Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm disappointed how Menu Food is handling this recall. I heard they have received complaints back on Feb. 20th. It took them a month to finally recall food? They are asking for some major law suits. As for Proctor & Gamble products such as Iams, they contracted with Meno Food all their wet food until 2013. That means, all wet food will be manufactuered by Menu Food. What great comfort huh?

gooned

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had an interesting visit to the Vet with my cat. His response was that these recalls are 'great for business'. He did not mean this in a negative way though. Apparently he had a lot of clients concerned about the recall. He had been on the phone for hours trying to track down the real scoop. The State University and the Vet AMA (whatever that is called) told him the following...

The true cause of the problems is not really known at this point. It is suspected that probably some gluten was spoiled by mold (mentioned in an earlier post) and made it's way into the food. It is not known how many pets were affected. 10 deaths is one thing but if it were 10,000, that's another story. The opinion was that the 'poison' would work it's way through the system in a couple of days once the source of toxin was eliminated. As a precaution, a blood test should be run to determine if the kidneys are affected. If acute renal failure is found, symtomatic treatment is given.

His opinion was that the media was running wild with this story since the core facts are not yet known (to us). I felt he was suggesting that many people were over-reacting. Perhaps he is right but I certainly noticed a dramatic downturn in my cat's behavior that was confirmed by the recall frenzy.

Anyhow, my cat's physical was OK. He drew blood to determine the renal aspect. He said just closely monitor her for any changes until the blood work comes back. I hope he is right about it working through her system. She does appear to be getting better in that she is showing more interest in food and has a little more energy. I have switched soft foods to one with no wheat gluten until this mess passes.

Please, I am not asking for opinions about my Vet's analysis. I'm giving those of you some information you may want to consider. I'll be getting the results of the blood work on Wednesday. I'll post then.

Good luck to all.

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got word from someone saying that it is a form of "Sugar substitute" that is causing this. It is highly toxic to pets. Just got this from a friend, who has an inside source to the company's will report more when i get more info.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesali

If this isn't enough to make you scream, I don't know what is...animals died during testing of product according to 1010 WINS:
http://www.1010wins.com/pages/309721...ntentId=378484

Menu Foods told the FDA it received the first complaints of kidney failure and deaths among cats and dogs from pet owners on Feb. 20. It began new tests on Feb. 27.

During those tests, the company fed its product to 40 to 50 dogs and cats and some seven animals -- the mix of species was not immediately known -- died, Sundlof said. The contamination appeared more deadly to cats than to dogs, he said.
Scary. Testing showed 1 in 6 animals died after eating the food. How many animals can be affected by this? Thankfully my cats seems o'key even though their Nutro food is on the recall list. How horrible. Both my poor cats could have been hurt by this.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sugar substitute? Wonder if it's Aspartame. I don't know how that would affect animals but it is very dangerous to humans. One of the things it seriously affects is thyroid function. Aspartame is so potentially dangerous that many eminent doctors and scientists from this country and around the world would like to see it banned in food and drink. Unfortunately, it is used in multi-billion £ & $ industries and is a cheap alternative to sugar so once again profit is the keyword

I found a link to the harmful side-effects and when printed out (and it's in very small print) it covered nearly 2 pages of A4 paper. I avoid the stuff like the plague and seldom drink cola because it's full of the stuff (even the "fat" cola - and the "skinny" cola is even worse).

If anyone wants the link let me know and I'll try to find it again.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This story just keeps getting scarier. I'm so concerned about my girls. They aren't dealing well with the change in their food. They don't like any of the new foods. I feel so bad and I get scared they aren't eating cause they're sick. I know I'm being paranoid but I'm been watching them like a hawk. I think they are reacting to my fear. I guess I need to get them tested just for my own peace of mind.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gooned

I had an interesting visit to the Vet with my cat. His response was that these recalls are 'great for business'. He did not mean this in a negative way though. Apparently he had a lot of clients concerned about the recall. He had been on the phone for hours trying to track down the real scoop. The State University and the Vet AMA (whatever that is called) told him the following...

The true cause of the problems is not really known at this point. It is suspected that probably some gluten was spoiled by mold (mentioned in an earlier post) and made it's way into the food. It is not known how many pets were affected. 10 deaths is one thing but if it were 10,000, that's another story. The opinion was that the 'poison' would work it's way through the system in a couple of days once the source of toxin was eliminated. As a precaution, a blood test should be run to determine if the kidneys are affected. If acute renal failure is found, symtomatic treatment is given.

His opinion was that the media was running wild with this story since the core facts are not yet known (to us). I felt he was suggesting that many people were over-reacting. Perhaps he is right but I certainly noticed a dramatic downturn in my cat's behavior that was confirmed by the recall frenzy.

Please, I am not asking for opinions about my Vet's analysis. I'm giving those of you some information you may want to consider. I'll be getting the results of the blood work on Wednesday. I'll post then.

