The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I have been a complete slug today, despite an ambitious To Do list.   I did manage to get two prints hung on the wall, without causing chunks of dry wall to fall out, so I guess that is something.    I then sat down on my bed and Chula came over and cuddled up beside me.  Now I can't move as Chula comes first of course so I am no longer being lazy.  I am now Being An Attentive Cat Parent.  

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm here for about a minute.  I had planned to do some real packing today, but something has gone amiss with my left big toe.  It's red, painful, and swollen to twice its normal size.  I'd think gout, but the only time it doesn't hurt is when I hold it and apply very gentle, even pressure.  That just isn't gout.  Tendonitis, maybe.  I've had it in both wrists, my right knee and both ankles.  At any rate, packing is out till this is better.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

I'm here for about a minute.  I had planned to do some real packing today, but something has gone amiss with my left big toe.  It's red, painful, and swollen to twice its normal size.  I'd think gout, but the only time it doesn't hurt is when I hold it and apply very gentle, even pressure.  That just isn't gout.  Tendonitis, maybe.  I've had it in both wrists, my right knee and both ankles.  At any rate, packing is out till this is better.
Ouch, that sounds very painful.  If pressure helps, would it help to wrap it in an ace bandage or something?  I'm really sorry this has affected your packing.  Why do these things always crop up at the worst possible times?  

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cats are quite stubborn.  They do what they want, when they want and never forget their importance.

I bought new sheets.  They're so soft and comfortable, I slept like a baby.  Connor and Murphy seemed to enjoy them, too.

I can't quit yawning.  Time to chug the coffee more quickly.

Also, my arm is driving me insane.  My spider bite is healing quite well.  I think it will be completely healed within a few days.  But for some reason, I now have an itchy rash around it.  I don't know if it's related or just coincidence but it's driving me batty.  It doesn't help that I'm still in allergy misery.  I'm allergic to all the fun stuff outside:  grass, trees, pollen.  I still like going outsite, though.  I'm also allergic to dust, dust mites, and mold.  Fortunately, I'm not allergic to any kind of animal hair - especially cat.  Because I would still have cats.  I would just never be able to breathe properly.  My boyfriend has a slight allergy to cats until he's been around them for a while.  His aunt's cats used to bother his allergies when he visited her as a kid.  When these two came home, he was a bit stuffy for about a week and then he was fine.  So, I don't have to make him take benadryl all the time.  Cuz my babies aren't going anywhere!!!
If the rash around the bite continues, and with your allergy history, I would definitely get it checked out.. and if you are sleepy, or laggy, then all the more so....

Over the past week, my guy had decided to re-claim my bed as his own!! Seriously!! 

He is always sleeping on my bed!! 

During the night, Artie will cuddle up so close to my legs, that it feels like a straight jacket is around them! I cannot move!! and I toss and turn. If I can get out, then he will just take over my favorite side of the bed!! or he will be in the direct center of the bed!! This is a queen size bed I am talking about!!

Yesterday, when I was changing the sheets, he claimed the bed again! and would not move at all!!..

This summer he had been sleeping on the pillow, above my head; now he is clinging to me!

Last night was funny. As soon as he saw me get out of the bathroom, he was on the bed, waiting for me!!

Crazy cat!! 

I have ridiculously sensitive skin.  When I was a baby, my mom had to use cloth diapers because every single brand of disposables broke me out.  Once when I was a teenager, I used some covergirl concealer under my eyes and they nearly swelled shut.  I can use other covergirl products just fine.  I can't even think about using cheap stuff on my skin.  No dollar store body wash for me.  I used an off brand of shaving cream - painful, itchy rash EVERYWHERE.  It's possible my arm brushed up against something it didn't like.

Connor and Murphy own my bed - and everything else in the house.  They are the kings and they know it.  They expect to be waited on hand and foot.
That still sounds like a dangerous bite, possibly infected.  I keep thinking about people who got Lyme disease before it had been identified, or before doctors realized it had moved into a new part of the country -- that presented exactly the same way.

I'm allergic to everything made by L'Oréal.  The last time my mother visited me, in 2001, she left several of her favorite facial cleansers and such behind for me, and I couldn't use any of them; they made my eyes itch horribly.

Ouch, that sounds very painful.  If pressure helps, would it help to wrap it in an ace bandage or something?  I'm really sorry this has affected your packing.  Why do these things always crop up at the worst possible times?  
They don't make Ace bandages that small.  You'd be better off getting some of that sports wrap tape that clings to itself.  (I like to keep some of this in my medicine cabinet at all times; it's just so useful.)  You can cut that down to whatever size you like, and it's also stretchy, like an Ace bandage.  Plus which, it doesn't require an annoying metallic clasp to hold it in place.  You may also want to apply cold to reduce the swelling, and an NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug -- i.e. aspirin, acetominiphen, ibuprofen, etc.) may help as well.  If it isn't better by tomorrow you may want to consult your doctor.

