well here's the real story

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's good to hear from you. Go down to McClard's for some BBQ.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol you have no idea. i had already thought of going there tonight. I LOVE the que there.

I do feel better being here. It was a lot of stress getting everything going, no electricity, the cats etc. But at least that immense pressure is relieved. Once my PC gets here I'm sure i'll be ok.

it ended up costing a fortune to ship all my stuff. over 350.00 for fedex ground which is 5 days. ups was more expensive. eek. But at least it's all on it's way. most of the cost was the box for the pc. full tower, 60 pounds, and for the monitor. 50 poundes. 30 inch LCD. then one BIG box with all the peripherals etc.

I really didn't realize how much computer stuff i had there.

Dying to hear about my cats and see if they're improving. but I'll hear soon enough.

Thanks again for the well wishes everyone. I'll be back to browsing the forums like normal now
thank God we have broadband here.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that you made it safe & sound! Sorry the kitties are not doing so well, but hopefully they will adjust soon. At least they are together. that things work out for all of you!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, I've been reading this thread but haven't been able to post due to password issues (which the wonderful mods straightened out for me today! Thank you!!). All I can say is
. I'm so glad you made it to your mom's safely. Packing and finalizing everything is SO stressful but now you can breathe and regroup.

I'm sure you'll get your cats back sooner than you think. Are you able to get a daily report on them via email? I'm sure they will adjust ok, it just takes some longer than others. I'm thinking about you...please keep us up to date on how your babies (and you) are doing.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had the wheels come off my life a number of times, so I know how you feel. After all...do you think I MEANT to drive a truck when I graduated from college?

I'm serious about getting together up in Hot Springs some time. Coy's would be great; we'll even buy!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you've arrived safely and are on your way to settling in. Sorry the kitties are still spooked by the whole situation, but that's not so surprising, and I hope they settle soon and that their wait to be back with you is not too long. It would be great if a TCS relay could happen, and I'd happily participate if I were closer to the necessary route -- since I'm not I'll just send lots of TCS for both you and the kitties.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If someone wants to work a relay across I-10 I-20 I-30 I-40, if they wait until after the New Year I could probably do from something like Abilene and maybe up as far as Hot Springs.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I have had the wheels come off my life a number of times, so I know how you feel. After all...do you think I MEANT to drive a truck when I graduated from college?

I'm serious about getting together up in Hot Springs some time. Coy's would be great; we'll even buy!
MMmmmmmm! BBQ! Have some for me! Esp. TX style brisket!!!!!

More seriously, glad that you landed, JT. And I am sorry about Tinker and Wilbur being sooo scared. I have seen lots of cats come into rescue like that. But they are in good hands until you can get them back.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading all the posts I am glad you have arrived safe and sound.

Now we have to get serious about getting your cats to you. I am too far north to help in any driving efforts but if someone would need $$ for gas I would be willing to donate some funds.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
McClard's is in the top 20 BBQ places in the country. Their prices are reasonable, they're family run, and they're a little quirky.

McClard's BBQ

Coy's is really great, but their prices go way up during the racing season.

Coy's Steak House

They have the best prime rib we've ever had.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

McClard's is in the top 20 BBQ places in the country. Their prices are reasonable, they're family run, and they're a little quirky.

McClard's BBQ

Coy's is really great, but their prices go way up during the racing season.

Coy's Steak House

They have the best prime rib we've ever had.
Yum!!! I used to live down south (NC) and love all types of smoked Q. McClards sounds like my kind of place!!!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, if you manage to contact the lady who is fostering your kitties, here are some tips that I've learnt from others who foster frightened kitties who exhibit around the same symptoms as yours:

1. Keep them in an enclosed cage area (together if they prefer each other's company)
2. Drape a cloth over the cage to minimize external stimuli which will frighten them even more. If possible, put the cage away from other cats.
3. If they refuse to eat, serve them water which was used to boil chicken/tuna in.
4. If that doesn't work, have someone smear honey and some of the chicken/tuna water on their lips. The stickiness will encourage them to lick it off and hopefully the taste will make them regain their appetites.

If possible, keep them in an environment which is as quiet as possible. Hope these little tips help tide your kitties over this stressful time!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd be glad to meet up with you. i think that'd be great! Let me know when you'll be close to the area!

