The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little girl kitty, who maybe weighs 5 or 6 pounds (I don't have a scale). She has kind of short legs so that my friend calls her a dwarf, but I don't think they're that much shorter than normal :dk:. Maybe she does have some form of dwarfism, idk.

On the other hand are the big boy kitties who weigh 14 pounds without being fat (well, Bosco is fat! The other boys aren't). My newest boy is thick and heavy. The vet said he weighed 11 pounds but I have long suspected that his scale is a bit off. I'd guess closer to 13 or 14 pounds. He feels like a rock.

Point being: kitties come in different shapes and sizes. If you can't see his ribs or hipbones he's probably fine.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our littlest girl is only 7.5 pounds. She is tiny compared to Carrot who is around 11 or 12 pounds. Angua is right in the middle at 9.5 pounds. So I guess all my cats are fairly small. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties gain weight here at winter and some loose weight, all of them loose weight at spring though, it happens every year. During spring and summer eating is not their priority, but during the winter they spend time eating, instead of exploring wilderness.

Still some don't gain weight like others do, one of my boys which is first at food bowl does not gain weight, he is not chubby or thin, just normal, but does weight a lot, somehow more dense material in him than others, then one that does not rush to food bowl tends to gain weight.

They are biological creatures just like humans are and there are differences between them, no matter how much medical science and doctors try to treat everything as a same based on some random studies sometimes, there are a lot of variation, often more than is easily accepted.

Science is never ready, with unlimited resources it might get close, but as resources are quite limited so is knowledge about how individuals creatures actually are.

My Little iita is also one that stopped growing at young age, her head is somewhat smaller than other cats, but her long fur hides it quite well, her legs are really on short side, without her long fur coat, she would look really tiny, but also other cats of mine are larger size than average, one that I just measured is 21,7 inches long (body length, add tail to that) and 13 inches tall, average cat according to Wikipedia is 18 inches long without the tail and 9–10 inches tall, so little one looks to eye even smaller than she is.

Maybe Donutte needs to measure Oscar, if other cats are on larger side Oscar might just appear small, but might be close to average size, typical weight according to Wikipedia is 9 to 10 pounds, of course some breeds are bigger and heavier than that.

I think that 10 pounds sounds awfully little, even my Little iita weights bit more than that and she is tiny, but maybe it is again just appearance when others are much more than 10 pounds in weight so that normal looks small/tiny.
Well, it's not cats, but my husband is 2 meters tall (6 feet 7 inches).  When I haven't been out of the house for several days and then go to the grocery store I'm startled that everyone is so short! 
  (I should talk; I'm only 5'2".  Yes, he has called me "The little woman."  Once.)

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, it's not cats, but my husband is 2 meters tall (6 feet 7 inches).  When I haven't been out of the house for several days and then go to the grocery store I'm startled that everyone is so short! 
  (I should talk; I'm only 5'2".  Yes, he has called me "The little woman."  Once.)

Margret
I have a cousin who's 6'10".  The only door I've ever seem walk through without ducking was at Wal*Mart.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
I have a cousin who's 6'10".  The only door I've ever seem walk through without ducking was at Wal*Mart.
When I was in the hospital, a physical therapist walked into my room to introduce himself.  I took one look and said, "Let me guess.  You're 6 foot 5 inches tall, right?"  "That's right!  How did you know?"  "My husband is 6 foot 7, and he would have to duck to come through that door.  You just barely clear it." 

When we bought our house we went out of our way to get one with all of the doors tall enough that Roger doesn't have to duck, however, the first thing we did after moving in was to remove the ceiling fan in the entryway.  It's sitting in the basement, so that we can replace it should we ever decide to sell (unlikely) or so that our heirs can put it back before selling the house.  Or I can, if Roger should die first.

You know those silly games we play at baby and wedding showers?  In the U.S. there always seems to be one that has to do with converting between inches and centimeters, and I always win because of knowing that 6 foot 7 equals 2 meters.  Once you have that, the math is simple.

Margret

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've just had the most unexpected New Year's Eve surprise - my pension check came in early!  

This lets me pay a couple of bills before the end of the year.  Sometimes timing is everything!  
 ​
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! 

“May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light.

May good luck pursue you each morning and night.”

Traditional Irish New Year toast
 ​
 ​
[emoji]127880[/emoji][emoji]127880[/emoji][emoji]127880[/emoji][emoji]127880[/emoji][emoji]127880[/emoji]

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I haven't been on here for a couple weeks. My boyfriend was in town and I spent Christmas with him. I just dropped him off at the airport today.

I have news though. Something amazing happened on Christmas eve! I got Engaged!

We had to have the ring resized because it's an antique so it obviously wasn't made for me. But I just got it back from the jewelers today! It's white gold and opals with a diamond in the center :) I know how fragile opals are and I plan to take care of this ring and not wear it to work.

