Trying to bring in an outdoor cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got blighty he was a be month old street cat. He started in my bedroom with the little cage, his food, water and a little box with cat litter in. On the other side of the room by my bed was a cat bed. He didn't eat or drink the first night but did the next day and used the box no problem.
One time when whisky came in while I was there. He went to blighty's food and this tiny scrap growled at whisky and put his paws over his foods.
Love this story Judy. Can I assume that they are now good pals? I am hoping my little Shih Tzu Happy and Pi will become close. They would be nice company for each other if my wish comes true.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pi is settling right in to my household. He still wants to go out in the morning and stay out all day but he now wants to spend the nights inside from about 7 PM to 7 AM. He starts coming in around 4 PM but goes out and comes in until 7 eating when he comes inside. Can't believe it but on this sunny and very cold (15 degrees) day he asked very loudly to go out so that's where he is now. Yesterday he did the same but stayed in the nearby area coming into the vestibule to sit on his warming disks at regular intervals. I also think he has been warming up in his outside feeding station now filled with straw for the winter.

Here he is last night getting a requested tummy rub before bedtime.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great news! Frontline Plus seems to be working for Pi. The tick that was attached to his neck for quite some time is dead and can be easily brushed off. I couldn't tweeze it because he wouldn't let the tweezers near him. I just hope the tick had no disease because as I said it had been on him for at least a week. Who knows how long before I became aware of it. Otherwise nothing new to report. He is still coming in at night and in the morning seems less anxious to go out. But once he does he's out for the day.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi stew ball I love that picture of both your cats. I can only hope that will happen to me with Gwen and Bell. Bell came in for dinner last night and Gwen was sleeping . Bell went slowly to see her and I panicked and squirt a tiny bit of water on Bell. I had Bell in the house all day today and Gwen was growling and hissing everytime Bell came by. Hopefully they will be friends but I know I have to be patient.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Judy. I love the story about how you named your PiPi. So cute. I think that you will have no problem making him an indoor cat. I have to have Bell outside at night. But I must say he is happy. I am hoping that bell and Gwen will get along soon. I think it is more me than the cats. I am so nervous that they will have a big fight. Bell also gets so scared when we put the fireplace on. My dog Nemo Loves the two cats.I am very lucky about that because he is a rat Terrier and they chase small animals. But he loves Bell and Gwen. Glad that PiPi is sleeping in your house all night.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot how to up load pictures. Can you guys tell me how to do it again. I want you to see my beautiful Gwen. She has been throwing up alot and I dont know if its is the stress of Bell coming in. I also had been giving her greenys treats instead of temptations. She has been throwing up the greeny treats.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot how to up load pictures. Can you guys tell me how to do it again. I want you to see my beautiful Gwen. She has been throwing up alot and I dont know if its is the stress of Bell coming in. I also had been giving her greenys treats instead of temptations. She has been throwing up the greeny treats.
Hi Linda, to upload a photo go to the icon that looks like mountains with a moon in the sky (black dot) and click on it. A window will open and you click on "upload".

If Gwen has been throwing up the Greenies I would stop giving them to her. Or, is it possible she could have hairballs? Anyway stop the Greenies if she is throwing them up and try something else. Pi likes the Greenies and doesn't get sick from them but he also likes Kittles by Wellness. He is eating so much better since I took him off the Temptations.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi stew ball I love that picture of both your cats. I can onl
hope that will happen to me with Gwen and Bell. Bell came in for dinner last night and Gwen was sleeping . Bell went slowly to see her and I panicked and squirt a tiny bit of water on Bell. I had Bell in the house all day today and Gwen was growling and hissing everytime Bell came by. Hopefully they will be friends but I know I have to be patient.

thank you. Whisky was here only a month before blighty turned up so integration was quite easy.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The good news is--Pi takes much longer to leave the house in the morning now that he knows it is such a warm and comfy place to be. In fact last night I let him investigate the dining room and living room for a few minutes. All went well until Happy jumped down off the sofa and ran over to kiss Pi hello! Pi got frightened and took off back through the kitchen to go out to the garage. I had already locked the pet door for the night thankfully. Happy persued Pi at top speed with his tail wagging in circles like a helicopter. I told him to "stay" as he got to the back door and he did. Good boy! Took him back to the living room and put the gate back up. Pi slowly came back into the kitchen a minute or two later. It was a funny sight to see. Eventually Pi will realize that Happy is a bundle of love. At least I hope he will.

