Trying to bring in an outdoor cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

gammeldame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't read this whole thread, but I am in a similar situation and our time lines are pretty close, too. My stray showed up in May and I had him neutered in July, so a couple of months before PiPi. Jaeger had to stay outside because of my two indoor cats being very resistant to a new roommate, and I would always be worried when I got home from work that he would be gone. At first he would go away for a day or so, but after he was fixed he would always be around after work...as long as I wasn't late. If I was late he would be gone and I worried until he showed up again, usually right before bed. Later in the fall, even if I was late he would still be around...not waiting on the porch, as usual, but out in the grass, figuring he would have to hunt for his dinner...until he saw me and realized the miracle can of food was going to be opened very soon.

So I know you are worried that your PiPi may leave when he is allowed access to the outside again, but since you had him neutered right before winter, his hormones are slowly ebbing and his desire to wander, get in fights and mate are leaving him. It is actually a good thing that it is winter, because no cat likes to be cold and every day he is inside is another day for him to get used to the high life and know that you will feed him and keep him warm and that your dog will not harm him.

You are doing great with him, and he knows it...

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pipi that's great. Maybe he will understand that it is safe in side. I hope happy will be ok when he goes to the vet. I am worried about my dog too. I am wondering it your cat is doing well on front line. My cat seems to be do ok but my dog not Scratching like crazy and I think it might be from the outdoor cat Bella . He is on advantage
Its been crazy with the grandkids. They run all over the place playing and being lot. Bell so far has been sleeping in the house at night. I just have to put him outside during the day. Yesterday morning I had for actually pick bell up and put him out. I felted so bad. I only have tonite for the kids to sleep over. My daughter comes tomorrow than bell will be in. I amjust hoping when the good weather comes he does not want to go back out. I amso stressed out and very very tired. Just wondering why did your cat get worms.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Piping must have got the worms in the time he was outside. Bringing them up would have made me vomit to see. OMG. Poor pipi. All that stuff in his little tummy. I hope happy is ok. How did he get an eye infection I wonder. Don't forget after you bathe it to wash your hands well, also before touching happy. Like I need to tell you.
That's wonderful that he wanted to stay at home. I told you, didn't I, what his little
meow means. Lovely and warm and safe here mummy.
I'd go mad if I had my grandchildren staying with me. I'm not madly maternal. And I have no room. Still they're all
different ages now. My son has 16, 15, 11 & 9 months and my daughter has 15, 9 & 6 years all boys. My son has two of each. The eldest and the youngest are the girls.
good night to you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Linda and Stewball and all others interested in Pi's progress. Here is his most recent photo taken this morning. He has taken over the house! LOL! Now he has a view of the backyard from his perch in the dining room and the front yard from the living room. Here he is sitting on the back of one of two matching loveseats in my living room. Excuse the mess, as you know a friend is visiting for a month and then there is Pi and Happy of course so not as neat as I would usually have it. I am still using the same practice...out in the morning around 8 or 9 AM and the first time he comes back into the house I close the door for the day. There is still so much snow on the ground and more coming tonight, tomorrow and Tuesday they say.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pipi that's great. Maybe he will understand that it is safe in side. I hope happy will be ok when he goes to the vet. I am worried about my dog too. I am wondering it your cat is doing well on front line. My cat seems to be do ok but my dog not Scratching like crazy and I think it might be from the outdoor cat Bella . He is on advantage
Its been crazy with the grandkids. They run all over the place playing and being lot. Bell so far has been sleeping in the house at night. I just have to put him outside during the day. Yesterday morning I had for actually pick bell up and put him out. I felted so bad. I only have tonite for the kids to sleep over. My daughter comes tomorrow than bell will be in. I amjust hoping when the good weather comes he does not want to go back out. I amso stressed out and very very tired. Just wondering why did your cat get worms.
Linda the Front Line is working very well on Pi. It killed that big old tick he had on his neck 48 hours after the application. He is due for his next dose on Tuesday but since that's the day he is to see the Vet I will wait until he tells me if I should use that or something else. There is a product that kills fleas and ticks and controls worms. I THINK its called Resolution. But its prescription only I believe so will have to wait for the Vet exam. Hope I can get him into a pet carrier. Happy is on Front Line for dogs and it does well by him too. I am going crazy trying to keep them out of each others water and food bowls and Hap from sniffing Pi's litter box so that Hap doesn't get the worms.

