We Are Getting A Puppy!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh thanks! And Tricia thank you so much for your PM - Sandy is 1/2 Border Collie so we are thinking her eyes will stay light, her mother's are blue.
Daddy is a big, black lab.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Eddie! I can't believe it, you have a puppy! How awesome!

Congrats on Sandy! My two terrors (they are ten months old) have caused much havoc in this household but they are so loveable! Send her over here!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Oh Eddie! I can't believe it, you have a puppy! How awesome!

Congrats on Sandy! My two terrors (they are ten months old) have caused much havoc in this household but they are so loveable! Send her over here!
Sam, I would love to!! We are sleep deprived -- it's like having an infant on caffeine all night. She does travel well, we take her everywhere, and she really behaves in the truck or car for even long periods of time. This is a sad note, but Eric lost his grandmother this afternoon in Utah very suddenly to a heart attack in her own home, and he's driving there early next week. He will take Sandy - it will make him feel better.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm very sorry to hear about Eric's Grandmother!

Melody & Zeppelin sleep well during the night (they have a large crate) even when we first got them, it's the ripping up off carpet that disturbs us. The only way we can avoid that is by having a house full of meaty bones! Ewww!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Gosh thanks! And Tricia thank you so much for your PM - Sandy is 1/2 Border Collie so we are thinking her eyes will stay light, her mother's are blue.
Daddy is a big, black lab.
I've never had a Border Collie, but I know they're reputed to be extremely intelligent, high-energy dogs that need a "task". Germany's most famous dog (I think his name is Rico) is a Border Collie that can recognize the names of, and fetch, well over 100 stuffed toys. He's been on TV several times. Maybe you could try something similar with Sandy - otherwise she'll be herding your cats!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've never had a Border Collie, but I know they're reputed to be extremely intelligent, high-energy dogs that need a "task". Germany's most famous dog (I think his name is Rico) is a Border Collie that can recognize the names of, and fetch, well over 100 stuffed toys. He's been on TV several times. Maybe you could try something similar with Sandy - otherwise she'll be herding your cats!
That is so cool you said that. I think so too! Just last night in a quiet moment --a rare occurance
-- I said "Sandy!!! Look girl, fetch!" -- and threw her puppy out into the room....she ended up fetching and returning 4 times - and she turns 8 weeks today.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad has a Border Collie/Greyhound cross - couldn't ask for a more loyal dog obedient dog. We rescued her from a farm where she lived in a small cage with five other dogs, she wouldn't come near us when we first picked her up but now we can't get her off us!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

Aww Eddie - I'm thinking of you and Eric. How sad.
Thanks so much you guys. It felt kinda weird to insert that - didn't mean to cause a big deal - it's just that Sandy is so very tied to Eric now and don't you feel better when something sad happens to run to your kitties? I know I cradle Sasha until he begs for mercy.
Eric is a very strong person as am I and having Sandy with him will just make him so happy. She is bright....but I hope bright enough to be obedient in puppy school when she's ready.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure she will be - because she'll want to do things that please you and Eric and that she gets praise for. She'll be bright enough to cotton on to what's good I'm sure

Sending lots of "obedient puppy" vibes for Sandy

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Thanks so much you guys. It felt kinda weird to insert that - didn't mean to cause a big deal - it's just that Sandy is so very tied to Eric now and don't you feel better when something sad happens to run to your kitties? I know I cradle Sasha until he begs for mercy.
Eric is a very strong person as am I and having Sandy with him will just make him so happy. She is bright....but I hope bright enough to be obedient in puppy school when she's ready.
My best wishes and sympathy for Eric and his relatives in this difficult time. Sandy has been more or less bred for obedience, as both Border Collies and Labs are "working dogs", and their good dispositions are highly appreciated. Her puppy stage will probably be trying, but once she settles down you'll know what you have in her.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tricia thank you...those are great things to remember. I will probably print out this entire thread for Eric to read while he's traveling.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to also express my sympathies for the loss of Eric's Grandmother.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh E - please tell Eric I send my condolences and you both are in my thoughts.

marlearn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, My condolances on your loss.
I just wanted to say I have a Border Collie/Lab/Shepheard mix dog who I rescued 9 years ago when he was 4 months old, and he is a love. He is sweet and loving and very smart. He was a handfull and a half as a pup. He loved to chew everything!!!! I mean everything, carpets,shoes wires,walls chairs,toys,socks,towels pillows, and on and on and on. He is still a very ative dog. He loves to play catch with tennis balls. He loves to run run run, and walk in the woods and explore. He is a sweetie to my 2 cats who I have adopted over the past 2 months. He is the best dog I have ever had. When I saw the photo of your puppy, I had to respond as that photo reminded me of Buddy(my dog) as a puppy. Enjoy your sweet new addition!!! I wish you the best!!!!

glowbugm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi--sorry to hear about Eric's grandmother. It is hard.

It looks like you have had some good answers about rescue remedy. there are lots of flower essences for different things, very interesting, i used some of them for charlie when he was sick. rescue remedy is a standard mix of a few of them and many people swear by it. it is for anxiety, and kitties can take it. being homeopathy, the dose is so small my vet is never concerned that i am interfering with anything he recommends. i hope sasha adjusts soon--maybe he is saying, this is what i think of this new puppy mom....something for me to poop on! hopefully he will soon see the puppy is not growing into a coyote. when we first got our dog, he was already 90 pounds and charlie looked at him like "what the hell is that thing?" Now they are the best of friends. at first we confined our new dog in his crate and left charlie free to investigate and roam as he wished. he soon figured out this hulking puppy was not a threat, and charlie had all the control.

i love the description of saba--, on her own diva schedule. i've seen her jump over our dog, and attack his tail on it's way by. i am sending very good wishes to sasha.