What color is this cat???

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Definitely a tortie with white - the red has obvious striping!
I think I am a dork but I thought torBie meant one with obvious striping? Or is torBie not a show term and torTie is?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I've gone through my (extensive) archives (I take pictures for a shelter), and this is the best example of a calico that I have...at least I think it is:

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does Cleo rank in the calico department? She seems to fit the description, except for the "butterscotch kiss" next to her nose.

Edit: I PM'd this to Abymummy, but thought I'd post too, to see what comments I'd get!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was some SERIOUS confidence in that last statement, Kelly!

I'll hop in here with one of mine that SHOULD be a calico.... but I think it's the dilute, since she's grey and beige on white, not the black and red... AHHHH I'm so CONFUSED....
(sorry, the pic is not very good either...)

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

I think a torbie is a tortoiseshell with patches of brown tabby. Tortie is just short for tortoiseshell.
Yes, I knew what a tortoiseshell was, just confused over the brown/red. Looks like since Daphne has red tabby markings she is tortoiseshell with white. Thanks guys

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

That was some SERIOUS confidence in that last statement, Kelly!
I've been so wrong about coat colors, that even though I'm pretty sure that's a calico, I'm reserving the right to be wrong!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

In light of the calico discussion:

No breed
150 points for color

What color is this cat?
I say tortoiseshell with white. The tabby striping is on the face only, and not on the body or legs. Plus the black and orange are mixed all up, not patchy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A patched tabby = torbie - why the difference in terminology? I really don't know BUT for some breeds of pedigree cats, the term torbie does not exist - they are (color) patched tabbies. Perhaps it's because torbies are "accepted" as brown patched anyway so to distinguish the colors you have brown patched, blue patched etc.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Okay, I've gone through my (extensive) archives (I take pictures for a shelter), and this is the best example of a calico that I have...at least I think it is:
An excellent example!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

How does Cleo rank in the calico department? She seems to fit the description, except for the "butterscotch kiss" next to her nose.

Edit: I PM'd this to Abymummy, but thought I'd post too, to see what comments I'd get!
I got your pm and I actually wanted to post the picture but you beat me to it!!!!

99% of the world would accept Cleo as a calico. BUT, with obvious striping ...

Anyhoo - if you would enter her in a show under HHP, you could put either description and get away with it!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

I'll hop in here with one of mine that SHOULD be a calico.... but I think it's the dilute, since she's grey and beige on white, not the black and red... AHHHH I'm so CONFUSED....
(sorry, the pic is not very good either...)
Dilute calico me thinks but with the picture quality so..."challenged" (shall we say
) I reserve the right to change my mind!!!!
Since she could be a tarnished silver with white!

Better pic please?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dilute calico me thinks but with the picture quality so..."challenged" (shall we say

Better pic please?
Now Adilah don't go getting to picky with the pictures
I know of a slightly Green Abby picture someone had on

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Now Adilah don't go getting to picky with the pictures
I know of a slightly Green Abby picture someone had on
You picking on me Lois????

I've always admitted to being camera challenged!!!!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of calicos...

A calico

A dilute calico

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Better pic please?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, is it the picture that looks sort of muted, or is that the actual cat's coat that is muted and is that why it's a dilute? IOW, do dilutes look um.. okay, nobody kick me for this... faded and less distinct but regular calicos have much more distinct/sharper edges to their pattern? Much more definitive lines?

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

So, is it the picture that looks sort of muted, or is that the actual cat's coat that is muted and is that why it's a dilute? IOW, do dilutes look um.. okay, nobody kick me for this... faded and less distinct but regular calicos have much more distinct/sharper edges to their pattern? Much more definitive lines?
absolutely no kicking allowed in this thread, otherwise I would be in the hospital

The difference in the regular vs dilute is not the distinction between color patches but rather the color itself. A dilute is blue ( grey color) as opposed to black and cream ( pale tan color) instead of red ( which usually looks dark orange)

So the regular has the black and red color gene and a dilute has the same genes plus a dilution gene that makes black to blue and red to cream.

Ok now I bet I have you really confused.....

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

absolutely no kicking allowed in this thread, otherwise I would be in the hospital

The difference in the regular vs dilute is not the distinction between color patches but rather the color itself. A dilute is blue ( grey color) as opposed to black and cream ( pale tan color) instead of red ( which usually looks dark orange)

So the regular has the black and red color gene and a dilute has the same genes plus a dilution gene that makes black to blue and red to cream.

Ok now I bet I have you really confused.....
It's a lot easier to see in person. My dilute calico is gray (blue) and peach. It's very obvious.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

99% of the world would accept Cleo as a calico. BUT, with obvious striping ...
I'm going to challenge that percentage
In the UK (and thus under the GCCF rules) there is no such colour as calico - all red, black, and white cats are tortoishell and white, regardless of the distribution of those colours.