What are the best and worst concerts you've seen?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I did some googling and found when he was here:

August 6, 1991

If he ever comes back I'll not bother wasting my money on him.
I saw him during the Mercury Falling tour 96/97. I think the Soul Cages tour was a rough one because the album was about his parents who had just passed away. Not that it accounts for that evening but one never knows. Its a shame. That was one of my favorite cd's of his.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Brad Delp lived in the next town over from me!
Atkinson, NH. I worked at a supermarket in my teenage years and he would always come in the 12 item or less line. Wanna know what he bought?
He always came in about every day or two and bought Boboli pizza crust and some sort of topping. Like cheese or a green pepper. But always Boboli pizza crust. I kid you not.
He also drove a red VW beetle. He was one of the first ones to get the new version. It was funny trying to explain to the other young kids I worked with who the heck he was.
That's awesome.
As I was harkening back to that show earlier, I did some googling to find out what the band was doing these days, and came to find out that he in fact committed suicide. I hadn't realized that at the time, assuming that his death was the result of something a bit more "natural".

From everything I've read, just a hell of a nice guy.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

That's awesome.
As I was harkening back to that show earlier, I did some googling to find out what the band was doing these days, and came to find out that he in fact committed suicide. I hadn't realized that at the time, assuming that his death was the result of something a bit more "natural".

From everything I've read, just a hell of a nice guy.
I would not be suprised that he suffered from depression. He was extremely reserved and even solemn, if that is the right word for it. It took me FOREVER to say something to him.
What do you say? "Hey, I know you!"
When I did I was trying to be all cool
There was talk about them working on an album. I asked him if it had a release date yet and he gave me a sideways grin, said "It's not up to me I'm afraid" the other guy (I forget his name) was still in production, tweaking everything. He said he was a perfectionist and it will hopefully come out soon. He was quite personable.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I've seen Lacuna Coil and really loved them. Maybe you saw them on a bad night, or with bad sound setup? .
Bad sound, Scabbia's voice sounded warblely? like she was pushing her voice. She missed notes. But I also have to admit that I'm not really a fan of many metal bands with female vocalist - about the best sounding one, that I do like, would be Floor Jansen from After Forever (whatever it is she's doing now).

I'm glad you got to see NIN in a smaller venue. I'm sure that would make for a much better show. The one I saw them at was an arena show, in fact if you get the dvd from the With Teeth tour some of it is from the venue I was at.

It's too bad Queensryche had bad sound at your 88 show. I've found vids of them from 87 and 88 that the sound was great on, Tates vocal range was definitely a lot higher then - but at least his range was still decent during the Empire time.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best and most expensive was david bowie in Milwaukee Wi. I think it wa the Serious Moonlight tour. He was doing alot of theater in act back then.

Worst was Rush. (1981 maybe?) I love Rush but It was festival seating and I was so far back up the hill I could not tell who was who on the stage. I was young andfrightened. There were people on drugs running around and people barfing on the lawn. I went to the bathroom and could not find my freinds on the way back. When I finaly got back home at 3AM I was locked out of the house and decided to walk to Grandmas house 2.5 miles away in 2 inch platform/7 inch heels. A strange man offered me a ride. I took it. First and only time I ever took a hitchhike ride. Thank goodness he was not a weirdo. What a messed up night that was.

Thanks for the memorie

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
worst was Eagles reunion tour. they started over 1hour late. the whole thing was bad.
other than that i can't remember a bad one. but some that stick out are David Gilmour, Dio, TSO, Queen w/Freddy, Jethro Tull, Paul Rodgers.
i'm seeing Ac/Dc again this sunday and Billy Squier on 9/26. can't wait

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Best - Nine Inch Nails in June of this year. First (and looks like last since Trent's been saying NIN as a touring entity is done
) time I've even seen them. Totally blew me away. Got to see my absolute favourite song plus a few of my other faves. To top that off I got to meet Trent and the band before the show and see the soundcheck. No concert experience will ever top this one!!

Worst - I wasn't sure there was a worst until I saw someone on here mention the Smashing Pumpkins. It was back in 2000, after they announced their break up. They played at a festival and were the last act to go on. My friends and I were so bored - we were sitting on the hill at the venue falling asleep! The only reason why we stayed it so we could say we saw them on (what was at the time) their last tour.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Best:
Nickelback: I'm not a huge fan, but they had a tour with Staind and Daughtry so I figured that sounded like a good show. I was surprised how good Nickelback was! They has huge screen displays, lots of pyrotechnics/fireworks, and Chad talked to the audience a LOT. I was happily surprised.

Evanescence: Well, they were my favorite band when they first came when I was 16. I saw them a about 3 years ago at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC. I was amazed how clear and transcendent Amy Lee's voice was! She sounds so much better live!

Also, 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Three Days Grace, Staind, and the Foo Fighters all put on great shows.

Worst:
Tool: The lead singer hid behind the stage the whole time. I was so bored, I left after 45 minutes. They had graphics on the projecter, but they are only so interesting after so long.