Today is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, and BBC America has been rerunning episodes from the original series.  A couple of hours ago I watched "Catspaw," which appeared to be a Halloween episode.  It featured two aliens, one of whom manifested as a black cat:

Kirk: "But why a cat?"

Spock: "Racial memories.  The cat is the most ruthless, most terrifying of animals, all the way back to the saber tooth tiger."

Margret

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That still sounds like a dangerous bite, possibly infected.  I keep thinking about people who got Lyme disease before it had been identified, or before doctors realized it had moved into a new part of the country -- that presented exactly the same way.

I'm allergic to everything made by L'Oréal.  The last time my mother visited me, in 2001, she left several of her favorite facial cleansers and such behind for me, and I couldn't use any of them; they made my eyes itch horribly.

They don't make Ace bandages that small.  You'd be better off getting some of that sports wrap tape that clings to itself.  (I like to keep some of this in my medicine cabinet at all times; it's just so useful.)  You can cut that down to whatever size you like, and it's also stretchy, like an Ace bandage.  Plus which, it doesn't require an annoying metallic clasp to hold it in place.  You may also want to apply cold to reduce the swelling, and an NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug -- i.e. aspirin, acetominiphen, ibuprofen, etc.) may help as well.  If it isn't better by tomorrow you may want to consult your doctor.

Today is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, and BBC America has been rerunning episodes from the original series.  A couple of hours ago I watched "Catspaw," which appeared to be a Halloween episode.  It featured two aliens, one of whom manifested as a black cat:

Spock: "Racial memories.  The cat is the most ruthless, most terrifying of animals, all the way back to the saber tooth tiger."

Margret
The bite was definitely badly infected, but thanks to my mom, the infection is gone and it's nearly healed.  The rash is gone.  I'm not sure when it disappeared - it vanished as randomly as it popped up.

I learned from a very young age to watch carefully for ticks and how to identify a tick bite.  I live in northeast Missouri.  I learned to fish before I learned to count.  It just comes with the territory.  Drop me off in the middle of the woods anywhere and I'll find my way out before lunch.  Drop me off in the middle of the town and 3 days later you'll find curled in the fetal position sucking my thumb because I have no idea where I am.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The bite was definitely badly infected, but thanks to my mom, the infection is gone and it's nearly healed.  The rash is gone.  I'm not sure when it disappeared - it vanished as randomly as it popped up.

I learned from a very young age to watch carefully for ticks and how to identify a tick bite.  I live in northeast Missouri.  I learned to fish before I learned to count.  It just comes with the territory.  Drop me off in the middle of the woods anywhere and I'll find my way out before lunch.  Drop me off in the middle of the town and 3 days later you'll find curled in the fetal position sucking my thumb because I have no idea where I am.
Oh, good.  Glad to hear it.

If you find yourself lost in the middle of town, it's time to talk to a cop.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, good.  Glad to hear it.

If you find yourself lost in the middle of town, it's time to talk to a cop.

Margret
Got it.  Will do.  If there is one nearby.

I'm not kidding about being directionally challenged.  When I was at Mizzou I had to follow people to find all my classes for 3 months.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Have to catch the marathon today.  I was too busy yesterday...

I remember when it first aired. It was past my bedtime, but I had to conveniently 'forget' my bedtime in order to watch it.. and it was always, "next advertisement, I will go to bed'... when that time came around, I "forgot" to go to bed!! 

I am a semi-Trekkie. 

I remember years ago when there was a Star Trek exhibit at the Museum of Science, in Boston. I dragged one of my friends along with me.. Had so much fun.. like a little kid.. We were able to get transported also...it was so cool..

I hogged the line, and people were getting a bit perturbed with me.. but I loved it!!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
@Artiemom you are not the only Star Trek fan around here!  I like the sounds of getting transported - how did that work?   I need someone to transport me out of lazing around territory into hanging curtains territory.  Or better yet, transport me to a tropical island with crystal blue seas and golden sands.  Of course, Chula and Paul could come as well. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Got it.  Will do.  If there is one nearby.

I'm not kidding about being directionally challenged.  When I was at Mizzou I had to follow people to find all my classes for 3 months.
You are not alone!

I always said that I cannot find the way out of a paper bag!! 

I have to use my phone gps for everything... 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Love that picture!!!

As for the transporting.. If memory serves me correctly. It was a fake transporter room set up, videoed onto a TV screen in front of you. You stepped on it, the computer placed you in the transporter room and transported you on the Screen.... It was kind of cool.. complete with sounds.. You never knew where you would end up!!

I remember there were a lot of cool things. I did not want to leave the event, but my friend was not as huge a fan as I was. I was really hogging my time there. What did I care?? 

Live long and Prosper,  to all

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You are not alone!

I always said that I cannot find the way out of a paper bag!! 

I have to use my phone gps for everything... 
Oh my gosh, so do I!  I find one easy way to get to all the places I need to get to often and always take that route.  People are like, you can take this route; it's faster.  I'm like, do you want me to end up in Siberia?  Because if I go off my route, I will end up in Siberia!