The worrisome news is--my friend arrives to stay with me for a month tomorrow. I hope Pi can adjust to having her in the house because he has been doing so well. I would hate to have a set back. On the plus side it's an opportunity for him to be with another human. I don't THINK he's had much human contact but then again the sights and sounds inside my house don't seem to bother him at all.

Fingers crossed it all goes well!

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Judy
THat is great that Pi is getting into a routine. My Bell is doing wonderful too. He was in the house until 12 midnight sleeping on my bed and than wanted to finally go out to sleep in his Igloo. I had to keep my Gwen out in the living room. My dog Nemo chases Gwen all over the house when he wants to play but gwen hates it. Nemo does not understand why she does not play. So cute.Not cute for Gwen . She hisses at him and than runs. Poor Gwen She trys to get on the bed to sleep with us and if Nemo Is on top of the covers he jumps on her. Sometimes this can happen all
night.
It took a long time for Bell to get use to other people besides me. He just got use to my husband. My husband started to feed him and that is when he came around. You should have your friend feed him. Bell has been coming in every day and today my 2 grandkids came one is 3 and one is 8 and he use to run when he saw them but today he wanted to come in. I could not believe it. It was so funny. But i did not let it happen. Its bad enough i still have to watch my gwen. Could not do both.

judy i just want to thank you for giving me the courage to try and bring bella in. Keep us all posted on how things work out. I will keep my fingers crossed too.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Stew ball and Pi Pi Great News. My Bell is staying longer and longer in the house. My cat Gwen is being so good. I think that gwen is not really happy but It seems to be working out. I can leave them both in a room now .I need to have Bell to become an indoor cat before the spring. I dont really want him to come in with ticks and fleas in the summer time. My husband is a big clumsy guy so bell is not use to him walking around and making so much noise. HaHa Also Bell does not like when we put the fireplace on. I am hoping he will get use to that. Its weird but Bell likes to sleep out on her heated bench at night. She is out like a light. She does not want to sleep in the house at night.
Hopefully that will change. How is it going with you PiPi. How is it workinhg out with your friend being there to help you. I hope you are ok.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Linda, sounds like you're making great progress with Bell. Or should I say Bell is making great progress? Congratulations! It has been rather hectic here with my friend and all but we have been doing fairly well. Unfortunately a family member of hers passed away and so she had to attend the funeral on Friday. She drove all the way up to Syracuse for that. More than likely she will return today but late. 4 1/2 hours each way oh my! Pi-Pi has been doing very well. He has been sleeping in his gated area in the kitchen ever since the first night he started. So I guess that's about two weeks now. I have also started to let him go into the dining room. The kitchen has a doorway into the dining room so I put the gate between the dining room and living room and Pi can go in the kitchen, the dining room, and his gated area. Happy likes to be in the living room. They are tolerating each other but still through the gate--it will take some time. I'm very frustrated this morning. I came down at 6:30 as usual to feed Pi and I did open the pet door so he could go out if you wanted to. However we had about 4 to 5 inches of snow here last night. He went out and came back in and I really thought he was going to stay in the house today because he stayed for a very long time. I had to go upstairs to get changed into my day clothes and so I let him stay in the kitchen and dining room area. I left the back door slightly ajar so that he did have the option to go outside again if he wanted to. I thought he wouldn't because he came back in before. Silly me! Happy and I came downstairs about 15 minutes later and he was gone. That was about 8:30 and I haven't seen hide nor hair of him and now it's 11:15. I went outside to see if I could find his tracks in the snow. I saw them go out the pet door and over to an evergreen bush and then up to his favorite evergreen bush and from that point I found no more tracks at all! I can't for the life of me figure out where that cat is! I do hope he is okay and not in trouble somewhere because that snow came almost up to the top of his leg! He had to raise his legs really high when he walked in it I noticed this morning. All I can do is leave his food in the garage and a warm bed in the vestibule and hope and pray he will return safely to me at some point today. I might just leave the kitchen door a little bit ajar as well while I'm working here. Wish me luck. Keep your fingers crossed that Pi returns! And most importantly in good shape! I keep kicking myself for leaving that door open to him when I went upstairs. Had I closed it for just that 15 minute period of time I probably wouldn't be in this dilemma! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope so to judy[emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji] bell has been in all day today so far.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stewball should I keep separate litter boxes.?
Its wise to do so, so they can choose if they wish.     :)

Although it is probable they will use one together.    But they can also chose to pee in one, and poo in the others.  Especielly ex homeless sometimes do so.   So, there are several good reasons to have two different litter boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.