Weight Control Support Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you guys mean.... Sometimes its hard... like tonight I had taco bell for dinner...

Here is something if you want something sweet....

When I had my wisdom teeth out a month ago all I could eat was jello pretty much. Well I got hooked on those little cherry jello cups with peaches in the bottom. They are sugar free, like 70 calories or something like that... and fix a craving well with a bottle of water... just enough, not too much (although I must admit I have eaten more than one a couple of times...........)

To help me with my water goal this week I went to walmart and bought a fridge pack of water bottles (you know like you do for coke cans, but this is cute little 12 oz water bottles... perfect size, not too big, not too small) That way they are there waiting for me, easy to get and grab on the go.

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay guys how did we all do at drinking our water last week? any body increase their intake? remember water burns calories, so if the oreos convinced you they were a good idea, just drink a glass of water to help you offset those calories a little (not all of them!) The colder the water is the more energy your body takes to heat it up, and the more calories you burn.

okay, now for this weeks goal.
Balance your lunch, eat like a kid.

This takes a little thinking ahead on your part. I work in a preschool and everyday the kids bring their own lunches. We require them to have one thing from each of the food groups. One protien, one fruit, one veggie, and one starch. This isnt as hard as it sounds.

If you eat a sandwich and have either lunch meat, cheese, or peanut butter on your sandwich, you have protien. Bread is starch, try for some wheat bread with at least 2 grams of fiber per slice.

Now for fruit, 5 strawberries, 1 kiwi, half an orange, apple slices, about 8 grapes, each is one serving of fruit. If you dont have fresh fruit, apple juice, oj and other 100% fruit juices can count, but have many more calories than the piece of fruit.

Veggies, the hard part. try some carrot sticks and ranch dressing, or broccoli and ranch dressing. Summer is coming up, so fresh tomatoes with a little salt and pepper is good. Or even some salsa with your chips counts.

and why not have a bottle of water with that lunch. If its too much for you at first, add a new group every day to your lunch. start with one you feel comfortable with and go on.

ok guys, lets try to eat a little healthier this week. If we are thinking about our lunches and making new habits (a habit takes 21 days to create) then soon eating healthy will become second nature. (it might even rub off on other meals.)

So everyone, tell us how you did on drinking more water! and dont forget to tell us how well the new lunch menu is coming along! Good luck

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind folks, we are *not* all following the same type of diet. I don't/won't be eating bread/pasta/rice - any carbs other than what is naturally in some vegetables for my lunch. For me, it isn't healthy to eat that way.

Yes, water intake is up, and this week I will increase my raw veggie intake at lunch instead of reaching for a can of no-salt green beans...more daikon, celery, lettuces, scallions, cucumber, cabbage.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jake and I are doing the first phase of the South Beach for 2 weeks. We really need to detox as our body is full of junk! But he seems to be sticking to it so far, but keep in mind, today is only the second day.

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I lost another pound! I'm very happy and proud of myself.

Some women at work have this weigh club where wednesday morning they go to the gym in our building and weigh themselves. If you gain a pound or more you put in a dollar. If you lose that is your reward.

The money goes towards lottery tickets.

I think its a good idea. I signed up and signed Lesley up to. She isn't shedding the pounds as fast as I am, I told her to keep trying and she might have to go under her points a few days.

Nearly at my first step goal of 10 lbs. 3 more to go.

bigkittendaddy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my 1st time in this thread and I just want to say keep up the good work.

The reason I'm posting here is that on the 3rd of Dec I had Roun-Y gastric bypass surgery done at the V.A. Hospital in Portland, Or. Since then I have gone from 425 to 298 in the last 6 months. If you are seriously obese like I was, (300 lbs or more or 150+ over weight) you might want to seriously look into this as I think it is great. There is a fair to good chance that your health insurance will cover it as it may be cheaper for them than the long term health maintennce down the road (high BP, Diabetes COPD, Congestive Heart Failure and the like).
I would caution though that it isn't a free pass. You have to make some very seriuos life style changes. While I can eat pretty much whatever I want I can't eat much iof it however.....more later

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigKittenDaddy

This is my 1st time in this thread and I just want to say keep up the good work.

The reason I'm posting here is that on the 3rd of Dec I had Roun-Y gastric bypass surgery done at the V.A. Hospital in Portland, Or. Since then I have gone from 425 to 298 in the last 6 months. If you are seriously obese like I was, (300 lbs or more or 150+ over weight) you might want to seriously look into this as I think it is great. There is a fair to good chance that your health insurance will cover it as it may be cheaper for them than the long term health maintennce down the road (high BP, Diabetes COPD, Congestive Heart Failure and the like).
I would caution though that it isn't a free pass. You have to make some very seriuos life style changes. While I can eat pretty much whatever I want I can't eat much iof it however.....more later
My uncle had to get that done. Dieting never worked for him and eventually a doctor told him he needed to have that surgery or his outlook wasn't good. He's literally half the man he was before! He has a hard time with a lot of foods though. For some reason he can't keep a lot of things down anymore. Obviously this surgery is NOT something to take lightly. IMO it should only be done in very serious cases where dieting and exercising are not effective and life is at risk.

