Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

welcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that Wellness and Old Mother Hubbard is not part of the Recall.

Thank you
Nicole
Wellness & Old Mother Hubbard

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long before the symptoms shows up?? Within 24 hours? A week?

I asked my vet and he did not have a lot of info to share with me aobut this!
He said only 10 cats have died from this..
Meaning this is no big deal? He said it's very very UNLIKELY that my cats would be affected by this..
He said to bring them in if they stop eating, if there's changes in litterbox habits or behavior... I am not impressed so I'm calling another vet for a 2nd opinion but if any of u know about the timespan for this, pls let me know ASAP!!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603

It dosen't affect Fancy Feast / Pro Plan who are PURINA - they did not use Menu Foods to make their stuff. It is NOT Wheat that is the problem but tainted wheat which Menu Foods via a new supplier that caused this problem. Obviously the supplier has been dumped. It only affects the chunck and sauce type cans with specific best used dates.

Best to check the list to be sure. Here it is once more.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
Re. the discussion about WHEAT and/or Wheat Gluten...I think the issue is that many people (myself included) will not trust *any* food with "wheat gluten" or "wheat" until we feel like *all* of the details have been investigated and released.
Regardless of any list, I'm not serving any wheat right now.
Better safe than sorry.

Originally Posted by Hell603

The IMPORTANT thing to know is that it only affects chuncks and gravy type wet manufactured between

December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007

That is why the "best by dates" are super important!!

NOT every can in your house is necessarily affected - double check the list!

I DID!
I'm not convinced yet that the list in inclusive of all affected food. Like I said, no wheat here for now.

Of course we may find out that it wasn't even the wheat, but something else. For now, who knows? If something like this was allowed to happen, why should I put my trust in the list or the info in the news?

Originally Posted by Welcat

Hi!

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that Wellness and Old Mother Hubbard is not part of the Recall.

Thank you
Nicole
Wellness & Old Mother Hubbard
Thank you.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so is it just wet food then being recalled?
I am assuming thats it.........

I guess mine should be safe, because they dont get wet food.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by melbo

Two weeks ago, we had an internal hygenist come out to our home to help us search for any possible causes. They looked for anything, anywhere the cats could have ingested something containing phenols, glycols... basically anything that could act like antifreeze in an animals system. They also tested our dry food storage container for a specific mold toxin. Last week the results all came back negative. One thing we didn't test was our wet food pouches. They were picked up yesterday to be brought to a lab.
It will be very interesting to see what an independent lab comes up with. I hope you will share this information with us when you get it.

Continued vibes and prayers for your two. Please keep us updated on their progress, and your progress as you go through this. I certainly hope you are successful at recouping your money from Nutro. That's the least they owe you.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I also called to get an estimate on how much it'd cost to have blood tests done and it'll cost about $75 per cat so that means almost $500 for all 6 of my cats to be tested! I am sooo torn about this- should I go ahead and have them tested just to be safe or wait and see if symptoms show up then rush them to the vet hoping not too much damage has been done???

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

I asked my vet and he did not have a lot of info to share with me aobut this!
He said only 10 cats have died from this..
Meaning this is no big deal? He said it's very very UNLIKELY that my cats would be affected by this..
He said to bring them in if they stop eating, if there's changes in litterbox habits or behavior... I am not impressed so I'm calling another vet for a 2nd opinion but if any of u know about the timespan for this, pls let me know ASAP!!!
Humph...you can tell your vet it is more than that..from the crf list I am on, from other lists I am on, I've read of more, and with those realizing what may have caused their cats & dogs deaths now reporting it, that number will go up in the more current reports on this. I am less than impressed with your vets attitude!
I think it is up to you...if you have been feeding these foods for some time, I would take your cats in for baseline bun and creatine levels, check of urine for specific gravity...if that is prohibitive to do, I'd simply watch them like a hawk for any changes in attitude (look for lethargy, or just being more quiet/less playful/less talkative than usual), change in appetite (may be a bit hard to assess as we all change what we are feeding), change in box habits - are they peeing more often, does it seem the box is wetter or if using clumping, has more or larger pee clumps, are they vomitting - more than usual, not hairballs...particularly look for foamy white, and signs of nausea - rapid lip licking for one.