As for the cats, things aren't going very well. Here's the last email i got from the lady that's fostering them

Hi JT,
Glad you arrived safely. Well....Wilbur found a spot to lay up on the shelf in the laundry room, and I don't think he has moved in the last 24 hours. Tinker seems a little more responsive to me petting her, pushing into my neck scrathes, but she is shaking all the while...the poor thing. Unfortunately had to do the weekend laundry...so, I'm sure the big noisy machines are helping them relax any. Still don't seem to be eating much, although I hope they are eating something....but it is hard to tell. I tried giving them some tuna this a.m.....and I think Wilbur may have taken a bite or two.....but don't think Tinker has had any. I feel bad for them, they are so scared. I'm thinking about putting all the cats on the other side of the garage and in the utility room tonight, and giving them a chance to scout out the bigger section of the garage...the posts, etc. They will at least find the good hiding places. Anyway....that is where we are today. If you have any suggestions on how to make them more comfortable, let me know. Take care. . .
But then she sent this
A bit ago I opened up the catdoor from utility to garage......and was out playing with cats in garage, and first Wilbur and then Tinker had to come out to check things out for themselves..... We all played, they watched, and then Tinker decided to take a tour, walking around the garage smelling everything. They didn't go straight into hiding or anything....so that's hopeful.
My heart just aches for them. They are so innocent and they don't deserve this.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like they are with a caring person who is a cat lover. Unfortunately cats don't like change. When I moved, even though I was still there and all of the things went with me, my two still hid for quite a while before they came out to explore. It was several days before they were acting like themselves again. It will just take some time.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Hey, if you manage to contact the lady who is fostering your kitties, here are some tips that I've learnt from others who foster frightened kitties who exhibit around the same symptoms as yours:

1. Keep them in an enclosed cage area (together if they prefer each other's company)
2. Drape a cloth over the cage to minimize external stimuli which will frighten them even more. If possible, put the cage away from other cats.
3. If they refuse to eat, serve them water which was used to boil chicken/tuna in.
4. If that doesn't work, have someone smear honey and some of the chicken/tuna water on their lips. The stickiness will encourage them to lick it off and hopefully the taste will make them regain their appetites.

If possible, keep them in an environment which is as quiet as possible. Hope these little tips help tide your kitties over this stressful time!
Thanks. She is an experienced foster. I think she's OK. I mean they're scared but it sounds like she's working with them. that's a good thing. They are just petrified. They're like that at home too. Anytime the door knocks, they hide under the bed. Sometimes for hours. I don't know why. i have never raised my voice around them at all. it's strange.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being scared and timid is perfectly normal, especially for kitties who tend that way even under normal circumstances. That they have ventured out for a bit of exploring is encouraging, and the lady sounds like she knows what she's doing and how to help them. The big thing of course is that all adjustment must be on their terms and in their time. It's early days, and sounding hopeful.
to you, and many to your little sweeties.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Like all good pet owners, you obviously feel like you can never do enough for your babies. But I think the important thing to keep in mind here is that, in the face of life-altering circumstances, you recognized your current limitations and gave them a chance at a good life. How many times do read or see of someone that had something "come up", and all of a sudden their cats are left behind in an abandoned home? Or thrown into a shelter? For things FAR less severe than what you are experiencing.

None of that helps you right now, I'm sure. But for those on the outside that are watching your situation objectively, you are held in very high esteem.

Best of luck to you.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appreciate that Keycube, I really do. But the truth is I have failed on a massive scale. Like I said before, I don't care nearly as much about the 'things' i lost. those are replaceable. But what about parents with kids? if they get kicked out they can't just give them away. But that's how important those cats are to me.

There is no excuse here. I should have been better prepared.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, there is no way we can be prepared for everything life throws at us. You can't fight God or the IRS, because they're second in command(that's what my dad always said). Stop beating yourself up about that. The important thing is they are safe, and with a person that knows and understands cats and they are coming around. And, it's only temporary, just keep remembering that.

Actually, this may be good for you kitties in the long run. It sounds like they haven't been socialized much (no fault of yours) and this may help them relax a bit once they get back home with you. My MIL's one cat was extremely timid and we would only get a glimpse of her running from one room to the other (we were over ALL the time). Once my MIL build a screened in porch and started letting her out there, where she could "talk" to the barn cats through the screen she calmed down quite a bit and actually comes looking for pettings now.

When we moved, our one cat wouldn't come out to explore for 2 days, and this was with familiar furniture and the same family. The fact that the one started exploring, and they both were watching the other cats play, is a good sign. I think they will be fine there for now. And, they won't hold this against you...they will just be so happy to see you again!