On the note of dieting...please keep in mind that using the word "diet" is a hinderance in itself. By calling what you're doing "dieting" you've automatically got a stigma hanging overhead. For many people it automatically makes it a chore and something that feels like a giant pain in the neck. Though most people understand that fad dieting isn't an effective way to lose weight, many people insist on attempting it anyway, so if you feel the need to "diet" try giving it another word. Any choice to lose weight is really a choice to live a healthier lifestyle and thinking of it in this way as opposed to telling people "oh I can't eat that because of my stupid DIET" really helps to break down a great mental barrier for many people. Losing weight should be about wanting to be a healthier you and ultimately needs to be a lifestyle change, not something that you do for a few weeks and then quit. When we "diet" we more often than not lose the weight we want to, only to gain it back once we've fallen off the program or simply finished. Make a permanent change in your life and a promise to be the healthiest you you can be - nutritionally and physically. Don't forget that the ultimate weightloss occurs with proper diet and exercise...and that will always work better than any fad.

Now that I've said my little .02$, you all are doing a great job! It seems like many of you are making great strides. I think Weight Watchers is a wonderful program, good luck to those of you on it!! Keep up the great work!!!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm Becky, and I am FAT! I have to make some changes if I want to be healthy. So far, I used my exercise bike today, and my ab-lounger yesterday.

I like what I have seen here. Diets don't work for me, taking away foods doesn't work. I will commit to making healthy changes, and really like the idea of starting with a kid lunch. (Honestly, if I told myself no to sweets like I do to my kids...I would be fine! LOL!)

I don't like talking about this with friends, they either want me to become anorexic, or just want to talk about food so much it is counter-productive. Thanks for offering a simple way to start!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Hello, I'm Becky, and I am FAT! I have to make some changes if I want to be healthy. So far, I used my exercise bike today, and my ab-lounger yesterday.

I like what I have seen here. Diets don't work for me, taking away foods doesn't work. I will commit to making healthy changes, and really like the idea of starting with a kid lunch. (Honestly, if I told myself no to sweets like I do to my kids...I would be fine! LOL!)

I don't like talking about this with friends, they either want me to become anorexic, or just want to talk about food so much it is counter-productive. Thanks for offering a simple way to start!
That is too bad about not having friends to talk to about your weight. If it wasn't for the encourgement of my friends and mom I would have given up a long time ago.

Well, talk to us about it, we'll support you!!! To diet you don't have to take food away, you just have to make better choices. Like instead of the big bowl of pasta have some fish and veggies.

Good luck!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've lost a total of 8 lbs. I'm very proud of myself. I'm nearly at the weight I was when I firsh tried WW and later fell off the wagon.

We had our weigh club today, and I also got weighed at the doctor's this afternoon. Both scales read something different. That is kind of fustrating, but I'm going with the lowest weight and the one from the doctor's scale.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Creepyowl

I've lost a total of 8 lbs. I'm very proud of myself. I'm nearly at the weight I was when I firsh tried WW and later fell off the wagon.

We had our weigh club today, and I also got weighed at the doctor's this afternoon. Both scales read something different. That is kind of fustrating, but I'm going with the lowest weight and the one from the doctor's scale.
Great job! 8 pounds is a lot to lose!

I go by my nekkid weight first thing in the morning. No exercise today, back on the bandwagon tomorrow!

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
keep up with the water everyone! I have been averaging between 40-50 oz a day. not all I need, but a lot closer than I was 2 weeks ago! It is much easier to drink more water now that I have started doing it. Its like the more you drink the more you want. I have been doing good on my lunches. (it helps knowing I have to follow the same rules as the kids there.) I also found that in a pinch those healthy meals, healthy choice, smart choice, etc. are great to help control portion size on the run. They all make meals for low carb if that is your thing, and lean cusine has come out with these things called spa cusine where they use whole wheat pasta, brown rice instead of white rice and white pasta. I never bought them cause I thought they were expensive, and they kinda are, but when I am on the run its much cheaper at $2.50 for that than $5-7 bucks at a drive through! And I feel better about myself later. I live less than a mile from the street with all the fast food places. So everyday on the way to and back from class I drive past sonic, arbys, wendys, taco bell, McD, hardees, KFC, and burger king to name a few. We also have a chinese food place I limit myself to once a week, and a braums. Its hard cause it would be so much easier to just go through there, but I have started taking the long way around so that I dont even see the temptations. Before I moved here I never ate out. Now its a common thing.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

