Trying to bring in an outdoor cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My condo is big and I have 2 bathrooms . I just don't have an upstairs . How do you get a picture by your name.
Hi Linda.  Here's how to get a picture (aka avatar) by your name:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/community-profile-tutorial#user_changeavatar

Change Your Avatar

Your avatar is the picture associated with your user account.  Your avatar (or picture) will follow you around the community next to your forum posts to help other users identify you.  Feel free to upload your own image according to the terms of service.
  1. Navigate to your profile by clicking on the "My Profile" link.
  2. Underneath your existing avatar, there is a "Replace Image" button.
  3. Click the "Replace Image" button to pull up the Image tool. A popup will appear.
  4. You can choose to upload an image from your desktop or import an image from an external URL.
  5. When you are done, click "OK."  Your profile will reload to display your new avatar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Linda do you really need a gate? Why not just clso
Oops! Something happened when I tried to answer Linda's post last night and it didn't go through correctly. What I asked was, do you really need a gate? Can't you just close the bathroom door? Or is it that you want him to be able to see what's going on instead of being shut in?

Regarding changing your profile photo/avatar, rubysmama explained it perfectly for you. I would just add that you can also get to the spot where it gives you the option to replace your image if you simply click on the existing image.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am shouting Woo Hoo this morning. Pi spent another peaceful night inside last night and two great things happened. He actually let me apply the Frontline Plus without a struggle. I pretended I was just stroking him as I usually do then quietly and gently with the other hand applied the meds. The most difficult part was separating his fur to find an area of skin. His fur has become VERY thick and dense because he is outside so much. It took 2 passes because I didn't squeeze it all out the first time. My bad not his. The second good thing was that I brought Happy into the kitchen to meet Pi again. This time I carried him in then placed him on the floor about 2 1/2 feet from Pi. I gently held him so he wouldn't bound over and kiss Pi silly. As long as I did that Pi didn't make any hissing, spitting or other sound of irritation. He just stayed in his croached position and actually closed his eyes while looking at Happy which I have read is a good thing. Hopefully I will soon be able to stop holding Happy when they are with each other.

So he has now spent 3 nights inside and done well each time. It is another freezing cold day here. The Weather Channel says it is now 20 degrees but that's better than yesterday's 18 and there is very little wind. Yesterday he was gone from 7AM to 4PM then wandered around my yard and the neighbors' coming in and out of my house to eat. He was in for the night at 7PM and that's when I put the lockdown slide in the pet door. He usually meows when I do that as he wants it to stay open but I tell him, "house rules." I must add that when he returned yesterday I had a brindle color cat not a black one. He must have found a hole in the woods to burrow into to keep warm and got the dry and dusty dirt all over him from head to tip of tail!

He left again this morning at 7AM after eating a good amount of kibble and a lick of Turkey. He'll get the leftover turkey tonight. Interestingly, his appetite has greatly improved since I stopped giving him the Temptations Treats 3 days ago. Fingers crossed he gets home safely again today!

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap:that is wonderful pi pi. Your a good cat and soon you and happy will be happy together. My bell can be a twin of happy. Bell still chooses to see out side at night. His igloo has a heated Matt and 3 snuggle disks. I know he is nice and warm.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I have the visuals right, but it sounds like you can just shut off access to the garage and he still can get in and out through the vestibule.  I actually had a similar problem, but I couldn't close up access to the garage so I put giant sheets of cardboard to form a wall between my front bumper and where I had the cat bed/food/water, etc.  I was actually more terrified that my stray kitty would seek warmth on the car of the engine compartment and I'd run her over. 

I can relate to worrying about Pi's wandering behavior.  In addition to the stray female, I think I've already mentioned that I had Tom cat living in a cat house on my deck last winter.  He'd show up faithfully for meals, but then he'd go out and patrol even in the coldest weather.    I worried about him constantly and I was mystified why he'd go out so much when he had a heated cat house and two square cans a day.   Well anyway, that all ended when we got him fixed and he had to recuperate inside.  And FYI, he now insists not only on sleeping on the 400 thread count sheets under the covers, but on spooning whomever he's sleeping with.

Last edited:

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if pi pi went out in this bad weather. Long Island is just getting rain here but I no you are getting bad weather. My bell is out on her heated bench. It's not that cold out but he did come in this morning to eat.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if pi pi went out in this bad weather. Long Island is just getting rain here but I no you are getting bad weather. My bell is out on her heated bench. It's not that cold out but he did come in this morning to eat.
Hi Linda (my name is Judy by the way), yes Pi is out and about again today in this awful weather. Like you we are just getting rain. I am located just inside the coast in Harrison which is next to Rye. You've probably heard of Rye as it is on the Sound. So, rain all day sometimes heavy. But its 36 degrees which is WARM compared to what we have had recently. Unfortunately I had to go out today so Pi couldn't stay inside and he actually hesitated before going out today for the first time. Again he spent a quiet night in the gated area of my kitchen. I left his kibble and a few treats in the garage when I left here at 11:45 and when I returned at 2 on the dot I saw the treats were gone and that he had eaten a good portion of the kibble too. So he had come in at some point during that 2 hour period. I had also left his bed, a blanket and 3 SnuggleSafe warmed disks in the vestibule in case he wanted to rest and warm up. So, while I was sorry I couldn't have him come into the house at least I knew he had a place to come in out of the rain if he wanted to. But, I haven't seen him since I got home so hope I will soon. As you know I always worry at the end of the day before I see his cute little shape coming home across the lawn.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Not sure if I have the visuals right, but it sounds like you can just shut off access to the garage and he still can get in and out through the vestibule.  I actually had a similar problem, but I couldn't close up access to the garage so I put giant sheets of cardboard to form a wall between my front bumper and where I had the cat bed/food/water, etc.  I was actually more terrified that my stray kitty would seek warmth on the car of the engine compartment and I'd run her over. 