And then people try to ask me for directions.  Ha!  If I tried giving you directions to Canada, you'd wind up in Mexico.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Are you sure it isn't dislocated?  My sister managed to do that.  It was very painful and swollen.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have to catch the marathon today.  I was too busy yesterday...

I remember when it first aired. It was past my bedtime, but I had to conveniently 'forget' my bedtime in order to watch it.. and it was always, "next advertisement, I will go to bed'... when that time came around, I "forgot" to go to bed!! 

I am a semi-Trekkie. 

I remember years ago when there was a Star Trek exhibit at the Museum of Science, in Boston. I dragged one of my friends along with me.. Had so much fun.. like a little kid.. We were able to get transported also...it was so cool..

I hogged the line, and people were getting a bit perturbed with me.. but I loved it!!
I wasn't allowed to watch Trek at all as a child.  
  I caught them all in reruns, however.  The only Trek I haven't seen is the animated series.  I wish they'd rerun Deep Space 9 -- excellent show.

Did you ever see Airplane II: The Sequel?  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_II:_The_Sequel)  It features William Shatner as the commander of a moon base, and every time he comes up to one of the sliding automatic doors on the base he has to say "Shh!" (like the door opening sound on Trek) to make the door open.

@Margd, feel free to invite Jasmine and me along if you ever figure out how to make that happen.  Jasmine doesn't much like travel, but I'm pretty sure she could handle the instantaneous variety, especially if it landed her in a place with a giant litter box.

Margret

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really dislike people.  You have no idea.  How dadblamed hard is it to answer TWO questions with a scale choice?  I can't accept "the first one," or "the middle one."  And if I'm asking for someone and someone else wants to do the survey, I AM NOT ALLOWED to do that!!!  Come on, people!  And seriously, if I talk to one more jealous girlfriend who thinks I'm after I'm her man or one more perverted guy who thinks I want to give him my personal number or listen to him talk like a creeper, I'm gonna lose it!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really dislike people.  You have no idea.  How dadblamed hard is it to answer TWO questions with a scale choice?  I can't accept "the first one," or "the middle one."  And if I'm asking for someone and someone else wants to do the survey, I AM NOT ALLOWED to do that!!!  Come on, people!  And seriously, if I talk to one more jealous girlfriend who thinks I'm after I'm her man or one more perverted guy who thinks I want to give him my personal number or listen to him talk like a creeper, I'm gonna lose it!
Am I correct in deducing that you do telephone surveys for your job?  It's a difficult year for that kind of job.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Am I correct in deducing that you do telephone surveys for your job?  It's a difficult year for that kind of job.

Margret
Yes.  The survey I do is for a rental car company I am not allowed to name.  I ask 2 questions and it would less than a minute if people would shut the heck up and answer them.

On the bright side, the building I used to work at closed and I've been working from home since the beginning of August.  So, I play around on my laptop, my phone, read books, cuddle kitties, etc.  I'm very good at my job and an expert multitasker.

Still, this job repeatedly underscores the stupidity of the world.  But, I understand how we ended up with 2 worst presidential candidates in history.  People are dumb.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been shopping for my wedding all day. But of course I forgot a whole bunch of things even though we had a list. Gah! So ready for the planning part of this to be over. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Are you sure it isn't dislocated?  My sister managed to do that.  It was very painful and swollen.
Did you hit it on anything? You may have hit it and were too busy to remember it.. Oh, you got the pain at the time, but without a bruise, you may not remember it because you had too much on your mind...

I wasn't allowed to watch Trek at all as a child.  
  I caught them all in reruns, however.  The only Trek I haven't seen is the animated series.  I wish they'd rerun Deep Space 9 -- excellent show.

Did you ever see Airplane II: The Sequel?  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_II:_The_Sequel)  It features William Shatner as the commander of a moon base, and every time he comes up to one of the sliding automatic doors on the base he has to say "Shh!" (like the door opening sound on Trek) to make the door open.

@Margd, feel free to invite Jasmine and me along if you ever figure out how to make that happen.  Jasmine doesn't much like travel, but I'm pretty sure she could handle the instantaneous variety, especially if it landed her in a place with a giant litter box.

Margret
No, I have not seen the sequel to Airplane. I have the original DVD of it.. it sounds good....

Yes.  The survey I do is for a rental car company I am not allowed to name.  I ask 2 questions and it would less than a minute if people would shut the heck up and answer them.

On the bright side, the building I used to work at closed and I've been working from home since the beginning of August.  So, I play around on my laptop, my phone, read books, cuddle kitties, etc.  I'm very good at my job and an expert multitasker.

Still, this job repeatedly underscores the stupidity of the world.  But, I understand how we ended up with 2 worst presidential candidates in history.  People are dumb.
I know you have to make a living, but I really, really dislike strongly telemarketers and survey people... sorry. 

A very hard job to do....

I have been shopping for my wedding all day. But of course I forgot a whole bunch of things even though we had a list. Gah! So ready for the planning part of this to be over. 
It will be over before you know it... Have fun and try to enjoy yourself... please do not panic.. people will still love you and your wedding...((hugs))

Status
Not open for further replies.