rob119

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet has been treating one of my cats for seizures he had last week (still waiting for test results). So he did call me back pretty quickly this morning since now I fed that cat and my other cat a pouch of the listed Nutro food last night. He says he does not have much information but the type of toxin can be nasty and affects would probably occur fairly quickly, within a couple of days at the most. He suggests a baseline kidney test function for them and all you can do is watch to see how they feel - all the symptoms we have read about, lethargy, vomiting, not eating, etc.

Hope this helps somewhat. But I think it is all happening too quickly for anyone, even vets, to know how it will play out.

Chris

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am tooo... but as we saw with the diamond recall things can happen evan with good manfacturing practices... I will be asking why the canned food is made at a different plant not owned by the company...

here are the few foods without wheat gluten with some type of gravey

meow mix
sheba in the tubs
wysongs au jus ( not complete)
merricks
solid gold ( not real gravy but some)
Evos 95% meat ( not complete)
I was really pleasantly surprised to find that Sheba actually only has like three or four ingredients in their tubs of "chicken breast" dinner. It's like Chicken Breast, guar gum, and two other ingredients which make the sauce.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I have to say this makes me feel very lucky. I used to feed the Nutro pouches, but then a couple months ago Maggie turned her nose up at it & absolutley refused to eat it. I'm glad that she is Princess Picky Pants.
I am thankful to my snobby girl too
.... I tried like heck to get them to eat the Nutro wet/pouch food..... LuckyGirl tolerated it up to 1/2 fancy feast elegant medleys & 1/2 Nutro wet.....once I started taking the FF away, she would not eat it, and would cry & beg incessantly.....
Thankfully I have a smart & picky girl....
I do give them Nutro dry though.....I am praying that isn't affected in the near future..... it's the only "kitten" kibble that both Louie & LuckyGirl will eat.....

melbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

I also called to get an estimate on how much it'd cost to have blood tests done and it'll cost about $75 per cat so that means almost $500 for all 6 of my cats to be tested! I am sooo torn about this- should I go ahead and have them tested just to be safe or wait and see if symptoms show up then rush them to the vet hoping not too much damage has been done???
From what I have been told by my vet and learned through this whole ordeal, the symptoms for Acute Renal Failure progrees very quickly. Wrigley was fine one morning, and by days end he had become lethargic, dehydrated, moaned at any attempt to rub his belly, and began to vomit his food. He stopped urinating as well.

Adler started to show signs (lethargic, depressed, and very thirsty) a day later but did begin to vomit until 3 days later.

I believe with CRF, the onset is gradual. Their kidneys will begin to swell over time and they will actually urinate more... not less.

I suggest you bring any cat that shows any of these signs in for BUN and creatinine level blood work. If they come back with any results that indicate an elevated progression, I would have the rest tested immediately. Believe me, I wish I had brought both our cats in when Wrigley first showed signs. Adler would be better off right now.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have made an appointment to bring three cats in tomorrow at 3:15 to be tested for this. PLEASE let the tests turn out negative that there's nothing wrong. I'm praying real hard about this. I just don't know what I'd do if anything happens to any of my babies..
Thinking about it just makes me SICK.

