Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my gosh, i'm so sorry to hear about this. what will nutro do with your records you gave them?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Some of the Meow Mix pouch flavors do contain wheat gluten.
Yes thank you ... I only use three flavors that are wheat and by product free///

EVERYONE READ the LABELS...

Likely the Nutro rep told you what was on the Nutro site ( I pulled a copy to take with me for this weekend... AT this pt all the food s on that list are VOLUTEERALY RECALLING .... As for me I am Not Feeding any canned from companies on the list and am going to likely get canned from my vet ( cal nautral and solid gold ( whom I will be calling tomarrow and trying to ensure they didnt go thru those plants too )... My younger one is eating her Nutro dry and my dog is eating her dry"cookies" made by Nutro ...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by melbo

We'll continue to update with more info as we receive it. Thanks to all who welcomed us to this site!
Thank you for your important contribution to this thread.
Your kitties will remain in my prayers as they are nursed back to health.

I did exactly as you suggested.
I learned about the recall Friday night.
Both Sadie & Dexter had been eating recalled Nutro pouches.
Sadie was not feeling well.
Saturday morning at 8AM I took them into our vet hospital.
They were examined and both had a full blood panel and complete urinalysis.
I have been waiting anxiously all day for the vet to call with the lab results.
The news is good.
Neither of my kitties have suffered ARF even though they ate the recalled food.
If I had not gone ahead with the lab work...
I would still be guessing about whether their kidneys had been damaged.
This is such a relief.

Please...
if your kitties ate any of the recalled food and if they are showing any acute change in their health, don't delay.
Get them to a vet for lab work.
Better safe than sorry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

The news is good.
This is such a relief.

Please...
if your kitties ate any of the recalled food and if they are showing any acute change in their health, don't delay.
Better safe than sorry.
Hugs to both of them....

I THINK YOU did the RIGHT THING TESTING immediately .... and now at least have a baseline for the future....

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The news is good.
This is such a relief.

Please...
Better safe than sorry.
Oh thank God they're OK, Lei!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Hugs to both of them....

I THINK YOU did the RIGHT THING TESTING immediately .... and now at least have a baseline for the future....
I agree..
Unrelated to the recall food...
Sadie did show some small crystals in her urine and very early CRF.
We will re-test her urine in 30 days.
I feel blessed because I can begin to address Sadie's early CRF.

I say....
if in doubt, get your kitties tested.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank god you got them tested and can address any issues as they arise......glad it's good news!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

thank god you got them tested and can address any issues as they arise......glad it's good news!
Thank you....
it is a HUGE relief.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lei,

What a blessing to have discovered the crf now while it is very early..so much can be done, and it's far better to discover it while it is early. If you want the url of the support group I (and dawnofsierra) am on, please pm me.

Glad there was NO arf...

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I personally have tried a raw diet with mine and they just wont go for it, no amount of mixings, flavourings or anything else will make them take more than a few mouthfuls before walking away, so they are back on commercial food, despite the fact they do get 'human food' treats.

And some people in this thread are blaming themselves, even if they are not voicing it, and the raw debate really doesn't have a place here - it needs to be about information on which foods are tainted and possible symptoms of a sick cat.
Who's mentioned raw? I certainly haven't. My cats get the occasional titbit of cooked food off our plates. The only raw we eat is the occasional salad in summer. Like everyone else I'm worried too incase we get this problem in the UK so I'm thinking ahead on alternatives and the only logical alternative I can come up with is to feed our cats the same cooked food as we eat ourselves. We eat a lot of cooked chicken, beef and fish - all things our cats like anyway.

As for "fault" and "blame". I'll reiterate. The only "fault" or "blame" lies solely with the manufacturers. No cat or dog owner is to blame for this awful thing happening.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

Ohhh- I do hear you! I'm sorry if I sounded like I ignored your posts about this.

I think that's a great idea about creating a thread for cats who may get crf/arf from this so that way it'll be more specialized.. What do you think?

I can tell you really do care from all the posts you have posted and I wanted to THANK you for being there for us...
No, I didn't think you were, just felt like what I had said was getting buried and unread. solution is a seperate thread
which I will begin later tonight.

Thank you...I sure do care. I adore my cats, and care for the fellow tcs'ers cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Python

Who's mentioned raw? I certainly haven't. My cats get the occasional titbit of cooked food off our plates. The only raw we eat is the occasional salad in summer. Like everyone else I'm worried too incase we get this problem in the UK so I'm thinking ahead on alternatives and the only logical alternative I can come up with is to feed our cats the same cooked food as we eat ourselves. We eat a lot of cooked chicken, beef and fish - all things our cats like anyway.

As for "fault" and "blame". I'll reiterate. The only "fault" or "blame" lies solely with the manufacturers. No cat or dog owner is to blame for this awful thing happening.
Actually so far it looks like a SUPPLIER then Manufactur issue... as if it is a substance the manufacturs arent supposed to test it would be the supplier

as a partial raw feeder I am going to try harder to move them off what commercial food they are on....

melbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

oh my gosh, i'm so sorry to hear about this. what will nutro do with your records you gave them?
I don't know for sure. They want to use them to determine the issue with the food and to be sure our cats are in fact suffering from ARF.

melbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The news is good.
This is such a relief.

Please...
Better safe than sorry.
GREAT NEWS!!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a bad thing that cat food companies rely on central manufacturing plants. It's automated production, and the alternative (to have every company own its own factory) would be impractical. It's like I don't expect a bakery to grow and mill its own grain, or a steakhouse to raise its own cows.

I'm holding off on blaming Nutro, Menu Foods and the other companies until more is known. If the cause is revealed to be negligent procedures and knowing corner-cutting, then I'll certainly blame them. But companies (like people) sometimes unknowingly make mistakes that have tragic consequences. It also seems like they're now trying hard to do the right thing, with recalls and testing.

I understand others feeling differently.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

solution is a seperate thread which I will begin later tonight.
Exellent idea Pat.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Yes, I am trying to avoid the wheat gluten just until we know more. Looks like 4 of the 10 varieties if Meow Mix pouches have wheat gluten.
Cluck a Doodle Doo - Deep Sea Delight - Maine Attraction - On a Wing and a Prawn. Just in case anyone else was wondering, too.

Looks like most of their pouches have tuna as first ingredient. Think I need to change his diet up a bit.
Thanks for this- I feed my boys Meow Mix wet- I'll have to watch for the wheat gluten as well.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How horrible. Both my cats have been eating nutro pouches but they seem fine.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I got lucky this time... I've been feeding mostly canned friskies for awhile, w/occ meow mix wet. Scary because I sometimes feed the pouches but luckily my guys don't really like them- also I was feeding sophisticat cat and special kitty once in awhile.

cristoforo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anybody have any official numbers of how many cats have been affected? I know it may be a while before we find out the the extent of everything.

My sister was feeding her cat Wegmans food pouches as well and yesterday it threw up and has barely been eating. She is going to take it to the vet tomorrow and have it tested if he still seems sick.

It really breaks my heart to see this happening. I feel like the food manufacters know much more than they are letting us know. I am hoping to hear from the FDA tomorrow, and I have all my paperwork from the vets in case they want to see it.