What are the best and worst concerts you've seen?

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Worst - Bob Dylan, at Denver - McNicholls Arena, I think it was 1978. I had second row seats and he was so bad I walked out.

Best - Alice Cooper, Welcome to my nightmare. I think that was in 1975 or 1976 in Detroit MI. I was never a fan of Alice Cooper, but he put on an awesome show.

I have been to many concerts in my younger years. Those are the 2 that have stuck in my head as best and worst!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a worst concert yet since I haven't been to that many.

I saw Brad Paisley right when he started getting big at a county fair here. I loved him!

My favorite was that I saw Rascal Flatts about a month ago. They do a lot of work for St. Jude's. They were singing a song called "My Wish" and brought a girl that was in the front row that has leukemia up on stage. I was crying! It was so touching!

Here's a video on youtube.com from when they brought her up! It's about a minute and a half in when Gary brings her up...

And 2 of the members are from Ohio and the 3 of them wrote a song about Ohio! It was so awesome! Here's that clip:

This was at the Columbus show but they did the same song for Cleveland!

I would pay BIG money to see them front row!!! I had NO VOICE the next day from screaming and singing!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Beatles - August, 1965, Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis.

Best. Concert. Ever. For me, being 17 and in love with The Beatles for a year and a half, it was a dream come true. *sigh*

Many James Taylor concerts - he is fantastic in concert!

I don't think I've got a "worst" concert experience.

Originally Posted by fifi1puss

David Gray. He is amazing live, I've seen him twice and always a pleasure. Small venue or large, he can put on a great show anywhere!
OMG! I love David Gray!!! He's coming to New York in October and I can't go. I've never seen him live in concert, but I bet he's incredible!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Best - Alice Cooper, Welcome to my nightmare. I think that was in 1975 or 1976 in Detroit MI. I was never a fan of Alice Cooper, but he put on an awesome show.
i would of so liked that. I am jealous. I like the theater rock.

And is not his home town? if I remember correct.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Best. Concert. Ever. For me, being 17 and in love with The Beatles for a year and a half, it was a dream come true. *sigh*
You saw the Beatles?

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Best: Billy Idol,1990 Charmed Life Tour @ San Francisco,CA Cow Palace
This was the first show after his ill-fated motorcycle crash.He limped across the stage and you could hear a pin drop.Then he RAN up and threw the cane into the audience! GREAT SHOW!

The Worst: This due to the horrible accoustics of the venue only!
The Smashing Pumpkins,1995 Mellon Collie and the Infinate Sadness Tour @ Sacramento,CA Arco Arena. Great show,great band...but they play LOUD! Sad because it was a killer concert.Garbage opened for them.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never saw a bad concert, mind, my experience is limited because of where I live.

The two best were at opposite ends of the music spectrum......well maybe not all that far apart musically when it comes down to where the group I am going to name got their ideas from. So here they are - Rolling Stones (Bridges to Babylon) and Little Jimmie Dickens. The venues were vastly different - saw Dickens at Danny Hoopers, a little Edmonton nightclub and many years later, saw the Stones at Commonwealth. Dickens was already elderly when I saw him, but that litlle old man could sure put on a show, and anyone at a table close to the stage got sang to individually - this little man (4'11") wearing a rhinestone suit and toting a guitar almost as big as he is actually went around and did this. The Stones?? Well, they were.........the Stones, my fave rock band since way back when Keith Richard still had a face.......er um, when everyone else liked the beatles.

The rest - Paul Revere and the Raiders, Michelle Wright, Lionel Cartwright, Three Dog Night, Streetheart and several others I can no longer recall off the top of my head were just fine to see.

The worst? Well, certainly NOT because of the music but because my free tickets to see John Denver (Northlands Coliseum, now Rexall Place) were up in the danged nosebleed section. Could hear just fine but this was before anyone but arena rockers had videotronsm and there were very few of those back then.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 25 yrs of living Ive never had the pleasure of going to a real concert. Id love to go to one especially Breaking Benjamin (hometown boys made big!) Chevelle, Three Days Grace, Saving Able, Theory of a Dead Man and if NSYNC ever got back together Id die to go see them..I love me some Justin Timberlake lol..I have seen plenty of cafe type shows and they were fun and interesting but IMO nothing like a forreal concert..Hopefully sometime soon Ill be able to go to a good concert its more feasible now that I got my license back!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let's see...

