TS/Hurricane Rita

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I am so glad you are well, Candie. Although I still feel bad about the rumors...did you ever tell dh that we had you pregnant and with a boyfriend?!?

Glad you and the pets made it through, now for all the people of Texas to come home, and everyone to clean up the messes!

I can't even tell you what a relief it is to get on-line and learn that you are okay! Now everyone else needs to check in, too.
Yeah, he just laughed...

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

So glad that this one wasn't a repeat of Katrina

I'm so glad you're OK, Candie!

My brother is fine too - the high winds (perhaps a tornado?) severely damaged the building next to his - its roof came off & a wall caved in, but his building is undamaged. The damaged building was a storage warehouse, so no-one was hurt.

I thought Ari lived here in SA? Has she moved to Houston? I hope she & her family are OK too!

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heard from my sister that stayed in her home in Lake Charles and her house is ok. It has alot of damage around it and my sister Aimee that lives next door... her house is completly destroyed!!!!
My mom and dads home is 15 minutes from Lake Charles in Bell City, La. and my brother tried getting there yesturday to check on their house but no one is allowed in their right now. So my mom and dad are staying here with me until they find out.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan

Heard from my sister that stayed in her home in Lake Charles and her house is ok. It has alot of damage around it and my sister Aimee that lives next door... her house is completly destroyed!!!!
My mom and dads home is 15 minutes from Lake Charles in Bell City, La. and my brother tried getting there yesturday to check on their house but no one is allowed in their right now. So my mom and dad are staying here with me until they find out.
Sorry to hear about your sister's house but glad you're family is okay and together.

Heard last night that the weathermen say Rita could be pushed back south over the Gulf!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

I'm so glad you're OK, Candie!

My brother is fine too - the high winds (perhaps a tornado?) severely damaged the building next to his - its roof came off & a wall caved in, but his building is undamaged. The damaged building was a storage warehouse, so no-one was hurt.

I thought Ari lived here in SA? Has she moved to Houston? I hope she & her family are OK too!
I think Ari still live in San Antonio.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan

I am soo sorry to hear about your sister's home. I am glad your family is safe though!
Keep them calm!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pardon my not reading all the posts, but I was wondering if anyone has heard from anyone in the Estherwood/Jennings/Crowley Louisiana area? I have a friend in that area and I haven't heard from her. I'm guessing power is down and what not but I'm wondering and a little concerned. Thanks!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Pardon my not reading all the posts, but I was wondering if anyone has heard from anyone in the Estherwood/Jennings/Crowley Louisiana area? I have a friend in that area and I haven't heard from her. I'm guessing power is down and what not but I'm wondering and a little concerned. Thanks!
HI there! I hope you hear from her soon...I am sure they just don't have power or something. Have you tried to email her? Maybe she'll get to some source where she can email you if you email her first and let her know you are concerned. I hope all goes well!

navdoc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My old shelter in California just received 6 dogs from Katrina. Long travel but the shelter has a very good adoption rate.

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was watching animal planet last nite on some more of the rescues from katrina just makes me break down and cry and sometimes i think they show to much and it really does hurt to watch that but you can't help it i wish i could do more for the animals But i did see alot of good out comes from this pets reunited with there familys and how much people care and go out and rescues the animals so that does make me fill better

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to stop watching everything that was going on in the news...it's just too much sometimes.

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just checking back in to announce that Samwise, Galadriel, Miss Kitty, Ann and Jim are back at the beach and all in good health. Our home on the beach is about 40 miles west of where Rita made its landfall -- on the "good" side, thank goodness, if there really is a good side that close to the eye. Winds well in excess of 100 mph -- perhaps 150. All the local wind gauges disappeared, so it is just a guess based on damage sustained here.

We left three days early, headed north, through Houston and on to bunk with son and family in College Station. Missed the Houston gridlock by leaving as early as we did. Unable to check in with our cat buddies earlier as utilities were out for nearly three weeks. No internet service with our wireless provider as towers all wiped out. Just got a new provider, so we checked in this morning.

As now on VERY slow dialup, all that is now available, we have been unable to read all the posts on Rita, but we are so happy to see that Samwise's friend Candie is well.

Now the good news. Our home survived with very little damage, thanks to its being new and built under new codes. All damage due only to wind, as there was no storm surge due to the direction of the wind. Many of our neighbors did not fare so well. No injuries however, as literally everyone evacuated our little beach town.

Jim came back early to check on the house and care for things; Ann and the furbabes came back after utilities came back on, i.e. air conditioning.

Jim says that he has learned something new, even at his age -- humility. When he came back there was no electricity for almost two weeks - no water for several days. No grocery stores or restaurants open. FEMA is still in "an undisclosed location."

When one stands in line in 100+ deg. heat to get a sandwich and a bag of ice from the Red Cross one learns humility. It is good for you. It also makes you appreciate the horrors experienced by those poor people in New Orleans, so many of whom had nothing to start with, no assets, no car, no family to take them in. Experiencing a bit of such things yourself changes you.

All the best to our good friends, from

Samwise, Galadriel (now "Molly), Miss Kitty, Ann and Jim, on the beach.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SO GLAD YOU ARE OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things are finally getting back to normal...and yes, humility is something you learn through all this. It is still happening everyday around here