The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno if this is actually a good idea or not, but a while back, Connor and Murphy scratched their chins raw (they had a few fleas escape the treatment) and I put olive oil on them until we got to the vet for more flea stuff.  Healed them right up.  Maybe you could give her bath with olive oil?  Since it's food based, I don't think it would hurt her.  I make myself a scrub with olive oil and brown sugar when my skin gets really dry.
Do they have plastic dishes? Usually cats get chin acne from plastic dishes, but maybe not in your case.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We progress with Little Bit.  Or, actually, we progress with Hekitty.  She is no longer doing her Dragoncat imitation when he comes to eat, and if I haven't fed him by dusk, she runs back and forth to the kitchen, meowing at me all the while.  This keeps up until his food is outside, and she is sitting patiently by the door, watching.  I think she's got a crush...STILL trying to figure out how to do the Sneaky Cat Hut.  I SHALL PREVAIL!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We progress with Little Bit.  Or, actually, we progress with Hekitty.  She is no longer doing her Dragoncat imitation when he comes to eat, and if I haven't fed him by dusk, she runs back and forth to the kitchen, meowing at me all the while.  This keeps up until his food is outside, and she is sitting patiently by the door, watching.  I think she's got a crush...STILL trying to figure out how to do the Sneaky Cat Hut.  I SHALL PREVAIL!
Hekitty!! What a sweet girl! She's already acting like a protective big sister!! 

Lilith looked after Henry when he was in his safe room then when he came out, she laid down the law as to who was queen. Hekitty will likely do the same if Little Bit comes in to stay. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha, he says he will "fly to wherever she is and protect her from 2016!" You can't protect anyone against the effects of old age, sadly. But he did say that "if she turns down his protection" (likely!), he'll donate the money to the local community theater, and that he just wanted to make people smile. So it's not a hoax, or even a joke really, just something cute.
I just took it as something cute and sweet too. Something to let Betty know that people love her and want her to stick around for awhile. I'd be surprised if she took it any other way. I watched an interview with her on Youtube recently where she discussed Rue McClanahan's wardrobe that was being given to others as per her will and she's as witty as ever. No one wants her to go. She even looks like my late grandma. I think she has become everyone's grandma. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If it comes down to it, I will request that.  I don't know how the laws work, but they'll probably try to refuse to let them listen to it.  Apparently, the survey is "confidential."  Right.  Real confidential.  We just conduct thousands of them every day.

I hope I don't have to go through all that, but if I have to, I will.  If all goes according to plan, I'll have a new job and can tell them to take this one and shove it.  Maybe I'll email them a youtube link with my resignation.

Sounds like fun, but also make sure there's a note so there's no possible way they can misunderstand.

Do you at least get overtime pay?
Sort of--we only get overtime if we go over forty hours a week, and even with the extra hours I was still two hours shy when I added it up for the end of the payweek. (I only worked four hours on Christmas.)

Funny story:

As of December 19, I have lived in this apartment for a year.  I have a large closet in my bedroom.  There's an opening and then it extends back the length of the room.  Apparently, it has a light in it.

Yes, I've lived her for over a year, but I knew nothing about the pull cord light in the closet til I heard a strange noise and asked John to check it out.  Murphy was in the closet batting the chain.  I guess Murphy wanted me to know about the light.
Or maybe he thought he wanted to play with the string. We will never know.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's precious and adorable.  I love her.

On another note, did anyone see the huge uproar over Steve Martin's tweet about Carrie Fisher?

Personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.  In fact, I'm confused about why anyone would have an issue with it.  It seems like a very sweet thing, to me.

And then, there was a the Cinnabons post.  Forever ago, they make a joke post about Carrie Fisher having the second best buns in the universe using a drawing of her bun hairstyle from Star Wars.  After her death, they put the picture up again saying she will always have the best buns in the universe.  People had a conniption fit because it was in "bad taste."  Obviously, I have never met Carrie Fisher in person, but based on her public image and what people who DID know her have said, she would have found it hilarious, not been offended.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

On another note, did anyone see the huge uproar over Steve Martin's tweet about Carrie Fisher?

Personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.  In fact, I'm confused about why anyone would have an issue with it.  It seems like a very sweet thing, to me.
And then, there was a the Cinnabons post.  Forever ago, they make a joke post about Carrie Fisher having the second best buns in the universe using a drawing of her bun hairstyle from Star Wars.  After her death, they put the picture up again saying she will always have the best buns in the universe.  People had a conniption fit because it was in "bad taste."  Obviously, I have never met Carrie Fisher in person, but based on her public image and what people who DID know her have said, she would have found it hilarious, not been offended.
Omg, I couldn't believe the uproar over it. That was absolutely ridiculous. We seem to have lost something called "sense of humor" in this day and age. That's really sad.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I think I talked about my diabetic kitty client on here before. The one I was taking care of earlier this month. Just wanted to let you know he crossed the Bridge on Monday. Got a text from his owner.

I'm freaking out over my own kitty in the meantime. I think I'm just paranoid, after all the stuff I've gone through with my cats over the last couple of years. So paranoid about Oscar being so thin. He's not underweight. He's a small cat that is thin, but not TOO thin. But it freaks me out. All my other cats are on the chubby side, but he's always been thin. And it freaks me out for some reason. I don't think I could handle something happening to him - not right now. He's my little boy and such a sweetheart. And only a year and a half old at that.

Anyway, needed to get that out.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There is nothing wrong with it, maybe some people are interpreting word "witty" or something else from that in very weird fashion instead of really just reading what it says?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your houseguest passing. <3 ((((((((^^)))))))) <3 *PRAYERS*

And as for Oscar, has he gotten a clean bill of health from his vet?  Some cats are just small, like some people are naturally thin.   If he's healthy and eats good food regularly, then he's just as he should be. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, referring to a human being as a "creature" and reducing their worth to their looks is not exactly optimal :/. That said, it would be better for people to take such things in the spirit in which they were intended. I didn't see anything wrong with the Cinnabon thing, though. . .well, OK, maybe making a bun joke was in poor taste. They really should have left that out and just posted the picture and "in memoriam Carrie Fisher" or something like that. Otherwise it looks like a crass money-grubbing ad campaign.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I think I talked about my diabetic kitty client on here before. The one I was taking care of earlier this month. Just wanted to let you know he crossed the Bridge on Monday. Got a text from his owner.

I'm freaking out over my own kitty in the meantime. I think I'm just paranoid, after all the stuff I've gone through with my cats over the last couple of years. So paranoid about Oscar being so thin. He's not underweight. He's a small cat that is thin, but not TOO thin. But it freaks me out. All my other cats are on the chubby side, but he's always been thin. And it freaks me out for some reason. I don't think I could handle something happening to him - not right now. He's my little boy and such a sweetheart. And only a year and a half old at that.

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty client crossing the bridge.  

Anyone would be worried after what you've been through.   Is Oliver showing any other symptoms?  If not, he might be naturally thin.  Wesley and Milo, my rainbow cats, both ate the same food but Wesley stayed thin and Milo grew fat.  Wesley lived to be 19.    Still it might be worth a trip to the vet, just to reassure you that Oliver is alright.  

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty client crossing the bridge.  :rbheart:

Anyone would be worried after what you've been through.   Is Oliver showing any other symptoms?  If not, he might be naturally thin.  Wesley and Milo, my rainbow cats, both ate the same food but Wesley stayed thin and Milo grew fat.  Wesley lived to be 19.    Still it might be worth a trip to the vet, just to reassure you that Oliver is alright.  
Ha, you remembered Oscar's brother's name! It wasn't Oliver, but Oscar. Oliver isn't exactly fat, but he's a tad on the fluffy side. The girls are definitely on the "very fluffy" side. Oscar's my skinny little boy though. He seemed to stop growing after a certain point, whereas Oliver continued to grow - there's a three-pound difference between the two. He doesn't feel any lighter but it still freaks me out for some reason. I wish taking him to the vet wasn't such an ordeal. He absolutely freaks out (panting and crying and running for the highest spot he can find).

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think this kind of hypersensitivity is the reason "political correctness" became such a big issue in the recent election.

So sorry to hear about the death of your diabetic kitty client. 
  I'm glad his Mama got home in time to be with him before he went.

