TS/Hurricane Rita

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

This may be a totally dumb question, but are the backroads as crowded as the highways?

If 59 is clear in the city - take it out to the Rosenberg exit (hwy 36). Go north to Alternate 90 and head west from there. Or catch Alt 90 out of Sugarland, but there is usually a lot of traffic on 90 between that exit and Rosenberg. I used to live between Rosenberg and Fulshear, and used Alt 90 all the time. Lots of small towns, but if there isn't traffic, it could take you a great distance west.

I'm worried about you!!
We tried to leave last night through Fulshear, I know this is already a huge thread...but I posted that earlier. Please keep thinking about us! We are staying home to be safe from traffic and all the lunatics that are apparently out there.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

I am definitely praying for all of you!! And in your emergency kit, I hope that you have baby-wipes & a camp stove or propane-burner, so that you can cook without electricity. Shovel, rake, & pitchfork can be handy, too! Hopefully, just for gardening next spring!
I will be so glad when it's next Thursday, and this will all have happened already. Candie, please find a TCS member to keep in touch (when you can) with so we can find out how you're doing. Hugs, Susan
Thanks, we've got the propane bbq grill and a camping stove to heat things up. Plenty of cat food and dog food as well.We'll be in the hallway tomorrow night with all of our supplies. I have made it a point to get in touch with Cindy (KittenKrazy) as soon as I can. Thank you all for your prayers!! Don't just pray for us, pray for all the people on the roads!!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

To answer the question, yes, every road is jammed. I spoke with my sister in Houston several times today, and like Candie, her family has decided to stay. The thought of becoming stranded on the road with no gas and not anywhere near far enough away was enough to convince them to stay put. Friends who have family members who left have only made it 30-50 miles from home in what amounts to an entire day's travel. According to the news, I-10 will not be reversed, as 'there are too many exits to monitor'.

Candie, stay safe.
Thanks Deb! Will do!!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Candie, my thoughts are as much for anyone in Texas as they are for my cousin. She lives in Houston and sends me email forwards on a regular basis being so far away.

Take care!
Ryan

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like Rita is moving more and more over to the east side of Houston, which is great for the city. But we can still have winds from 75-100 mph winds tomorrow night. My internet is already starting to act weird...don't know why yet. When we get up in the morning, it could be starting to get bad. I'll keep checking in as much as possible. I've been doing loads of laundry today to keep me busy as well to make sure we have plenty to keep us clothed if we don't have electricity for awhile. I'm bout to start the dishwasher and head to bed. I'm exhausted!!

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

It looks like Rita is moving more and more over to the east side of Houston, which is great for the city. But we can still have winds from 75-100 mph winds tomorrow night. My internet is already starting to act weird...don't know why yet. When we get up in the morning, it could be starting to get bad. I'll keep checking in as much as possible. I've been doing loads of laundry today to keep me busy as well to make sure we have plenty to keep us clothed if we don't have electricity for awhile. I'm bout to start the dishwasher and head to bed. I'm exhausted!!
Could it be possible there are so many people from your area logged into the internet (The Weather Channel website perhaps?
) that its slowing the thing? That has happened to me a lot, when there's a big commotion like election day, or a hurricane.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Candie, you will be in my prayers tonight, and my thoughts tomorrow

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It looks like the storm will most likely head east of you Candie, which is good news. The flooding and winds shouldn't be as bad. Please stay safe everyone in the path of this hurricane. You are all in my thoughts.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Candie, it seems like you have made all the preparations you can at this time. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. It is good the storm has changed directions a little bit. Stay safe and let us know when you can how you are.

I saw the news this am of a bus fire. That is terrible. They are saying that people are beginning to go south. I just hope everyone can leave who wants to.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It looks like the storm will most likely head east of you Candie, which is good news. The flooding and winds shouldn't be as bad. Please stay safe everyone in the path of this hurricane. You are all in my thoughts.
It's not for certain yet, actually. I just got up and turned on the tv...the "cone of uncertainity" is still from Freeport, Texas to Louisiana state border line. They are showing us 5-6 different paths it can take in the next 22 hours before hitting landfall. The weather outside is sooooo diffrerent! It's chilly outside! (80 degrees...this is nice for us!!) The clouds are so odd looking. No matter what, we are to get really strong winds. One of the rescue buses exploded early this morning. 20 people died. The bus was from Bellaire, just west of downtown. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...story2/3366416

Here is the link to the Houston Chronicle, if you want to see more about what is going on. Some pages have amazing pictures of people helping others. http://www.chron.com/

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bugaboo1

Candie, it seems like you have made all the preparations you can at this time. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. It is good the storm has changed directions a little bit. Stay safe and let us know when you can how you are.

I saw the news this am of a bus fire. That is terrible. They are saying that people are beginning to go south. I just hope everyone can leave who wants to.
Yes, it's very upsetting. The more you watch tv, it gets more upsetting, especially to see all those people stranded on the roadside. You can't help them. I hope they can get them gas soon. It's not the best thing to have to deal with...the more I watch the news, I get more and more upset. Channel 2 news here...just said they've been on the air since 4am Wednesday. There is so much to talk about, but I can't get my thoughts straight.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll also be thinking of you and BF & your pets tomorrow too.
Hopefully you will only have wind and rain.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I'll also be thinking of you and BF & your pets tomorrow too.
Hopefully you will only have wind and rain.
Zack's my husband
Thanks!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Candie,
Just remember people you don't even know are praying for you and all who are in the path of this hurricane. God is a big God and he is able to deliver you, Zack and your precious animals out of any danger. That is what I am believing and I know other Christians are praying the same for you. I have asked Him to station his angels around your house.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh first I think you are pregnant then not married but have a boyfriend.

Pretty soon I'm going to have to make up another rumor. hmmmmmmm let me think about a good one. ( you aren't an extraterrestial or anything like that are you??
)

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My prayers and best wishes go out to all the one who had and did evacuate, but mostly for the ones who could not. You and your babies will be terrified, but with good planning, lots of blankets, carriers even if you have to double up, flashlights, water, food and solid shelter, you can make it through. I wish with all my hear there was something, anything that I could do.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am impressed by Galveston's evacuation. I watched last night, and people were evacuting on the buses with their pets! They kept the families together, and they even transported all the homeless to shelters- KUDOS to them- and please everyone in the path of this storm- be safe.