I can relate to worrying about Pi's wandering behavior.  In addition to the stray female, I think I've already mentioned that I had Tom cat living in a cat house on my deck last winter.  He'd show up faithfully for meals, but then he'd go out and patrol even in the coldest weather.    I worried about him constantly and I was mystified why he'd go out so much when he had a heated cat house and two square cans a day.   Well anyway, that all ended when we got him fixed and he had to recuperate inside.  And FYI, he now insists not only on sleeping on the 400 thread count sheets under the covers, but on spooning whomever he's sleeping with.
That's a cute story Reba. Re the garage--You enter from the outside through a screen/storm door which takes you into the small vestibule (33" x 53"), directly in front of you is another door that opens into the garage and to the right of you is my back door which goes into my kitchen. The pet door in is the storm door and allows entry only into the vestibule and to the garage if the door to the garage is open. I do tie that door open so that he can enter the garage to eat and play with his toys. He has a litter box there too. He was sleeping in the vestibule but has slept in my kitchen for the past 4 nights. He is out in the cold rain today because I had to go out but I actually think he would have stayed in a lot longer this morning otherwise. I think he's starting to get the idea that inside is pretty darned good.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Judy and Judy. Yes I know we're Rye is. I am so glad it rained and we did not have snow.my bell stayed out all day on his heated bench. I just don't get it. He could have come in today or even his igloo. Well I hope PiPi gets to be an indoor cat real soon.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my profile picture shows bell on his heated pad on the bench. He stayed there all day.
Well, I can kind of understand why he likes it there! Very nice and under a roof for protection from the rain. He may be outside but he has it pretty good out there!

My Pi is getting spoiled. LOL! He now realizes that it is much warmer in the house than outside and this morning he came back inside 5 or 6 times before I had his heated (warming disks) bed set up in the vestibule. I now just use the warming disks under a thin rug (to keep them warm longer) with a crate liner on top which acts as his bed. For some reason he doesn't like to use the cat bed I bought for him but prefers an old hand-me-down crate liner of Happy's! Ahhhhhhhhhh! I then set up his food in the garage and he is set for the day. Unfortunately on this day that he seems to indicate he'd like to stay inside longer I have a morning doctor appointment and so CAN'T have him inside. He and Happy just aren't ready to be alone in the house together yet--even with gates, because we all know how high a cat can jump! He also has his "house in the pines" out there and his outside food station filled with straw so it isn't like he has to freeze. It IS cold today but sunny at last. If he is around when I get home and looks like he wants to come in I will surely let him in the house.

Linda, is Bell deep black or dark charcoal? In the profile picture he looks like he might be dark charcoal. Pi is 100% deep black, a real Halloween cat with yellow eyes. That's why I named him Piwacket.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Judy
Bell is a deep Charcoal. Piwacket That is a cute name. Bell came in this morning. I am thinking When it is to cold for him thats when he comes in. Like Pi he came in and out about 5 times. Gwen and Nemo were both sleeping on my bed so Bell was able to relax. But I saw good news from my Bell this morning. I was talking to a friend on the phone and forgot that he was in the house. I went looking for him and I could not believe it. He was in Gwens litter box. Witch made me think that he might have been someone cat. I heard that ferals dont use litter because they are use to going in dirt. I have to go on the feral wed site to see. I am so happy because that means there is more of a chance of making him an indoor cat and I was also worried about a snowstorm and I would want him to stay in all day. He has also been staying close to the house. Right now he is on the back deck in his small igloo taking in the sun. He is such a good boy.My Husband tells me I spent to much money on my pets. haha. Good Luck at the doctor.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Judy
Bell is a deep Charcoal. Piwacket That is a cute name. Bell came in this morning. I am thinking When it is to cold for him thats when he comes in. Like Pi he came in and out about 5 times. Gwen and Nemo were both sleeping on my bed so Bell was able to relax. But I saw good news from my Bell this morning. I was talking to a friend on the phone and forgot that he was in the house. I went looking for him and I could not believe it. He was in Gwens litter box. Witch made me think that he might have been someone cat. I heard that ferals dont use litter because they are use to going in dirt. I have to go on the feral wed site to see. I am so happy because that means there is more of a chance of making him an indoor cat and I was also worried about a snowstorm and I would want him to stay in all day. He has also been staying close to the house. Right now he is on the back deck in his small igloo taking in the sun. He is such a good boy.My Husband tells me I spent to much money on my pets. haha. Good Luck at the doctor.
Yes, I can see that clearly when I look at your profile photo full size. Eye doctor visit was great thanks. Yearly checkup. Interesting that you mention the littler box. Pi uses the one I got for him too. He knew exactly what it was for but he was very young when he first came into my yard...probably 6 months or so and he was starving. He would devour the food as soon as I put it down. But clearly neither Bell nor Pi have "feral" personalities so maybe they did originally come from someone's home and got lost or something. If that's what happened to Pi, he never found his way back to them and they had not neutered him. I'm glad Bell is coming into the house more often. Maybe he's getting older and tired of the cold winters.

P.S. Piwacket was the name of the little black cat in Bell, Book and Candle a movie starring Kim Novac and Jack Lemon back in the 60s or 70s. Kim Novac played a good witch and Jack Lemon a warlock. Piwacket was her black cat and my Pi looks just like him. That's where I got the name.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got blighty he was a be month old street cat. He started in my bedroom with the little cage, his food, water and a little box with cat litter in. On the other side of the room by my bed was a cat bed. He didn't eat or drink the first night but did the next day and used the box no problem.
One time when whisky came in while I was there. He went to blighty's food and this tiny scrap growled at whisky and put his paws over his foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.