Trying to bring in an outdoor cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today will make day 3 of keeping Pi inside and so far so good. The snow storm is due to start this evening and run into tomorrow with 4 to 12 inches predicted in this area depending on which weather forecast you listen to. To make it worse, there will be freezing rain and ice on top of the snow. I have come to hate January-February ever since last year! All we seem to do is go out to shop for food during breaks in the weather. Yikes! So, we will have to keep both Pi and my little dog Happy well occupied as we will all be housebound for a few days it would seem. I think Pi will be inside for at least a week. He is starting to indicate that he would like to come upstairs with us all at bedtime. So far I have not done that but eventually I'm sure it will happen. He seems to be bonding with the family unit. Here is a photo of him in a cute hand knit donut bed a friend sent me for him. He loves sleeping in it under a dining room chair.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful . You should make him an indoor cat. When spring and summer come you will worry about him getting into cat fights and bring ticks and fleas too. So glad it is working out for you. He looks like a real sweet heart. Bell is doing so great too. He had to sleep outside last night in his igloo with heating pads and heated disks . I had to sleep at my daughters because we were babie sitting. When my husband came this morning as so as he opened the door bell came right in. Thankgid he was able to stay in the bedroom with the door closed. He is in for the night. Pipi so glad we got our babies in for the night.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Linda, so glad to hear from you that Bell is OK. I remember that he was going to have to spend the cold night outside last night. Maybe he will be staying inside more too. Pi has been sitting in his window perch all morning looking out at the birds. He did meow at me 2 times but I gently explained he can't go out until after the storm has come and gone and the weather is clear. It is actually mild here today in the high 20s and low 30s but there is still a lot of snow on the ground. He could go out but the problem is the storm is due to start around 7 PM and since he has been inside so long I'm afraid he might stay out very late and get caught. So for my own peace of mind as well as his safety I am erring on the side of being overly cautious today. The advisers have all told me to keep him inside during this period and I am not going to fly in the face of wise advice! Keep Bell warm and I hope you don't get hit too hard again with this new storm on the way.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm puzzled. You've both got pipi and bell inside being quite happy and not crying at the door or hiding from fear, why are you both planning on letting them out again. By the time all this storming is over you'll both have house kitties.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi stewball I don't have a Choice right now . Bell and my cat gwen don't get along. Two days ago when bell was in for two days because of the blizzard. Gwen threw up and pooped on the floor. I think it was stress. I don't think it is fair for gwen. I just don't know what to do. But there is a storm coming so bell is in I want to take it day by day.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand both of you. I've only ever had indoor cats. My gentle and blighty both ca me from streets aged 2 months and never showed signs of wanting to be outside.
Judy, your dog is so sweet.your carpet is lovely and your chairs super smart.
keep up the good work you two. Hugs to the pair of you.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi pi pi and stew ball. Judy and Judy Bell came in last night and he is still in and I am going to have he in all day . Hopefully my cat gwen knows that bell has been in and she is being a good girl. But I have to watch that they don't stair at each other because gwen will start. I try and keep them busy when that happens.
Pipi your dog happy is so beautiful . I love his markings on him. I love the name happy. I also love the colors of you home. So pretty .

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi stewball and pi pi

Just wanted you guys to see that gwen is coming around. Here is a pic of all 3 in the same room. Bella does not seem to want to go out any more. I let bell go out but he came in after a few min.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Stewball and Linda! Thank you both so much for your compliments about my dining room furniture. The place doesn't look quite the same these days with Pi and all his things in the house and the gates, etc. But, I'm sure in time things will return to normal or I guess I should say a new normal! I have to keep Pi in again tomorrow and Thursday as I have appointments and I don't know how long he would want to stay out after being in for so long a time. Besides I have at least 13" of snow outside my house! Maybe Friday if the weather is OK. He has been quite good and he and Happy get along VERY well. He cries sometimes once or twice so I know he'd like to go out. But he doesn't run to the door scratching at it or anything like that. But when he looks out the window he always turns to me and meows. I think he's telling me he wants to go out there for a while. I have to play it by ear. Its not easy because I have my friend here too. Everyone tells me if I let him out after being in the house for a week (as of Thursday) that he will return. I truly hope they are correct.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi pi pi and stewball Tomorrow my grand kids are coming for 4 days. They will be sleeping over. My bell sleeps in the bedroom. That is were the kids will be sleeping. I only have one bedroom. What was I thinking when we bought the place. Ugh But any way I have to keep bell outside to sleep like he did for 7 years. I feel so guilty . I am going to at least try and bring him in during the day. Tomorrow it night it will be cold and windy. Good luck with pi pi.one more day and than maybe you can let him out. But now there will be another storm coming.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi the two of you. Areyou giving the grandkids your bedroom? Is there no other way. Let them camp out in the sitting room in sleeping bags. Great fun. You can't put the cat out. Can he not sleep where you will be sleeping.
Judy when pi pi looks at you when he's looking out of the window and meows he's saying 'isn't it lovely and warm at home mummy? ' Not 'I want to go out into the freezing cold and feel lonely.'
Try to keep him in as long as you can. He's not going stir crazy is he?
My two have just been investigating a very untidy cupboard of mine.
Show more pictures of the rest of your house.
I'm worrying about poor bell. How. Long will they be staying with you?
Looking forward to hearing from both of you
Hugs

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Well this morning I discovered something I was wondering about. Pi has worms! I came downstairs after getting up and after I gave him 3 smart bites to combat hair ball formation (he gets them each morning) he threw up! He coughed a lot first. In the middle of the mess was a little ball of writhing white smooth worms! Round worms I guess. So now a trip to the vet has got to be in the near future. They are not tape worms I'm fairly sure. First time I've had evidence of this. Haven't seen any while cleaning the litter box. Now my worry is for Happy getting them from Pi. Happy has never had worms.