As for Oscar, it sounds to me as if he's in the peak of health.  I understand why you're freaking out; your mind has made some negative associations between skinny cats and dead cats.  Those associations can be hard to overcome, but it does help to keep reminding yourself that a healthy weight is a good thing.

Here in Denver, in Colorado, there's one particular overpass that, for some reason, reminds me of pictures I saw more than a decade ago of a collapsed freeway after a major earthquake in Southern California.  It gives me the heebie-jeebies every time I encounter it, but not because it's unsafe.  I just have to keep reminding myself that this is not L.A..

Margret

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Ha, you remembered Oscar's brother's name! It wasn't Oliver, but Oscar. Oliver isn't exactly fat, but he's a tad on the fluffy side. The girls are definitely on the "very fluffy" side. Oscar's my skinny little boy though. He seemed to stop growing after a certain point, whereas Oliver continued to grow - there's a three-pound difference between the two. He doesn't feel any lighter but it still freaks me out for some reason. I wish taking him to the vet wasn't such an ordeal. He absolutely freaks out (panting and crying and running for the highest spot he can find).
Oops.  Sorry about the name mix-up!  If it's any help,  Chula and Paul are siblings and he's almost twice the size she is.  She's a dainty 10.2 pounds and he's a hefty 19.7 pounds.   About Oscar freaking out at vet trips - is there a decent mobile vet near you?

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Oops.  Sorry about the name mix-up!  If it's any help,  Chula and Paul are siblings and he's almost twice the size she is.  She's a dainty 10.2 pounds and he's a hefty 19.7 pounds.   About Oscar freaking out at vet trips - is there a decent mobile vet near you?
Funny thing is, the vet is literally next door to me. No mobile vets that I know of that are good (don't know if they are good or bad actually, no one I know has used them). If Oscar were a girl I think it would make more sense to me lol. He's a boy - granted, he's small even in body frame, but still a boy. It's like he just stopped growing after six months or so. He's not much bigger than he was when Lucky died. Oliver on the other hand grew and grew.

The vet didn't think anything was wrong with him when he saw him back in August. Then again, they were trying to get things done as quickly as possible because he was freaking out, and I was bleeding from where Oliver mauled me that day :/ I didn't even get a chance to ask the questions I'd been planning on because, well, it was a bit chaotic that morning!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your kitty client.  :(

Murphy is a bit on the thin side, too.  He's MUCH smaller than Connor, anyway.  I want to weigh them out of curiosity.  I think Connor weighs at least twice as much as Murphy.  I think Murphy and Mickey are about the same, but Mickey seems bigger because of all the fluff.  I think it's just his build.  We had a cat named Boots when I was a kid.  She never got bigger than an 8 month old kitten.  I wouldn't worry unless he starts acting sick.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties gain weight here at winter and some loose weight, all of them loose weight at spring though, it happens every year. During spring and summer eating is not their priority, but during the winter they spend time eating, instead of exploring wilderness.

Still some don't gain weight like others do, one of my boys which is first at food bowl does not gain weight, he is not chubby or thin, just normal, but does weight a lot, somehow more dense material in him than others, then one that does not rush to food bowl tends to gain weight.

They are biological creatures just like humans are and there are differences between them, no matter how much medical science and doctors try to treat everything as a same based on some random studies sometimes, there are a lot of variation, often more than is easily accepted.

Science is never ready, with unlimited resources it might get close, but as resources are quite limited so is knowledge about how individuals creatures actually are.

My Little iita is also one that stopped growing at young age, her head is somewhat smaller than other cats, but her long fur hides it quite well, her legs are really on short side, without her long fur coat, she would look really tiny, but also other cats of mine are larger size than average, one that I just measured is 21,7 inches long (body length, add tail to that) and 13 inches tall, average cat according to Wikipedia is 18 inches long without the tail and 9–10 inches tall, so little one looks to eye even smaller than she is.

Maybe Donutte needs to measure Oscar, if other cats are on larger side Oscar might just appear small, but might be close to average size, typical weight according to Wikipedia is 9 to 10 pounds, of course some breeds are bigger and heavier than that.

I think that 10 pounds sounds awfully little, even my Little iita weights bit more than that and she is tiny, but maybe it is again just appearance when others are much more than 10 pounds in weight so that normal looks small/tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.