I've only been to a few concerts...

Howard Jones, KISS, The Untouchables, Beastie Boys, Van Halen, Blood Sweat & Tears

The best out of all of those would have to be Van Halen because I went backstage for a meet and greet and picked up the autographed guitar that I won in a contest.

The worst would have to be Beastie Boys and the only reason why is the opening act was L7 and they played for an hour! We were just about to riot when they left the stage. WHY would L7 play at a Beastie Boys/House Of Pain concert????

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My all time favorite concert was seeing Neil Young "unplugged" in 1982. It was an exclusive concert, housing only 500 seats. I was in the front row, no pit. It was like having him in my living room!

I have seen Neil about 30 times in concert, and love them all, but that was the best one!

My most disappointing concert was seeing Don MacLean in 1986. Again, it was a small theater. But he.....I don't know, must have been in a mood or something. He didn't play any favorite hits, or interact with the audience at all. He sat there and played one unfamiliar ballad after another, until I think we were all falling asleep.

The last concert I went to was Neil Young, 2006. He was awesome as usual!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

You saw the Beatles?
Yup. It was, in a word, incredible. Of course, that day, with thousands of screaming teenagers in the stadium, I'm amazed we heard anything. Maybe we didn't, what with sound systems not exactly being what they are these days.

We were absolutely convinced, though, that Paul kept looking at us.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered another really incredible concert. Joan Armatrading in 1990. She was....Wow!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Seriously awesome that you did that! That's straight out of rock history!

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first gig was when I was 14, I went to see the Manic Street Preachers which totally changed my life - that was one of the best along with seeing Seether earlier this year supporting Staind. Blur were also a lot of fun.

The worst would be Placebo, Marilyn Manson and gigs where the band don't have much presence or are disappointing because they can't actually sing or play their instruments.

I would love to see Seether headline their own gig over here, I'd also like to see Breaking Benjamin who won't fly so there's not much chance of seeing them. I would've liked to see Gun's n Roses in their early days, Nirvana and also the Manics when Richey was still around.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

In 25 yrs of living Ive never had the pleasure of going to a real concert. Id love to go to one especially Breaking Benjamin (hometown boys made big!) Chevelle, Three Days Grace, Saving Able, Theory of a Dead Man and if NSYNC ever got back together Id die to go see them..I love me some Justin Timberlake lol..I have seen plenty of cafe type shows and they were fun and interesting but IMO nothing like a forreal concert..Hopefully sometime soon Ill be able to go to a good concert its more feasible now that I got my license back!
*NSync was my FAVORITE band ever and the first concert I ever went to! I would pay big big money to see them if they got back together!

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Saw Fleetwood Mac in 97. They were beyond fantstic!
(my favorite band) BUT- tickets were supposed to be $75.00 for a decent seat--4-GET-IT!!! We paid close to $300.00 for nosebleeds! But they sounded great! Saw Stones in 75-no tickets to be found-I was DETERMINED to see them. None of my friends thought I could possibly get a ticket, so I went alone! Some sleazy old guy scalper ripped me off (I paid for an extra ticket-I think they BOTH cost me $15.00) I could probably sell that ticket on E-Bay today! (when I FIND it!)
Was worth every penny!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite was KISS in Edmonton 1977. I was right against the stage. I was 17. Gene Simmons handed me a rose.
Some nasty girl ripped in from my hand, left me with the thorns.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bcbc mom

Saw Fleetwood Mac in 97. They were beyond fantstic!
(my favorite band) BUT- tickets were supposed to be $75.00 for a decent seat--4-GET-IT!!! We paid close to $300.00 for nosebleeds! But they sounded great!
I saw them on that tour, too. It was really a great show. I also paid $75 for nose bleed seats! Worth it though, haha!

I saw Steve Winwood that year too. That was a great concert.

I didn't see the Rolling Stones until 1982. It was in Houston Tx and ZZ Top (hometown band) opened for them and pretty much stole the show!

Now a days I don't do well with crowds and noise. the only concert I go see is if Neil Young is touring in my general area. A Neil Young concert is worth putting up with some discomfort!