A close up image showing all the pretty colors in the opals!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats are small, Mingo about 12 pounds, Lily about 10. The vet said this was the best weight for them. Other cats sometimes stroll up on my deck, and they look like giants compared to my two.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I haven't been on here for a couple weeks. My boyfriend was in town and I spent Christmas with him. I just dropped him off at the airport today.

I have news though. Something amazing happened on Christmas eve! I got Engaged!

We had to have the ring resized because it's an antique so it obviously wasn't made for me. But I just got it back from the jewelers today! It's white gold and opals with a diamond in the center
I know how fragile opals are and I plan to take care of this ring and not wear it to work.

Congratulations! That ring is beautiful and looks perfect for you. 

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!  That's such wonderful news!  The ring is absolutely gorgeous. The family heirloom rings are really extra special.   I'm so very happy for you!  :hobbes:
margd margd

Thank you! It's actually not a family heirloom. It was a ring he found on etsy. The etsy store owner actually owns and runs an antique jewelry store in California where they sell a lot of antique opal jewelry. I actually looked at a lot of the rings on the etsy store and some of them were from the 1700s and 1800s! The etsy store was called LoveAlwaysGalacia. The ring came with a certificate of appraisal/authenticity.

The jewler we took it to thought it was gorgeous too. Even though he said it would be hard to resize because opals don't take heat well (and the ring was initially a size 5 which is WAY too small for my size 9 finger), obviously everything worked out well in the end :) .

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Raina! That is awesome :D

Thanks everyone for calming me down with my paranoia over Oscar. He's acting perfectly normal, chasing the moth-fly creatures. He's eating and drinking, no issue. I'm just.... paranoid. This past year and a half have just been rough with losing Lucky and Sara. I think the last naturally skinny cat I had was Tiger, who passed away back in 2002. In fact, the only naturally skinny cat I think we ever had before Oscar.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A close up image showing all the pretty colors in the opals!

Congratulations!  Were you surprised?  Guess we'll be seeing a wedding planning thread sometime this year.

What part will the kitties play in the wedding I wonder.  Probably not ring bearer - who knows where they would wind up!  Flower girl?  they can shred plants fairly well.  Decoration committee .  .  . sounds promising, confetti everywhere!  Wedding dress train chasers!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Hekitty!! What a sweet girl! She's already acting like a protective big sister!! 

Lilith looked after Henry when he was in his safe room then when he came out, she laid down the law as to who was queen. Hekitty will likely do the same if Little Bit comes in to stay. 
Alas, Little Bit can't come in.  My apartment is rental assisted, and has VERY strict pet regulations, and FIRST on the long list, is ONE pet per unit.  Not counting small cages animals, like mice, hamsters, birds and fish.  I will have to keep him taken care of very quietly and privately.
I think I talked about my diabetic kitty client on here before. The one I was taking care of earlier this month. Just wanted to let you know he crossed the Bridge on Monday. Got a text from his owner.

I'm freaking out over my own kitty in the meantime. I think I'm just paranoid, after all the stuff I've gone through with my cats over the last couple of years. So paranoid about Oscar being so thin. He's not underweight. He's a small cat that is thin, but not TOO thin. But it freaks me out. All my other cats are on the chubby side, but he's always been thin. And it freaks me out for some reason. I don't think I could handle something happening to him - not right now. He's my little boy and such a sweetheart. And only a year and a half old at that.

Anyway, needed to get that out.
Of course, you are worried.  That said, he's probably, no, certainly, healthier than the furry soccer ball who shares my home.  I am trying SO hard to get the excess weight off of her.  She has lost a little...

I'm sorry you lost your diabetic client, but so glad that his mama was there with him.

When I was in the hospital, a physical therapist walked into my room to introduce himself.  I took one look and said, "Let me guess.  You're 6 foot 5 inches tall, right?"  "That's right!  How did you know?"  "My husband is 6 foot 7, and he would have to duck to come through that door.  You just barely clear it." 

When we bought our house we went out of our way to get one with all of the doors tall enough that Roger doesn't have to duck, however, the first thing we did after moving in was to remove the ceiling fan in the entryway.  It's sitting in the basement, so that we can replace it should we ever decide to sell (unlikely) or so that our heirs can put it back before selling the house.  Or I can, if Roger should die first.

You know those silly games we play at baby and wedding showers?  In the U.S. there always seems to be one that has to do with converting between inches and centimeters, and I always win because of knowing that 6 foot 7 equals 2 meters.  Once you have that, the math is simple.

Margret
Drew, Spawn #1, is 6'10", and spent a good portion of his youth with divots in his forehead from walking into ceiling fans.  AND he wears a size 16 EEEE shoe>  He refers to his shoes as "rat coffins."

Sorry this is the wrong post!!! Sorry!!! I meant to reply to a different one.
No need to apologize.   I mean, this is the "what's on your mind" thread, and that WAS on your mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.