Stewball I don't know for sure that Pi has conjunctivitis but he has been winking and blinking that left eye for some time now. Could be mites??? We'll soon find out. I read about how cats get worms. Outdoor cats get them from eating prey they've killed as the prey often carry worm eggs. But the prey don't get worms! OR, they can get worms when they groom themselves and lick dirt off their fur. Worm eggs can live in dirt alone! WOW, sneaky critters. Yes I almost got sick when I realized what Pi threw up. Not nice at ALL.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had a dog and the cats, i put the cat food on the table. Not very right i suppose but it kept the dog out of the cats food and as far as the litter box is concerned they have a covered box with a swing window.
You know where you put kajal on the eyes? Well my dog had a tick there. He was so good and stood so still while I pulled the whole thing off and then I ran screaming to throw this wriggling disgusting thing down the toilet. After that I got him a special anti-tick collar and that was that. He was a big mongrel with alsation in him and was so gentle.
your room is lovely and I couldn't see anything untidy I must say. What do you think Linda? Have the grandchildren gone? All back to normal? How's bell?
Hugs to you both.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Stewball you are so funny. I have to put the cat food on the countertop in the kitchen and as far a the litter box Nemo has no interest . But I did have a dog that ate the poo in the litter box. It was so gross.so that is when I got that type of litter box. My grand kids left today. I just let bell back in the house to sleep. He only spent on night out in his heated house and he was fine. he did spend all day yesterday and today outside.
Pipi you cat looks so happy in the house. My indoor cat just looks out the window like that all day. We put bread out for the birds and that keeps her busy. Your house is not messy. You have covers on your couches just like I do. I never had to do that but I just got new leather couch and loveseat. Gwen never ever did anything to my other furniture. But this new set she started to claw it by the arms. I did not know cats love leather. That's what someone told me. We caught in time . I was upset . I only had the couch one month. So I went on the cat site and they told me to get a cat scratcher post. It works wonders. when we go to sleep at night I put in right out and she is happy. We do cut her nails once a week. But I heard that they need to stretch and shed there nails. Pipi I can't believe we are having another storm . Hope you make it to the vet tues.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here he is sitting on the back of one of two matching loveseats in my living room. Excuse the mess,

What a GREAT photo!! And, had to comment................. WHAT MESS????!!!! :lol3: Looks to be very well kept up and clean in your home. Glad that Pi is doing so well. Good luck at the vet visit and with his eye. I am sure it is nothing contagious to Happy nor you. Cat's do get colds in their eyes, it is very common. Hoping it is something very simple to take care of. :cross:

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a GREAT photo!! And, had to comment................. WHAT MESS????!!!!
Looks to be very well kept up and clean in your home. Glad that Pi is doing so well. Good luck at the vet visit and with his eye. I am sure it is nothing contagious to Happy nor you. Cat's do get colds in their eyes, it is very common. Hoping it is something very simple to take care of.
Thank you Feralvr. I guess I say MESS because of all the covers on everything. I did the decorating in January 2010 and bought the white sofas and matching chair because I had no pets at the time. My wonderful little Pekingese girl had passed away in the fall of 2009 at age 16 1/2 and I had thought she would be my last pet as I was about to enter retirement. I did retire in 2012. However, 10 months after losing my little Tobie girl (and crying every day) I started to look at the PetRescue-ny website and one day in July of 2010 saw the adorable face of my little Shih Tzu Happy. He was only 8 months old at the time. He is a clean little guy but does pick up dirty feet when we go on our daily walks and so I bought the covers to preserve the furniture for any future entertaining. Who knew in 2014-15 I would be taking in a wonderful little stray/semi-feral black cat. I can hardly call him feral but he did spend his early months outdoors for some reason. He had not been neutered either until he came to me. Super glad I have those covers now!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwwww... I've been waiting for a pic of them together.  Not quite curled up sleeping, but close.  And clearly Pi considers himself a member of the family now. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he's a proper little house cat now. Sleeping on the furniture with happy.
Your living room looks lovely and elegant. I like the glass things on your windowsills.
Isn't leather cold and slippery? I've always preferred material.
what sort of scratching post did you buy him? You can buy cardboards boxes with catnip especially for a watching. My two love them as well as their climbing frame where blighty feels like the king of the castle when he's on the top bit

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh he's a proper little house cat now. Sleeping on the furniture with happy.
Your living room looks lovely and elegant. I like the glass things on your windowsills.
Isn't leather cold and slippery? I've always preferred material.
what sort of scratching post did you buy him? You can buy cardboards boxes with catnip especially for a watching. My two love them as well as their climbing frame where blighty feels like the king of the castle when he's on the top bit
LOL, yes he is ALMOST...he still cries at the back door every morning. He didn't get out today because of the sleet, snow and rain. Tomorrow is the appointment at the Vet and the chore of getting him into a pet carrier first. Oh boy I think I'd better get a good night's sleep tonight. I'm definitely keeping him inside after we get home from the Vet. Told my cleaning woman to do all her vacuuming first while we are at the Vet.