Pi had a traumatic day otherwise too. My cleaning woman came for the first time since he's been inside. He was so scared of the vacuum cleaner that he ran and hid. She's been gone now 4 hours and he's still under the dining room table and not eating. Well, I guess that's an improvement over hiding under the sofa where he spent several hours prior. At one point he ran and hid behind a large vase of dried flowers on my stair landing. Egad this poor cat! His usual calm environment when I am here alone has been completely upended with my visiting friend, horrible weather and now the vacuum cleaner. I am getting some medical treatments, that's why my friend is here. Don't worry I'm ok. Tomorrow we have to go for one so my boys will be alone for about 4 to 5 hours. It will be quiet in the house and just what they need. They are so sweet together. I can tell you my stress level with all that's been going on is "off the charts."

Linda I think Judy (Stewball) has a good idea about the sleeping bags or something similar for the grands! Then Bell can bunk in with you and your husband. If your husband doesn't mind of course. Now I must sign off and see if I can coax Pi out from under the table to eat and get a loving from his mom.

I'll post more photos of my home soon Stewball. Thanks for the interest. Let's see yours too!

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor pi pi and the hoover.
when blighty goes to hide because people have come he crawls under my quilt on my bed. All you can see is a little lump in my bed.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have pi pi and stewball. That is so funny about you cat stewball because for the first time my gwen did that. I got so nervous because I could not find her and than I saw a lump under the blankets and that is were she was. The cats are Afraid of my grandkids 2 year old and a 6 year that are staying with us. I got good news though. Bell is staying in tonight. He was in all day today while the kids were here. Right now bell is hiding under the sink with all blankets around her. But she not want to go out to night. I swear if this works out she will never be an outside cat ever again. Here is a pic of the two cats together

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Pi-Pi. I have not read through your very long thread. :lol3: but wanted to address the worms you saw in Pi's vomit. Most likely roundworms. Bring a stool sample to the vet. IF Happy has been in the litter box (as most dogs seem to enjoy :barf: :lol2:) then he would need a dewormer as well. Pi needs to be dewormed exactly and no closer then two weeks apart. One for the adult worms and one for the larvae that will be hatching at two weeks time. This must be done. One worming will not kill the parasites. These are not tapeworms. You would be seeing what appears as dried rice in his bed. Tapeworm does not show up on a fecal. I have not been able to read through your whole thread so I do not know if you have dewormed Pi at all. If you can, bring in the vomit with the worms to the vet as well. I know, not fun, but the vet may want to see what kitty vomited up along with a stool sample.

It appears to me that Pi is VERY happy indoors and I think you are doing right by him and keeping him indoors during bad and cold weather. Please know that IF you do allow him outdoors you risk the chance of him not returning anytime soon. You will lose all control over his safety and overall health and he will pick up more parasites being outdoors. Indoor life is much safer for any cat, IMO. Meowing to go outdoors doesn't mean that he is unhappy indoors. The pictures you post of him in his bed tell a completely different story. It will take him some time to adjust to the indoor life. I am not trying to persuade you to keep him in but just prepare you for the fact that he may disappear for periods of time if you let him back out. There are always safe outdoor enclosures that you could invest in or build so he can enjoy some outdoor time during the day and at the same time you will be assured of his safety and save you much grief and worry!!! Best of luck and I think you are doing a wonderful job with him. He is a VERY handsome man. :vibes::vibes::vibes::wavey:

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 year old a 3 year old and a 6 year old running all over the place. My dog Nemo gewn and bell are frightened

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. My Pi-Pi had the opportunity to go outside for the first time in a week today at 8 AM. It was 11 degrees here and we have well over a foot of snow in the backyard with much higher mounds around the driveway where the plow has been. He went out the pet door and sat on the outside stoop and looked around for about 2 minutes. He then came back through the pet door and went into the garage to look around and see if all his stuff (still in the garage) was OK. It was. He inspected my car and my friend's car then came back up into the vestibule where he used to sleep. He looked out through the pet door then into the kitchen through the back door and zipped inside. I shut the door behind him. At first he looked a bit like he might want me to open it again and then mewed and walked into the dining room under the table, his favorite spot. It was as if he was saying, "It's better in the Bahamas Mom!" I'll let him do that on mornings that the weather is OK but the first time he comes inside I'll shut the door. A friend of mine and long time care giver to indoor/outdoor cats told me, "never let yourself become a doorman!" Good advice I think.

Pi has an appointment with Happy's Vet on Tuesday for deworming and a full exam. He has a problem with his left eye also. He keeps squinting and blinking it and there is a discharge. A friend said it might be conjunctivitis and to be careful because if it is Happy can get it and so can I and my friend. Its VERY contagious. I will also have the Vet put a chip in Pi so he can be identified as my cat should it ever become necessary. Now Happy too will have to have his stool checked. Ugh! Vet bills galore!

Good luck with your grand children and Gwen, Bell and Nemo Linda. Sounds like you have your hands full.

Status
Not open for further replies.