Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Question... isn't there anyway you could isolate Watson or Mittens while it's dinner time for Watson? Say, feed Watson in the bathroom or take Mittens into the bathroom and distract him by playing with his cat dancer or something? Maybe that way Watson wouldn't feel so pressured and Mittens would try to eat his food?

Just a thought.
I would but the bathroom is 8X8, no room for him to even turn around. He doesn't even eat his food unless I sprinkle shredded cheese on it. Watson doesn't eat it at once either. So, I have to feed him 4 times a day. I just have to keep his bowl up when he's not eating. I just feed them at the same time so Mittens doesn't run over to his bowl. But, the problem is Watson is done before Mittens, so as soon as Mittens is done he will walk towards Watson's bowl and starting chewing, that's when I hear it and run back to put it up. It just takes a lot more work when you got two of them in the same house all day long.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw. I'm sure I'm gonna have to watch out that my 2 cats don't start eating each other's food since they're different ages... sheesh, no one told me 2 cats were so much work!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Aw. I'm sure I'm gonna have to watch out that my 2 cats don't start eating each other's food since they're different ages... sheesh, no one told me 2 cats were so much work!
Oh yeah! They are! I have my hands tied with just Mittens and Watson! Can't imagine getting another pet! I feel bad I couldn't play with them last night because I got home at 10:30 from school.
Oh well, I can play with them tonight!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww keep it up Candie and it will start to shift.

I always have to watch Sophie when the two of them have their wet food because when i'm not looking Sophie leaves hers, walks up to Rosie's bowl and pushes through to eat hers!, and poor Rosie just lets her and walks off
then after she's ate Rosies walks back and eats the rest of hers!.

It was funny at first and she knows what she's doing because she looks up to see if i'm watching

The thing is it's not as if Rosie gets anything different either because they both get the same?!.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can just see Sophie doing that!!

I had to separate them this morning because Watson let Mittens get to his bowl. So, I took Watson to the bathroom and he got to eat in peace!

Last night, the anger showed through Mittens and how hungery he was...I bent down to give him a petting before bed time and he took a huge chunk out of my palm!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Poor Mittens though... I guess he was really hungry! And poor you too, ow!

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should try Purina OM - Overweight Management for your big kitty, if possible. It really does work as long as you measure out the food. But be sure not to let him lose weight too quickly as it could affect his liver. I had this problem with my cat, Tinkerbell, before she passed away. She was over 18 lbs when I got her and the Purina OM was working great. She was down to 15.

Here's something to show your kitty to make himself feel better and give him some motive to get up and moving!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4724042/?GT1=3256

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GratefulBear629 said:
You should try Purina OM - Overweight Management for your big kitty, if possible. It really does work as long as you measure out the food. But be sure not to let him lose weight too quickly as it could affect his liver. I had this problem with my cat, Tinkerbell, before she passed away. She was over 18 lbs when I got her and the Purina OM was working great. She was down to 15.

Here's something to show your kitty to make himself feel better and give him some motive to get up and moving!

QUOTE]

Oh man! Looks like Mittens' friend! The vet recommended the food he is on now--I would rather go by what he says. Thanks for the advice--if this food doesn't work, I'll ask about the Purina. Did Tinkerbell pass away because of her liver shutting down or do you know the reason? She looks very precious though!

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no, that is not my Tinkerbell!! lol Click on the link below the picture and it will take you to the story. That is a cat from Germany whose owner fed it almost 4 1/2 lbs. of food daily!!

She passed away from other reasons. But a fatty liver is possible if you drop the weight too quickly.

I work at a vet and Purina OM is what they recommended to me.
Also there is Hills W/D.

But different foods work better (or worse) for different cats.

Good luck with your kitty!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fwiw, I've been trying to slim Miss Alix down (her tummies had grown enough that she was having trouble ah...shall we say balancing herself to do a proper backend wash?
) I've been using Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Weight Management, and she has slimmed down gradually and nicely!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Fwiw, I've been trying to slim Miss Alix down (her tummies had grown enough that she was having trouble ah...shall we say balancing herself to do a proper backend wash?
) I've been using Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Weight Management, and she has slimmed down gradually and nicely!
Poor Miss Alix. Maybe it was from taste testing all your yummy treats!
Glad to hear it's under control now!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How much is the Natural Choice?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Off the top of my head, at Petsmart it is 26ish or 27ish for a 20 lb. bag (plus add tax, which in my county is an ungodly 8.8%!)

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Off the top of my head, at Petsmart it is 26ish or 27ish for a 20 lb. bag (plus add tax, which in my county is an ungodly 8.8%!)
WOW! I pay $11 for a bag of 4.4pounds for the Hi-Factor!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I always get the 4lb bags (both my two get Nutro) and they're about $8-$10, depending on where I get it.

njcatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, Caprice -- sounds like you've got quite a big guy on your hands. I was looking back at the thread and your first post said Mittens weighed 24 pounds, 11 ounces, and then the update last Friday was 24 pounds. If he lost 11 ounces in one week, that's almost 5% of his body weight. Quite an accomplishment! Good luck with this week's weigh in! Jenn

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by njcatmom

Hey, Caprice -- sounds like you've got quite a big guy on your hands. I was looking back at the thread and your first post said Mittens weighed 24 pounds, 11 ounces, and then the update last Friday was 24 pounds. If he lost 11 ounces in one week, that's almost 5% of his body weight. Quite an accomplishment! Good luck with this week's weigh in! Jenn
Thanks! He weighed in at 24 pounds and probably a couple of ounces, but I am weighing him in at pounds only since I am weighing myself first and then weighing us both together. Atleast, that's my system until I take him back into the vet
So, he could have lost a couple of ounces, but I can only refer to pounds since my scale isn't in ounces. Thanks for the good wishes!
Tomorrow is weigh in day again!!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right--we lost 1.5 pounds since the last weigh in last Friday!!

Mittens has so much more energy that he has learned to jump over the gate and chairs around it to get out of the kitchen at night!
Checked all furniture for little messes and nothing, but he sure is sneaky! (We put him in the kitchen with all of his things so he doesn't wake us up early in the morning).

Thank you all for support and we are getting closer and closer to losing the 10 pounds--he won't stop playing with his cat dancer too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wooooo hoooooo Mittens you clever boy!!!!

You'll soon be running rings around Watson with all your new found energy!

Brilliant work Candie!, you've done a really good job

And 3 cheers for the cat dancer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.