This is it! We have to diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yaaay Mittens! That's exciting. As soon as Gibby is off the kitten chow, we're going to have to start rationing The food for the three of them (I'm simply afraid that Paige is going to eat all the other twos food, and then I'll have 2 underweight kitties, and one that is quite fat.)

That's a good 6%.

Assuming a 24 lb cat of average size, he was sort of like a 200 lb adult female. (this is assuming he ought to weight between 12 and 16 lbs), he has lost the human equivalent of 15 lbs. Impressive.

The weight loss will eventually slow, as it becomes easier for him to move about and leap, and jump, so if he plateaus, don't get discouraged, it means that he's healthier!

njcatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hooray for you and Mittens!! You should start a cat weight loss column: Tips for the Flabby Tabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by njcatmom

Hooray for you and Mittens!! You should start a cat weight loss column: Tips for the Flabby Tabby
That's awesome! I love that idea!!

Thanks everyone--it's exciting!

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say anything about dropping the weight so fast? That is *a lot* of weight to lose in one week. As turtlecat was saying, that's like a human losing 15 lbs. in a week. I can't imagine someone dropping weight that quickly.

I'm not trying to be rude or mean.. just worried about your kitty. I was in an appt. today with an overweight Corgi mix dog. He is scheduled to come back in in 2 months and the dr. said she would like to see him drop about 2 pounds by then.

If he continues to drop weight like this you might want to have bloodwork done and check his ALT (liver). Sorry, like I said, not trying to be rude. Just that I have gone through this before so I know what can happen.

I hope Mittens is doing good, enjoying this new found energy and the toys he's playing with.

Good luck!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, considering Mittens previous weight is "morbidly obese" by human standards, the equivalence is not terribly off, IMO. More to lose, less excercise will increase effect. though, I would have your vet take a look at him to make sure the sudden drop hasn't done something to his levels. I think, though, it's just because he's moving more now that he doesn't weigh so much + not eating watson's food (dog food, I think is fattier than cat food.)

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, how's Mitten's weigh in this week? I've been waiting eagerly-Is he still being a holy terror with all his energy?

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoa...didn't realize I had people responding to the thread as much...I usually come here when I get an email, but for some reason I haven't been until today...

He actually lost that weight in 2 weeks time. The vet said he should lose the first few pounds pretty fast and then it will taper off. I am not worried about him at all.

I haven't weighed him today yet because the scale at home needs a new battery, and I can't seem to get the old one out--it's one of those 3V batteries. I'll ask Zack tonight to get it out, and if he can't, I might just have to wait until I can get to a scale or buy another one. I haven't been around him or Watson lately, I've been swamped here at work and school...it's not fun...so I can't wait till things have slowed down for more time with them.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

Hurray for Mittens, keep up the good work!
You must be so busy these days, Candie! Sure hope you get some much needed time off really soon!
Thank you Stephanie!!
Zack and I are going on a mini-vacation the weekend before my Spring Break to a Bed & Breakfast near a lake.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mittens has lost another 1/2 pound. That is a total of 2 pounds (plus or minus) in 3 1/2 weeks.
He's been so much more active and is doing very well!!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Mittens has lost another 1/2 pound. That is a total of 2 pounds (plus or minus) in 3 1/2 weeks.
He's been so much more active and is doing very well!!
Yay! Fantastic news... good job to both you and Mittens!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent!! so that's great! He's at 22 now? That's a LOT of stress off his little joints and things.. his organs, too. I bet NOW he's beginning to appreciate the weight reduction

anfernee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I congratulate you and Mittens on his weight loss - it is good to see you are taking steps to correct him having gotten to that size.

I do however have a question for you. While i recognise that you have taken the correct steps to make sure you have a healthy cat, having looked at the initial pictures of the little guy i must ask this - how did he get that big in the first place?

I do not expect to be popular for asking this question, but that cat before he started losing weight was HUGE. I have never understood how people allow their animals to become grossly overweight.....i understand that a cat will whine and beg and it is difficult to turn them down, but the bottom line is they are not capable of maintaining a balanced diet by themselves, its up to mummy or daddy.

I am not having a go at you - i commend you for being a pet owner actually willing to do something about it because sadly there are many who would not.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wow Candie - I have just seen this thread
gosh what have I been missing.... what wonderful news that Mittens has lost 2lbs already
thats just marvellous

i am certainly subscriping to this thread so I can join your cheer and encouragement squad

WTG the 2 of you

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anfernee

I congratulate you and Mittens on his weight loss - it is good to see you are taking steps to correct him having gotten to that size.

I do however have a question for you. While i recognise that you have taken the correct steps to make sure you have a healthy cat, having looked at the initial pictures of the little guy i must ask this - how did he get that big in the first place?

I do not expect to be popular for asking this question, but that cat before he started losing weight was HUGE. I have never understood how people allow their animals to become grossly overweight.....i understand that a cat will whine and beg and it is difficult to turn them down, but the bottom line is they are not capable of maintaining a balanced diet by themselves, its up to mummy or daddy.

I am not having a go at you - i commend you for being a pet owner actually willing to do something about it because sadly there are many who would not.
I don't think I understand your comment: "...but that cat before he started losing weight was HUGE." I've only posted one picture of Mittens on this thread, and he doesn't look different at all at this point. Can you explain that?

I've posted this awhile back, but when he got him 2 years ago, he was already 20 pounds and the people claimed he was overweight because he was bottlefed as a kitten since his mother was killed in a hurricane. He gained the extra after we moved because he was getting to the dog food as well. That has been corrected.

I weighed him yesterday, and it said he was back to 24 pounds. So...I am at a lost at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.