I also found that in a pinch those healthy meals, healthy choice, smart choice, etc. are great to help control portion size on the run. They all make meals for low carb if that is your thing,
Honestly, there is nothing prepackaged frozen dinnerish that is appropriate for the plan I follow - they are all too light on protein and veggies or use high carb veggies. But that's okay, I love to cook and prefer to...most not from scratch items have high sodium and artificial flavors etc. yuck!

and that's my real opinion!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lost another pound. Down 9lbs now and so happy! Trying hard to keep at it, with the pounds going I'm finding it easier to stick with the diet, like the loss is keeping me motivated!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! this thread fooled me haha...
because i was reading from the start i didnt really pay attention to the dates.. i was wondering why I couldnt see the pics of Heidi and the others.. and i was definetely wondering why Adymarie was back at work haha!
*fwan is so stoopid some times!*

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow i can't believe this thread is 107 pages long!!!!!!!

anyway, i have gained a total of 10kg in the last year...
I just can't seem to get it off for the following reasons:
1. I can't seem to motivate myself to do any exercise
2. I keep saying i'll start tomorrow
3. I just... I can't control my cravings. I mean these cravings are killing me... I just start eating and i can't stop. And i'm not big ... I am actually very small. I'm 5'5" and i used to weight 110lb. And then in he last year i put on 20lb.... that's 20% of my body weight. i know there will be people out there who say well for 5'5" 130lb is not medically over weight but that's not the point. I mean the bottom line is i have to be happy with how i look right?

I'm miserable... Last night i was watching TV and i thought... I want to eat something. I wasn't hungry. In fact i'd just had dinner. I just couldn't say no. Sitting there and not going to fridge to get something was torturous. I mean i could litereally feel myself struggling with some undescribable desperate need to eat. It's like the moment i think "i want to eeat something" i just have to follow through on that thought. Anyway, I caved in. And I keep on caving in on my goals.

I can't wear any of my old clothes... I hardly ever want to go out anymore... This weight gain is affecting every single area of my life. I can't go to the beach... I don't go to clubs anymore... I've stopped wearing fitted clothing...

I wake up the morning with good intentions and then... the littlest problem/thing can make me cave in and eat a whole bag of chips. I don't know if food has become the problem solver but everything always seems better when i am eating and then 50 times worse once i've stopped and realised that i shouldn't have eaten in the first place...

I feel like i've tried everything to regain control over my eating habits... I just can't seem to do it. I so wish i could have some will power. Just enough to eat a sensible breakfast and a sensible dinner or lunch. I feel like i'm a slave to my appetite and to food. Every day is like a constant battle with the scale and the fridge and my weight.

One half of my brain says no and the other half says YES YES YES! MORE CAKE!! MORE CHOCOLATE!!

I don't know what to do....
I really need to get this weight off. You guys have any advice for me?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zazi are you my long lost twin?

I dont knwo whether you live alone or with your parents, but when i go grocery shopping i literally buy nothing for me unless if its cheese.
I dont go to the chips isle in the supermarket or else i will stop and put something in my trolly, im not intrested in sweets so its not really a problem but when i walk past a bakery or such and see the word "Kase Kuchen" its over, wednesday night i bought a big chunk that was on sale from the bakery and it took me untill yesterday evening to eat it, i ended up chucking the rest out because it didnt taste any good this morning lol...

But i can give you a tip... If you eat a big lunch of pasta or rice, you will not feel hungry for the rest of the day.. and just have some fruit or veggies for dinner.
Bf and i got this from italy we realised how full we were from eating in a restaurant and that was only some hot chips and a bowl of pasta.
Unfortunaltely back home he cant do that because of his work schedule and me babysitting but if you can do it you will realise you will lose weight a bit quicker...

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went on a healthy eating fad at the start on February, and managed to lose just over a stone in about 8 weeks. Problem is, I then went on holiday for a week and haven't been able to find my motivation since. My biggest problem is alcohol. I can have a really good day, count the calories and only reach about 1,200 by 7pm, but then I go and ruin it with a couple of glasses of wine. I know I'm a muppett, but I have an off license literally next door so it's just sooooo easy!! Of course, alcohol also makes it easier to 'just have one' of those choccie biscuits in the fridge!

My plan is to start again week after next when I have a week off work, that way I can have proper home made food all week. This is also the week that my kittens move in, so I should have plenty to keep my mind off food!

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Zazi are you my long lost twin?

But i can give you a tip... If you eat a big lunch of pasta or rice, you will not feel hungry for the rest of the day.. and just have some fruit or veggies for dinner....
Very true... But try telling that to the evil diet killer in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.