We Are Getting A Puppy!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is! I am very interested in Saba's reaction to a female besides herself. And also Sasha, but he's such a gentle, laid-back giant..... it will be a very interesting couple of weeks in adjusting. But for now, she will have the upstairs guest bathroom which is quite large and downstairs garage (like there's an upstairs one or something?
) and they have the entire rest of the house.....there's enough room for all. CROSSING FINGERS IT ALL WORKS!!!!

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops!
Actually, I tend to do that when I meet dogs on the street... "Isn't he a cutie!" I say, and then am promptly corrected!

I think it's because I have two boy kitties, that I tend to refer to any cat or dog I see as "little guy"!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good grief! I've checked the statistics, and I think it's altogether possible that Sandy is the cutest. puppy. ever!

Anyone want to recheck my calculations?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH, E!!!! What a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETheart!

I grew up with a lab/spaniel mix who was more lab than spaniel. Rob's cousin has border collies. How very lovely!!

Yeah, I'm a cat person -- I don't ever want to be without a cat. But when I have the space and the lifestyle, I'll have a dog, too. For now, I just stop every dog on the street to have a conversation.
Most of them are more than happy to talk.

What a sweet little person. More pics, please!! And, of course, updates on introductions!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She won't be the smallest for long, judging by the size of her paws. Labs are very accepting dogs, and generally get along with other species very well. Given her Lab/Border Collie pedigree, don't be surprised if she starts to "herd" the cats, or any small children visiting. Both breeds are very nurturing. A friend's daughter, now in her 20s, had to get used to being turned around when she crawled "too far" in her diaper stage, and my sister's kids had to put up with the same thing when they were at my parents' house.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

She won't be the smallest for long, judging by the size of her paws. Labs are very accepting dogs, and generally get along with other species very well. Given her Lab/Border Collie pedigree, don't be surprised if she starts to "herd" the cats.......
Tricia.
I actually am looking forward to seeing that! Did you think her paws were big? I thought they were so small in person, maybe the photo makes them larger....we shall see!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked out the pictures again, and I think her "adult" weight will be at least 40 - 60 lbs. Not that that means too much - my sister has three dogs and two cats, and after her Shetland-Pony-sized Great Dane died, she took in a St. Bernhard puppy from the local shelter. The boss in the house is her 12-lb. disabled orange tabby!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

Elizabeth, how is Sandie adjusting?
And how are Sasha and Saba doing with the new puppy?
Hi Jenn, I had to wait until last night to have Eric bring her home. He worked a 70 hr shift so he'll be taking her to work and she'll be out of the house 12 hrs each day, so actually this will work well - give the kitties some quiet time.
She was a little luvvie. She curled up with Eric in bed and slept through to 5 am, and then he took her out to pee, and then she was "up" - which got me up 1 hr early (I am bleary-eyed today) and then she settled back down. She didn't want to be in her new bed we got by Eric's side, she wanted to be his little princess IN bed w/ him. We found out her BD was Feb 8 so she's only 7 weeks! It feels like we gave birth and now we have an infant!!!! But she is very good. In about a month she will be so rambunctious she'll move to the garage at night.

Saba is very curious, they are the same size, and after she got the entire house up at 5 am Sasha jumped on the bed, not realizing she was there and just peered at her. He sniffed around her. She just sits very still and is very cooperative. But Sasha HUGE compared to her...Sandie was more interested in playing with something her own size: Saba!
Saba didn't arch or hiss, neither did Sasha....so we are crossing our fingers.....so far, so good.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I think you'll be surprised at how well cats and dogs can get along, often better than with their own species. We used to have a Boxer that fought with just about every dog he encountered, male or female, but was wonderful with our cat and others, and Jamie makes up with dogs right away, while cats are a different story.

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

She won't be the smallest for long, judging by the size of her paws. Labs are very accepting dogs, and generally get along with other species very well. Given her Lab/Border Collie pedigree, don't be surprised if she starts to "herd" the cats, or any small children visiting. Both breeds are very nurturing. A friend's daughter, now in her 20s, had to get used to being turned around when she crawled "too far" in her diaper stage, and my sister's kids had to put up with the same thing when they were at my parents' house.
IMO, a Lab is one of the best dogs a person could have. They are very loving, gentle and have a "mama bear mentallity" when it comes to children and smaller animals.

I have a pure bred male Choc. Lab who weighs 125 lbs! But don't worry about that E, because the average male lab weighs 70-80 lbs. Our big bear is just a huge, big boned bear. Our son loves to play with him but when he gets enough, he'll pulled at our son's pants in the back to let him know. It looks like that classic photo of the little kid with the dog pulling his pants down showing his bottom!

You're in for lots of good times and tons of "doggie kisses"! You will all enjoy having Sandie and believe it or not, the kitties will too!