After thinking long and hard about this, I've decided to take Tango and Pepper for sure since Tango has been a bit less active for the last couple months (thought it was due to him getting older but who knows?) and they both tend to eat Nutro the most. I probably will bring Zebra since she has been acting pretty clingy the last couple days or Buddy who tend to vomit a lot and tend to be skinny... I am pretty torn about which to take-Zebra or Buddy. *sigh*

I will keep you guys posted on this. I just can't focus on work!
I'll be leaving work early today so I can go home and make sure my cats are still okay.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I was really pleasantly surprised to find that Sheba actually only has like three or four ingredients in their tubs of "chicken breast" dinner. It's like Chicken Breast, guar gum, and two other ingredients which make the sauce.
By Nature pouch foods ((product of china) are also pretty simple..the proteins and then some corn starch, and vitamin/mineral supplements only.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a little confused. Even though only Nutro pouch foods are on the recall list, Petco has pulled all Nutro wet food, including the cans, from their shelves. Is that just a better safe than sorry measure? I do have a few Nutro cans still in my cabinet, and I won't be feeding them until the extent of the problem is clear (particularly the ones that contain wheat gluten)... but while my cat has only eaten the pouch food occasionally, he ate a lot of the Nutro canned.

Does anyone know why the cans are being pulled from shelves as well? Is it Petco's idea, or Nutro's?

I'd assumed from the fact that the cans weren't on the list that Nutro hadn't used Menu Foods as a supplier on its feline canned food.

I'm bringing my cat to the vet for the colitis, just to get him checked out.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I am thankful to my snobby girl too
.... I tried like heck to get them to eat the Nutro wet/pouch food..... LuckyGirl tolerated it up to 1/2 fancy feast elegant medleys & 1/2 Nutro wet.....once I started taking the FF away, she would not eat it, and would cry & beg incessantly.....
Thankfully I have a smart & picky girl....
I do give them Nutro dry though.....I am praying that isn't affected in the near future..... it's the only "kitten" kibble that both Louie & LuckyGirl will eat.....
Nutro dry is the only food I've found that all four of mine can eat without someone having diarreha. I just tried to switch to NB dry (they eat the wet) but it upset Isaacs tummy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

I'm a little confused. Even though only Nutro pouch foods are on the recall list, Petco has pulled all Nutro wet food, including the cans, from their shelves. Is that just a better safe than sorry measure? I do have a few Nutro cans still in my cabinet, and I won't be feeding them until the extent of the problem is clear (particularly the ones that contain wheat gluten)... but while my cat has only eaten the pouch food occasionally, he ate a lot of the Nutro canned.

Does anyone know why the cans are being pulled from shelves as well? Is it Petco's idea, or Nutro's?

I'd assumed from the fact that the cans weren't on the list that Nutro hadn't used Menu Foods as a supplier on its feline canned food.

I'm bringing my cat to the vet for the colitis, just to get him checked out.
Petco corp say to since I guess Nutro corp may have asked... the mgr at my Petco was suprised when I gave him both the Menu site and Nutro site recall list .... I was happy so that I did nt get the why is the out and not that questions...

FYI on the late news last night ... Menu foods had reported that none of the foods they had tested within the "affected" batches had any problems at all....

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This whole thing sounds so sketchy still. Ten cats out of the millions that probably ate the food is so, so small. I am not saying this is not serious, but you would think that more cats would be dieing from this if a toxin where present in the food. I am sure it takes a lot of testing to connect the illness directly to the food (and not something else they had contact with in their environment).

If you remember the Sarah Lee lysteria scare (with lunch meat) -- it took them a long time to figure out what the problem was, what plant, what meat was affected -- that was really disasterous.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesali

half Fancy Feast, half Purina Pro Plan... now I don't know if they are within the recall, but they do have wheat gluten, so they're out of the 'lineup' for now

I have read the ingredients on a few cans of Fancy Feast and have found no wheat gluten? What flavors are you referring to?
i found it in:
Salmon Feast in Gravy (4th in list)
Turkey Feast in Gravy (same, 4th in)
Chicken and Beef Feast in Gravy (4th in)
Liver and Chicken Feast in Gravy (4th in)

cans are darn hard to read... tiny print, white on light colors... argh.

JoJo's being a freak right now, on the printer, attacking my PC microphone... sheesh. They're both being their normal psychotic selves... i don't think either are suffering from bad food... thank God. Jack was chasing after JoJo earlier...

They refused to eat their food yesterday... I'm wondering if it was a bad can and they could tell... never know with these two... they normally don't refuse loaf food...

Amanda