TS/Hurricane Rita

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay safe everyone, if it gets unsafe just leave if you can. Make sure all your animals are safe.

Our thoughts are with you in these difficult times

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Y'all - Candie is freaked out enough without people who don't know where she lives nor what her home is built like saying the whole thing could be leveled. Looking at the map she posted a link to earlier, she's a good way from the inlet, so the storm surge most likely won't touch her. She's already said she's in a high part of the city, and the house has weathered other hurricanes. A ray of hope isn't uncalled for here!

I heard on the news that the hurricane may continue to weaken before it hits land, so it may be down to a Cat 3 by the time it makes landfall. It is also shifting a bit to the East, which is good for Candie!, so it may actually make landfall in the least populated area of the Texas Gulf Coast. While it would still affect other areas, the hardest hit area may be where the least people and buildings are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Heidi...It doesn't matter at this point if I want to leave or not. I think most people don't understand how insane!! it is out there. I want to stay in my home with Zack, Watson and Mittens and not risk running out of gas in 100 degree weather. If we go to my mom's, it is actually not as high as it is here. I am not at all worried about flooding. At this point, I am more worried about my sister-in-law's bf, Matt. He lives in Deer Park and it is mandatory evacuation there. They made it from Deer Park to 290 and Beltway, which is just across town in 10 hours!! This is usually just a 45 minute drive. I hope that this keeps going to the East. Atleast, yes, it will hit a less populated area. I am not sure how much news coverage they are showing throughout other cities, but this is nonstop. Every single station, traffic, traffic, traffic...

Also, we don't have a bathub, so we are planning to fill up buckets and storage containers full of water. What is happening now...people are trying to head north. They need to start heading towards Mexico, towards Brownsville NOW. There is absolutely no traffic on 59 South towards Corpus Christi.

We are about to walk to McDonald's around the corner where I-45 is to really see in person what is like. Nothing else to do at this point. Ugh!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they have free food!!! (not my personal choice though) Do you have any beer or wine???

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Maybe they have free food!!! (not my personal choice though) Do you have any beer or wine???
We have a couple of bottles of wine and a bottle of champagne to use for my sister-in-law's celebration for her new job with the Astros...looks like we'll have a drink on Rita if we all make it out ok! Please pray this storm goes more eastwardly!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

and if it becomes necessary, use your mattress as a buffer.
Experts now advise against using matresses as buffers because they can suffocate you if something heavy falls on top of the mattress. It is much better to hide under a heavy table or desk that will leave air holes if something falls on top.

I agree that keeping the cats inside their carriers will be very wise. And, if you have a small bathroom with no windows or a closet, it would be best to keep the cats (while inside their carriers) in this enclosed space. Make sure the cats have collars with identification on them just in case they get loose.

Of course, if you've lived in Houston for very long, you know what it is like to go through a hurricane, so we're probably giving a lot of advice you don't really need.

Good luck and we will all be rooting for you that you , your cats, and your house come through with no damage at all!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rita is diminishing? I told ya all we had to do was think good thoughts...

to you and yours!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Rita is diminishing? I told ya all we had to do was think good thoughts...

to you and yours!
Where did you hear this?

As of right now, she is a CAT 4, 911mb

antares

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just at the moment radio told (in Germany), "Rita" is ranked down in danger. Ähm, sorry, terrible english now, but I hope, it is understandable.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I understand your English. I've got a close friend in Berlin.
I've got to get in touch with him!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They (being the weather people) fear that the Hurricane will just go in one big circle and head right back for us on Sunday because of the high pressures. Here we go...another Allison (tropical storm 2001) where we had severe flooding, about 20 people lost their lives too.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Candie, I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't leave.
You and your family will be in my thoughts. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Thanks Heidi...It doesn't matter at this point if I want to leave or not. I think most people don't understand how insane!! it is out there. I want to stay in my home with Zack, Watson and Mittens and not risk running out of gas in 100 degree weather. If we go to my mom's, it is actually not as high as it is here. I am not at all worried about flooding. At this point, I am more worried about my sister-in-law's bf, Matt. He lives in Deer Park and it is mandatory evacuation there. They made it from Deer Park to 290 and Beltway, which is just across town in 10 hours!! This is usually just a 45 minute drive. I hope that this keeps going to the East. Atleast, yes, it will hit a less populated area. I am not sure how much news coverage they are showing throughout other cities, but this is nonstop. Every single station, traffic, traffic, traffic...

Also, we don't have a bathub, so we are planning to fill up buckets and storage containers full of water. What is happening now...people are trying to head north. They need to start heading towards Mexico, towards Brownsville NOW. There is absolutely no traffic on 59 South towards Corpus Christi.

We are about to walk to McDonald's around the corner where I-45 is to really see in person what is like. Nothing else to do at this point. Ugh!
Gosh... and nobody has figured out that from Corpus Christi to the Mexican border its deserted? When I heard it I expected it to fill up soon, but it seems it hasn't happened.

I think I understand how insane it is... I still remember Hurricane Georges in 1998.

Just be safe... look after the kits, and give them a hug on my part. You've done everything that can be done. Now, lets just hope for the best.

Oh, and if anyone is in an evacuation area, and needs to get outta there, get through where Candie said. Go as far south as Mexico if you have to.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We have a couple of bottles of wine and a bottle of champagne to use for my sister-in-law's celebration for her new job with the Astros...looks like we'll have a drink on Rita if we all make it out ok! Please pray this storm goes more eastwardly!
So you'll have the necessary supplies for a Hurricane Party!

Hopefully Rita will continue losing strength before she hits land, too.

We'll keep sending those prayers!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If all goes as planned...of course...they are all uncertain exactly what will happen tomorrow night...by the time it gets here, it'll be a 1 or a 2!! I am doing loads and loads of laundry right now just in case water or electricity is out for awhile!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

They need to start heading towards Mexico, towards Brownsville NOW. There is absolutely no traffic on 59 South towards Corpus Christi.
This may be a totally dumb question, but are the backroads as crowded as the highways?

If 59 is clear in the city - take it out to the Rosenberg exit (hwy 36). Go north to Alternate 90 and head west from there. Or catch Alt 90 out of Sugarland, but there is usually a lot of traffic on 90 between that exit and Rosenberg. I used to live between Rosenberg and Fulshear, and used Alt 90 all the time. Lots of small towns, but if there isn't traffic, it could take you a great distance west.

I'm worried about you!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am definitely praying for all of you!! And in your emergency kit, I hope that you have baby-wipes & a camp stove or propane-burner, so that you can cook without electricity. Shovel, rake, & pitchfork can be handy, too! Hopefully, just for gardening next spring!
I will be so glad when it's next Thursday, and this will all have happened already. Candie, please find a TCS member to keep in touch (when you can) with so we can find out how you're doing. Hugs, Susan

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer the question, yes, every road is jammed. I spoke with my sister in Houston several times today, and like Candie, her family has decided to stay. The thought of becoming stranded on the road with no gas and not anywhere near far enough away was enough to convince them to stay put. Friends who have family members who left have only made it 30-50 miles from home in what amounts to an entire day's travel. According to the news, I-10 will not be reversed, as 'there are too many exits to monitor'.

Candie, stay safe.