Liver issues and Royal Canin?

RemyNKimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my kitty - Remy to the vet this past Thursday. They ran a full blood panel.
His liver values on a couple of tests are evalated.
He was diagnosed with Intercystitus. I originally fed him Purina but switched to Royal Canin Urinary food.
The vet seemed against me switching to Royal Canin....I should've asked but didn't.
I'm wondering if the Royal Canin may be the cause.
Also, to keep him hydrated, I've fed him Applaws Chicken Bone Broth. The only ingredient I would question is Guar Gum
which is a thickening agent. Does any have opinions on either??

Thank you for your feedback. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am not really familiar with any specific FOOD that is required for liver issues. There are supplements and medications for that issue. My guess is that your Vet handles Purina vs Royal Canin at their practice and that is why they may have been opposed to the switch, since Purina also has urinary food. That's only a guess though. Here is an article regarding FIC, another name for interstitial cystitis:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RemyNKimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if it's the Royal Canin that caused his liver issues. I'll read the article :thanks:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. Nothing is ever as simple as that. So, I doubt the food caused elevated liver enzymes. Stress could raise some of them, lack of eating can also do that. So, it all depends on what liver values were elevated.

What did your vet say about the elevated liver enzymes?

RemyNKimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will check his levels again in 3 weeks. The next step would be an Ultrasound. The funny thing is he's eating more than ever, has a healthy appetite. I should ask which levels and ask for a complete printout of his labs.

RemyNKimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The following is a copy of Remy's liver values:
1714603186253.png

Could this be cancer? He acts normal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think you can jump to a conclusion that those numbers are elevated due to cancer. They can point to a liver issue, but they are pretty non-specific in terms of the cause. Those enzymes are also produced, to a lesser degree, by the kidneys, muscles, heart, and pancreas. The one that might be the quickest to point to cancer would be the Alk Phosphate, which is normal.

What does your vet say?

RemyNKimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In 3 weeks we'll check his liver values again. If it's still high, they reccomend Ultrasound.
That's it. Should look at liver supplements or wait?
BTW, thank you so much for your feedback! :)