The glass items on the windowsill were my mother's. She loved to collect antique glass. As for leather furniture that is Linda's mine is fabric. His scratching post is sisal and has that little round perch seat at the top. The perch is covered with a rug-like fabric as well as the base of the post which is square and flat of course. Got it on sale at Pet Smart.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been all day inside for both my boys due to nasty winter weather. But, it gave them more time to bond. Here they are after dinner discussing the World News they heard while watching TV with us.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you have material furniture. I talk to both of you at the same time. You just have to work out which one of you I'm talking to. Bad habit. I'll try to @ you both in future.
It's lovely to see him so comfortable at home and with happy.
Is pet smart a shop? I don't live in America. I'd love to visit but don't have the funds for that. Where do you live there?
You must be careful that pi doesn't knock the glass ornaments off. Cats have a habit of knocking things down on purpose.
what time is it where you are? It's 7.10th here.
Hugs.

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stewball I'm in New York State, USA. I live in a town called Harrison located about 25 miles North East of New York City. You're right I must be careful about everything actually. Pi is VERY inquisitive. It's now 12:34 AM and I must get to sleep. Talk tomorrow and let you know how Pi's trip to vet goes.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys.
You babies look wonderful together. I know how you feel about being stressed. Once you go to the vet today you will feel so much better . I have to get bell to the vet sometime soon. Our routine is bell likes to sleep in his igloo in the day. He likes being out side. He stays close to home. And than at night he is sleeping in. So far it is working out great. But I still have to watch the 2 cats together so that can be stressful to me. Here is my cat gwen trying to get to my fish .

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stewball
I decided to get a leather couch and love sit after looking for a whole year. I like microfiber it is great if you have pets but I could not find a color I liked. They either had light beige or dark brown. Not practical when having pets and grandkids with all the hair and spills with grandkids. I never thought I had to cover my couches because of the cat trying to claw the couch .

pi-pi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, today turned out to be a horrendous flop! Had the 10:45 AM appointment with the Vet for Pi. Started trying to get him into the pet carrier at about 9:55 AM. First tried with treats and almost had him but he ran off. Then I tried draping his blanket over him and picking him up like I saw demonstrated on YouTube. Also no luck! He is VERY strong and wriggled free giving me 2 long scratches on the inside of my right arm that bled a lot. Next time I'll wear my coat. We tried up until 10:30 then I had to call and cancel the appointment. SO DARNED ANGRY! I did take his stool sample and one from Happy over to the Vet and am waiting for the results. But I know Pi has worms and I think round worms. The test should verify that. I am concerned for Happy and hope his sample is clear. I also hope that when they get the results they will prescribe a worming med for Pi that I can do here at the house in the near future. I hope and pray they don't tell me he has to be seen by a doctor prior to prescribing because he really needs the meds and I want so much to protect Happy. They did tell me that if I can manage to get him into the carrier on any day and then call them IF a doctor has a free appointment I can bring him in. I'm going to work on getting him to sit in my lap. Perhaps if he gets used to that he will let me pick him up with no struggle. But that will take some time to achieve. As if that wasn't bad enough, my cleaning lady came today at the exact time we were trying to get him in the carrier. I was hoping to have him out of the house for the vacuuming. No such luck. When he saw her he ran and hid under the sofa. We couldn't coax him out. When she came into the living room with the vacuum he ran and hid behind the piano. I have the piano on an angle in one corner of the room. Its a spinet not a grand so it makes a nice safe cozy corner space behind it. Smart boy! He has finally come out and is under the sofa again. I am hoping soon he will forgive me and come over for a pat and loving BUT he was so shocked that I would try to put him in a carrier I don't know what that has done to our relationship. Naturally I didn't let him outside today (and it was a balmy 37 degrees F) because I'm sure he would have taken off and maybe not come back all night. Who knows. If its nice tomorrow I was thinking of letting him out for a bit as he has been asking and asking the last few days. We'll see as he could still be a bit put off by today's events. I surely do wish that he had kept his appointment today but life is never easy I guess. That's all for now. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Judy don't worry. I had called my vet and told him that I was trying to get my stray in side and he told me that if I can get a sample of his stool and if he was infected with parasites that he would just give him meds. Because I told him that I did not think I could get him in a carrier or even able to hold him when my cat gets checked. I told him he is more Feral then stray. So I think your vet just might give you meds so you don't have to bring the cat in. I would take happy to the vet. What a day you had. If pipi calms down tomorrow maybe you should let him out but only if he is calm. It must be hard also to have your friend there but she sounds like a wonderful friend. I would be so worried if I were you if pipi does not come back. It is going to get cold over the weekend. Oh the stress of our babies. But I believe God gave us these ferals so we could take care of them even if it gives us some heart ache.

Status
Not open for further replies.