[ URGENT ] Ingested plastic of treat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont think they told me why its still in stomach.
they gave 2 different type of IV and injections to ease the inflammation and nausea and also provide hydration in her. They said not to forcefully give her anything but might try having her eat something incase she throws up after and there’s a possibility the plastic can come.
That’s about it from their side at the moment, phoebe is sleeping all the time and wakes up to vomit according to last 24 hours. She is sleeping on couch or bed or something above and not hiding so i take that as good sign along with her chasing moths and flies in the afternoon outside while sunbathing.
there’s no pee/poo yet so im concerned about it too. Also when i try to forcefully put her in the litterbox, she refuses to go inside very hard which never happened before when she was sick? So is she scared to poop? Or pee?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope what they gave her helps her out, and I hope she continues to show signs of wanting to play and remain able to relax too. I also hope if she throws up anymore that the remaining plastic will be thrown up too. But, I really feel like she has thrown up enough already!

Her being resistant to being placed in the litter box sounds like she is feisty enough to be telling you not to do that to her! I wouldn't take it as a bad sign.

Last edited:

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah i don’t want her to throw up more too but since it’s still in stomach, maybe if she eats and throws up back it might bring the plastic too , not sure! Though they did give her anti inflammatory and anti nausea injections so hopefully she stays good the night.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just threw up and got a plastic and apparently string wrapped around it? With some signs of blood maybe??
can someone look and tell me.
i washed it all and it was a string yes and the part of wrapper was big too but rounded ball.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Other than the coloring of the plastic, I can't tell much. But, it sounds like she ingested something other than the plastic, unless the 'string' you found is part of the plastic that has been partially shredded/dissolved by stomach acids. That could also explain why the plastic was in a ball like shape too. Do you have any way to identify what the string could be from otherwise?

You probably ought to call the vet and tell them what you found, including that you think there was blood involved.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No the thread seems from a cotton rag we have. Ive no idea when she ate it since she can pull threads from anywhere anytime but she never vomited before the plastic thingy so I’m guessing they both got ingested on the same day.
the plastic was big but in ball shape, looks like we got around 70-80% of the overall wrapper till now.
its 11pm so i cant call the vet and it doesn’t sound i have to call ER?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, you are saying that there may be another 20-30% of the wrapper left in her stomach?

Given the vet didn't seem to give you any instructions about when they should be called, I guess there is no need to consult with an ER vet unless there is one who is familiar with your cat's case.

Just keep monitoring her, but really pay attention about any blood if she throws up more. As I said, I couldn't tell much about blood from your pics, so you will have to be the one to determine if there is enough of it to call an ER vet should she vomit again.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah because I’m keeping all the parts of wrapper and straightening them to see how much if left inside her. Seems like we got 70% of it and there’s 30% still inside ( some of it might be too short to be counted? ) .
she is now playing with us so a good sign that she is bit relieved.
and yeah I’ll keep monitoring her and the vomits and poop .
she also just used her litter and peed so another good sign.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are thinking of you and your cat. I am sure you are very tired, but when you get a chance, let us know how things are going. You are such a trooper and so is your little one.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like hair more than thread. My cats eat my hair sometimes I have long hair so they usualy throw it up or I have to chase them if it gets stuck in a turd.

Anyways hair or thread could be causing a big part of the issue since it tends to wrap around anything passing into or leaving the stomach.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
RudrakshS RudrakshS how is she doing? :hugs:
It’s 7 in the morning, she slept all since last vomit , played too and is hungry so biting me for food. She hasn’t thrown up in last 9 hours.
I’m wondering if i should give her little food or not.
also it was thread indeed because i washed it and had a good look on it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s 7 in the morning, she slept all since last vomit , played too and is hungry so biting me for food. She hasn’t thrown up in last 9 hours.
I’m wondering if i should give her little food or not.
also it was thread indeed because i washed it and had a good look on it.
I would call the vet about the food situation, but, even if they give it a green light I would give her a VERY small amount a little more often vs. a large meal. If her stomach was that upset, a large meal might make her nauseous or start the throwing up again.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet about the food situation, but, even if they give it a green light I would give her a VERY small amount a little more often vs. a large meal. If her stomach was that upset, a large meal might make her nauseous or start the throwing up again.
The vet doesn’t open for next 2 hours and I’m scheduled to take her to vet when it opens anyways but Phoebe has habit to biting when hungry so well she is doing that right now 😹 she is very fierce lil girl .

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet doesn’t open for next 2 hours and I’m scheduled to take her to vet when it opens anyways but Phoebe has habit to biting when hungry so well she is doing that right now 😹 she is very fierce lil girl .
And a very pretty one at that! Personally, I'd hold off on feeding her until she gets to the vet, just to be safe.
I have a tortie who likes to grab my fingers, too. She's 50% sweet, 50% fierce!

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so i was feeding little little throughout the day, all good, she didn’t throw up or anything, just didn’t poop but she just threw up all the food she ate in the day and more plastic came with it. Now ig its around 85% out or maybe more. She still hasn’t pooped and ig the throwing up was reasonable given she threw up plastic with it. Ill call the vet in the morning ( 5 hours from now). I’ll hold off more food till then.
but i still don’t know when she will poop.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There may not be enough in her system for her to need to poop. Is she drinking water at all? How is she doing otherwise - acting OK, playing, etc.?

You saw the vet earlier didn't you - what went on during that visit?

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There may not be enough in her system for her to need to poop. Is she drinking water at all? How is she doing otherwise - acting OK, playing, etc.?

You saw the vet earlier didn't you - what went on during that visit?
She drinks water less but its normally less too since i feed her wet food. She is normal otherwise, playing, meowing, biting me under the blanket for food and all . The vet last time said that “looks like the plastic that was causing vomit has been out ( the last to last one) so continue feeding her small portions” and thats it.
She isnt throwing up just after eating but she most likely did because the plastic was still causing some issues but I’m glad she puked 4 pieces this time. We are very close to all coming out.
How do i get her to poop though? Its been more than , well almost 2 days