, he does sleep, but he goes to my bedroom under my bed for "deep sleeps". If he sleeps out here, it's just temporary, and every time I go near him, he'll be all like "OOH WHAT ARE YOU DOING ARE WE PLAYING NOW". So no, I can't catch him while he's sleeping. I've clipped his claws once since I got him 5 months ago - and that's at the vet when he was throwing up like crazy. I just give up. His claws are catching on things, but it's not really ripping them apart, so whatever.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what the usual tactics to clip are. Jed lets me play with his paws and claws. I'll squeeze them, pet them, inspect them, and he's 100% okay with that. The moment I take out the clipper, he thinks it's a toy and starts batting at it and biting it and clawing at it. If I insist, he'll hiss and run away.

He is also rarely sleeping. Well, he does sleep, but he goes to my bedroom under my bed for "deep sleeps". If he sleeps out here, it's just temporary, and every time I go near him, he'll be all like "OOH WHAT ARE YOU DOING ARE WE PLAYING NOW". So no, I can't catch him while he's sleeping. I've clipped his claws once since I got him 5 months ago - and that's at the vet when he was throwing up like crazy. I just give up. His claws are catching on things, but it's not really ripping them apart, so whatever.
Well hey, you are like half way there.  Jed actually lets you touch his paws and claws???

So now you gotta just outsmart him, (don't ask me....I don't know...lol).  Maybe he'd go for a little "distraction toy."

I was thinking about buying those "cat bags" from amazon, but still I am using the old "wrap them in a towel like a taco" technique.  This technique does not always work, because my senior cat Spotty who is 14, will still manage to reverse back out of it, like a Mack Truck reversing at a loading dock.  I have caught on now, so I will make sure he cannot reverse.  

Atleast yours does not hold a grudge for the hour. Still you will have to get it done eventually, since you do not want his claws to curl into his own paw pads.  I think our cats should appreciate us more.

ps. i hope his throwing up got all resolved.

So your conversation would have been like: "okay Jed, time to clip those nails.

Jed, "WHAT, time to play now....sounds great"

you  "okay, just hold still, please"

Jed, "This is the worst game possible, who made up these dumb rules".....swats, hisses....game over.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today was odd, and a first time my cat ever done this.

He has his favorite spot on the couch. He pretty much owns that spot. Today though, he was in my bedroom having a little me time, so the spot was free. So I went to lie on that part of the couch and was reading a book.

A few minutes later, he came out into the living room, and came towards the couch. Seeing me lying on HIS spot, he started doing this whiny meow; the same meow he does when he wants to knead my legs and they're in a position he doesn't like.

"What?"
*meows*
"C'mon, you've been hogging this spot since we got the couch."
*extends head farther, meows some more*
"Couch is big enough for both of us. Go pick that corner over there, it's the same couch."

Of course, he jumped up, and climbed onto MY chest, on top of where his spot is, and laid on my chest. Now I can't read my book because his tail is in my nose.

Jerk.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was odd, and a first time my cat ever done this.

He has his favorite spot on the couch. He pretty much owns that spot. Today though, he was in my bedroom having a little me time, so the spot was free. So I went to lie on that part of the couch and was reading a book.

A few minutes later, he came out into the living room, and came towards the couch. Seeing me lying on HIS spot, he started doing this whiny meow; the same meow he does when he wants to knead my legs and they're in a position he doesn't like.

"What?"
*meows*
"C'mon, you've been hogging this spot since we got the couch."
*extends head farther, meows some more*
"Couch is big enough for both of us. Go pick that corner over there, it's the same couch."

Of course, he jumped up, and climbed onto MY chest, on top of where his spot is, and laid on my chest. Now I can't read my book because his tail is in my nose.

Jerk.
LOL...
...Well, to be fair, you did actually say it was his "favorite spot".....lol.....

"Now I can't read my book because his tail is in my nose."...lol.

Its not like he picked a NEW spot,"your honour, I rest my case."  
....."judgement for the plaintiff."  MEOW.