Britney Spears: My best friend begged me to go. She drove, took me out to dinner, and paid for my ticket. It still was horrible. They don't even try to cover up the lip syncing, it's the same exact track from the CD. They never zoom in on her and she can barely dance anymore. I read a book by the light of my cell phone. lol

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best concert - green day. Not b/c I am huge fan but b/c they really put on such a great show!
A lot of energy and seem to really be fully into what they are doing and are great to the crowd.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best? The Who in 1974 while Keith Moon was still alive. OMG that was awesome!

The worst? Most of the bands playing at Dog Stock a few years back in rural Missouri. The cause was good, the bands left a lot to be desired.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^That reminded me of a garage band, literally playing in a garage down the road from where DH and I lived a few years ago. They were awful.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to my sister who is my concert companion. She made me remember more concerts. I know I am choosing alot of "bests" but I have seen alot of really good concerts. So a few additions if you don't mind....

Radiohead I cannot believe I forgot to mention them earlier! Best, best, concert.
I think I forgot because quite honestly it was so unbelievable, like an out of body experiance. It was an outdoor venue, so you could see the clear sky with all the stars as they were playing. It was so atmospheric. They are one of my favorite bands! It was such a good experiance.

B52's You would think that these older bands are just going out for the money and only give a half performance. If these guys were just going out for the money you wouldn't know it. It was such a good show. Energy, and their voices were sounding great. It was a smaller venue so it was like a huge party, everyone dancing. It was awesome!

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

Worst was Rush. (1981 maybe?) I love Rush but It was festival seating and I was so far back up the hill I could not tell who was who on the stage. I was young andfrightened. There were people on drugs running around and people barfing on the lawn. I went to the bathroom and could not find my freinds on the way back. When I finaly got back home at 3AM I was locked out of the house and decided to walk to Grandmas house 2.5 miles away in 2 inch platform/7 inch heels. A strange man offered me a ride. I took it. First and only time I ever took a hitchhike ride. Thank goodness he was not a weirdo. What a messed up night that was.
What the heck?! This sounds like the makings of a Lifetime movie.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to too many concerts.

Best - George Strait. He might not be big on special effects or the like but he's an entertainer and artist. No wonder he's won serveral Entertainer of the Year awards.

Also - the Bee Gees, Ray Stevens, KISS ( I saw them this year when they were at the local fair), and the late Les Brown.

Worst so far - Kenny Rogers. I love some of his music but his show was - for a lack of a better word - boring. He was overshadowed by his opener Ray Stevens. Most of the audience actually left his concert after a couple of songs......

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I was distracted a bit by the ugliness that is a B.C. Rich Warlock
Hey now! My first ever guitar back in the '80s was a red Warlock.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Def Leppard - Meh, kind of boring actually. Elliott's voice wasn't that good back in the 90s either. Their opener Ugly Kid Joe (anyone remember this one?) was even more boring.
I lost all interest in Def Leppard after "Hysteria", and I really don't like that album. "Pyromania" and "High N' Dry" are what I think of when it comes to Def Leppard.

A couple of days ago I was watching clips of Queen's "Live at Wembley" from 1986, I wish I could have seen them live while Freddie was still alive. I don't think there's a better show/frontman in rock history than Freddie Mercury.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best concert was in September 2006 when I went to see Robbie Williams....Omg he was AWESOME!!

I did go to it straight after a 12 hour night duty though, I travelled all the way to Milton Keynes from my town which took about 4 hours. I didn't drive of course, my Aunt did

In total I was awake for 31 hours, no sleep whatsoever! But my god, it was worth it!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't know about worst concert. I had a bad experience at a U2 concert, but they were still good. Tori Amos is a great performer, but she was a bit off the night we saw her.

I recently saw Steve Earle with a friend who loves country type music. I'm not a big fan, but I'm open-minded. He was awesome! He really put a lot into his performance and had great presence. The show wasn't fancy, just him up on stage with his guitars, but it was great. I really admired the energy he had!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

Best

Simon and Garfunkel Reunion in Central Park
Oh my gosh. You were there. It must have been transcendant!

Best concert for me is probably Springsteen at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, 1985, Born In The USA tour...

Or maybe Springsteen at the Bronco Bowl in Dallas, 1995, solo acoustic tour...

Or Simon & Garfunkel at American Airlines Center in Dallas, 2004, the Old Friends tour...

Or Uncle Walt's Band at Symphony Square in Austin, 1983...

Or John Sebastian at Liberty Lunch in Austin, 1981...

[Now I'm seeing that beautiful sailboat scene in The Way We Were, when Robert Redford and Bradford Dillman are trying to name the best year of their youth... "1945... '46...'47...'48..."
]

Worst: Well... I hate to say it, but as much as I love Sting's music, I too was disappointed when I saw him in concert. It wasn't terribly short, but it was so impersonal -- he barely spoke, and all the songs were perfect, fully-orchestrated reproductions of the records. I would have loved to just hear him sit down wth a guitar and play for us, y'know? Gordon Lightfoot was much the same way. Maybe they're uncomfortable with crowds.