[ URGENT ] Ingested plastic of treat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seeing if she can keep down water given to her via an oral syringe.
I did not since no one was picking up the call. Do i give her water from syringe now? I’m gonna take her to vet in an hour since it’s morning and they opening in an hour.
If I’ll get her ultrasound and tests done, i should get her to drink only water right?
also she slept 3 hours and woke up now to throw up again

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be extremly careful sryniging anything into her mouth especialy with her vomiting. It is very easy to make her aspirate (choke) on the liquid if her esophogis is already iritated from the vomit.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m at vet right now, they gave her IV fluids along with injection to stop vomiting. They did a normal xray ( waiting for report ) and said get ultrasound done after first poop today.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. PLEASE don’t give your cat anything by mouth. Nothing will help.
There is nothing that can be given at home to a cat to induce vomiting.

I am shocked to hear you were advised to give salt water. I know worry about electrolyte imbalance and severe dehydration.

There is an injection that a veterinarian can give to a cat to induce vomiting, but that is the only way.

That doesn’t matter because she has been vomiting.

Also the window of opportunity to induce vomiting is long gone. This is most likely moved beyond the stomach, or not.

You need to take your cat to a vet now. Is there an emergency hospital near you?

What country are you in?

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. PLEASE don’t give your cat anything by mouth. Nothing will help.
There is nothing that can be given at home to a cat to induce vomiting.

I am shocked to hear you were advised to give salt water. I know worry about electrolyte imbalance and severe dehydration.

There is an injection that a veterinarian can give to a cat to induce vomiting, but that is the only way.

That doesn’t matter because she has been vomiting.

Also the window of opportunity to induce vomiting is long gone. This is most likely moved beyond the stomach, or not.

You need to take your cat to a vet now. Is there an emergency hospital near you?

What country are you in?
Hey! I just got off from vet. They gave her IV and did xray. Told me to keep watching her stool and pray she doesn’t vomits now.
Almost 3 different vets advised me to give salt water to induce vomit :( so i did it last night. She has been throwing up in every 2-4 hours but no plastic and only bile juice.
I asked vet to do ultrasound but they said its not necessary rn and we can do it once if she doesn’t poops indicating a blockage.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Btw before coming to vet she did drink water by herself and didn’t threw up. Its been 3 hours since last vomit and 1.5 hours since she drank water.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok. As for the salt water, don’t want to disagree with the vets, but I would never do that. It really isn’t good

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She threw up just now, 5 hours after last one and she was administered anti nausea injection too 2.5 hours back. I’m so concerned

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be too. I am sorry. Try calling the hospital you took her to and let them know.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Currently we are sitting in the sun, she is sunbathing and all chill. Isnt showing sign of distress or discomfort or sickness sort of. But I’m praying to god she poops and doesn’t vomit anymore. Anyone else can recommend anything else to be done?

Attachments

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay she threw up again now! Is it normal? Could it be other reasons than obstruction in stomach/intestines?
she when outside is reacting to surrounding,trying to catch flies and all but is less active than normal days obviously. I’ll call the vet again and tell them she threw up.
Update : vet gave me ranitidine and anti vomiting syrup to give her in the morning. I just called the vet and he said to give her those and wait and see. I’ll go to vet after 2-2.5 hours for ultrasound.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure her entire digestive tract is a mess right about now, so it is possible she could be throwing up from that. But, I would think the vet(s) by now would want to do an ultrasound to see if there is any kind of obstruction. I hope you were able to get that done.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just came back from clinic , got ultrasound done!
- There’s foreign body present in stomach of 12x22mm approx ( could be multiple combined? )
- There’s nothing found in intestines so the plastic didn’t move down ( yet )
- Administered more IV and fluids in hope she poops since she didn’t poop from last 24 hours
she also didn’t pee since morning
- Doctor said to bring in the morning again and we will see how to take it forward. They may take those Barium Xrays to see more position of the plastic.
- he said its not that big or sharp or anything to cause obstruction but its inflaming as of now causing vomits.
Now you guys suggest me what you think about it. How more should i proceed? Anything else possible? Also im scared she will have complications in future from the surgery if she gets? Like someone said the cat will never be same healthy as before

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since the vets do see something in her stomach, I guess they are still wanting to wait longer to see if she passes it through to her intestines? If it is not posing any kind of obstruction, did they explain why it has not left her stomach? Are they advising her to be given any food/water in the meantime? What are they doing to counteract the inflammation? I don't know what to suggest, other than to follow the vets' instructions, ask them the questions you are asking here, and make sure they explain everything to you so you understand.

I don't think you should automatically assume that she will have future issues if she does have surgery. Cats go through surgery all the time and are just fine afterward. There is no reason to believe that she will be less healthy going forward. I don't know who said that, but it was an unfair statement for them to make.