Good luck to all.
That's VERY INTERESTING.. My vet basically had the same attitude- he said only 10 cats have died from this and that there is a very small chance that my cats would be affected. I am printing some articles I've read about this and will bring to him when I see him to show him that this IS SERIOUS...
I got the impression that he felt media was going crazy over this too. I understand where he is coming from BUT at the same time I did not like his attitude about waiting and see. I am having 3 cats tested tmr to give me peace of mind. If any of these 3 cats (Buddy, Pepper or Tango) tests postive (MY WORST NIGHTMARE COMING TRUE!) then I'll have rest of my cats tested.

I read 2 interesting articles and will post the links to them here for u guys to read. Let me know what u think..

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...d-recall_N.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...nda-food_N.htm

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The link kittiesx2 provided is interesting reading. If true, heads are gonna roll over this. I don't use any of the recalled products, but I'll seriously think about researching who makes the food I do buy in the future. The folks at Menu Foods don't sound like the kind of people I want in any way responsible for the health of my pets.

It's just sad. I'm holding good thoughts for any of you affected.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are Persians so they already could be prone to kidney problems (PKD). And one of them is of very delicate health to begin with. I have been feeding them nutro because they only eat chunks in gravy.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a risk we take when we buy manufactured food, I'm researching now on possibly making cat food at home. At least I'll know whats in it. Anyone here make their own cat food?

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Javern

This is a risk we take when we buy manufactured food, I'm researching now on possibly making cat food at home. At least I'll know whats in it. Anyone here make their own cat food?
Unfortunately I barely know how to make food for myself

If I can't nuke it I'm lost.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a few people that make their own food at home, perhaps a new thread would get more replies as many of them probably do not pop in this one as it doesn't affect them directly.

As far as the sugar substitute/aspartame, we don't know what is causing it and until we do there is probably no point guessing or going on rumours. Aspartame is not exactly something you see on the ingredient label so its not something we can look out for, my best advice is just stay away from the affected foods until you can be guaranteed their safety or make your own so you know exactly what goes in to the food

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckatz

Unfortunately I barely know how to make food for myself

If I can't nuke it I'm lost.
There is a store local to me that makes raw ready to buy, they also have natural home cooked foods, its not cheap, but the stores do exist if that is what you are looking to do

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Eithne. We can suspect this or suspect that till we're blue in the face. We must be patient until Menu Foods releases more information. Hersay will only make people more nervous.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have already seen several reports that have guessed at a fungal mold / toxin in the wheat gluten, but again until they release the info there isn't much we can do. It is important to realise that people have fed wheat gluten for a long time without these problems and that it was a 'bad' batch of whatever that has caused the recall

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured when they cooked the foods it would kill molds, perhaps not

jazzpicker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone seriously think that only 10 cats have died from this problem? Just reading through the posts here in the forum I've seen some things written about kitties that have become sick and died. I'd bet the numbers are grossly understated.

The cats on this forum are lucky to have well informed and loving owners. Think about the cats that are owned by people that don't know or care about what's going on. Probably a very small percentage of cat owners care enough to participate in this type of information sharing as all of us are doing on the forum.

The thing that worries me is...... If exposure to the toxin or whatever is causing this epizootic (epidemic in animals-I think) can cause slow but progressive, declining renal function in previously exposed cats. The symptoms may not show up for some months and later possibly progress into chronic renal failure. This would be a good question to ask a vet.

I think sharing information via the forum, keeping up with what's going on, avoiding any of the suspected foods, and paying close careful attention to our cats is a good way to get through this crisis.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a link for those interested in making raw. I make it at home.. although two of mine are still on commercial food.. thankfully, I don't think they've had any affected product.. or such a minimal amount that I don't think they'll be affected, and it was a while ago.. but it still worries me, so I'm watching.

Anyway, I don't know about cooked diets, but here's one for raw that's a good starting point. www.catnutrition.org and another is www.rawfedcats.org

You can also try www.rawfed.com or www.catinfo.org

I believe that one of these sites had information about cooked homemade diets, and I know someone asked somewhere.. it is actually cheaper for me to feed them raw than it is to feed them any commercial except the cheapest, which I won't feed them even before this recall mess. But, anyway, raw or cooked.. the cost would be the same if you shop a bit for it, freeze it, buy it on sale, etc.

There are several threads that are more detailed somewhere on the site.. too tired to link them.. kitty just came home from the vet and spay surgery, and she's been a lunatic. Only cat I've ever had to put an e-collar on.

and I wanted you all to know I've been worrying about every pet out there.. I even sent the product recall link out to someone I didn't like because they have a pup. I hope everyone's babies are okay.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pets that pass away next year or a couple years from now may have done so sooner due to damage from this tainted food. How would we know???