The Weight Loss Support Group - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone on myfitnesspal? it's an awesome site where you can track your foods, calories, carbs, whatever, along with vitamins and such. It kinda like Facebook for weight loss :)

If you want to be friends my username is le_danse_macabre.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I need to start doing this, or something. Been trying to lose weight for more than two years now, but motivation and zero cooking skills is a huge problem for me. Plus I haven't found a method that works for me, so after awhile I just lapse back into "meh, whatever" mode.

*sigh*

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on MyFitnessPal, but use it primarily for the exercise part. I do somewhat use it for my food, but I've found that I cook too much from scratch and have to figure out all the calories on my own anyway. And then I just add them using Quick Tools. And some of their food calories aren't all that accurate. But I love it for keeping track of my elliptical work outs. And my Fitbit is synced into MyFitnessPal, so that helps, too. 

I try to stay right around 1200 calories a day. Even with my elliptical and my walking. I have such an insanely low metabolism that sometimes if I even stick with 1200 calories, I still gain weight. It's very frustrating. 

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to stay right around 1200 calories a day. Even with my elliptical and my walking. I have such an insanely low metabolism that sometimes if I even stick with 1200 calories, I still gain weight. It's very frustrating. 
Yikes! You might actually need to eat MORE calories. Unless you're very short and thin already, 1200 calories sounds like far too few, especially if you're exercising. You could be tricking your metabolism into going even slower since you're aren't eating much. What does MFP recommend your calories to be? (The nice thing about MFP is that if you track your food along with exercise it counts the calories burned in exercise towards your net goal for the day - the more you exercise the more you can eat. I love MFP!)

I am extremely overweight (my weight starts with a 3) and I'm eating a 15-20% deficit of calories, and that still puts me at 2500 calories... to LOSE weight! 

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm here checking it out and I may return if I feel I'm going to make a worthy effort to lose weight. I hope to make a real attempt soon. In past years I did lose weight when I really really tried. The only time i have had major success (and i mean i went from pushing close to 200 pounds to seeing the begining of ab muscles the first time!)losing weight is with the Body for Life plan so I will most likely try it again. It takes a while getting organized for it but I dropped 44 pounds in a few months and kept it off for years, then I did it again a few years back and dropped 33 pounds. Of course life and my sweet tooth and laziness got in the way and I gained most of it back. Now I'm dodging back surgery and plantar fasciitis so it will be more difficult but I figure I CAN lose something (I hope)

Good Luck to everyone! Stay positive :)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone on myfitnesspal? it's an awesome site where you can track your foods, calories, carbs, whatever, along with vitamins and such. It kinda like Facebook for weight loss

If you want to be friends my username is le_danse_macabre.
I am on mfp but decided to keep my journal for just myself :)

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's it going folks? Tonight I made chicken alfredo with broccoli, no noodles. Yummy! Need to learn to make my own alfredo, don't like the soybean oil and other ingredients in the jar stuff.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a huge salad with various raw veggies, and a bison burger with cheese.  Dark chocolate with sea salt for my carb/dessert.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to our new people! :clap::clap::clap:

I broke down and got on the scale this morning. :eek: :eek: I was horrified. I am back on the wagon for sure. It didn't help that I am coming off a very salty pizza/cake/ice cream birthday party at my brother's last night.

Does anyone want to come up with a weekly challenge for us for Friday?

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered a scale so I should be able to participate in weigh-ins, yay! Do we share our weight or just amount lost?

Hmm, a challenge. How about a challenge to come up with a new recipe that fits your diet, cooking it, and reporting back on how it tastes and what you would do differently?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I ordered a scale so I should be able to participate in weigh-ins, yay! Do we share our weight or just amount lost?

Hmm, a challenge. How about a challenge to come up with a new recipe that fits your diet, cooking it, and reporting back on how it tastes and what you would do differently?
It's totally up to yo0u if you post actual weights or not. Most just post difference. I post difference because I'm fairly certain a few real life people read all my posts here and they don't need to know my weight. :wavey: to you lurkers. :lol3:

As far as difference. I did get on the scale this morning and lost 3.5 pounds since yesterday. :wavey: water weight. It would be nice if the rest of it were water, but I know that's not the case. :lol3:

I get a lot of cooking magazines and haven't gone through any in a while. I told my husband the other day that I wanted to try a new recipe a week, so I could pick one next week and adapt it to our diet. :nod:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'd do the new recipe challenge. I'd also try a balanced meal challenge. Whatever the majority of posters wish to do is fine by me. They're both good ideas.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we do the new recipe challenge, can the new one I tried tonight count?? 

Tonight we had steak and broccoli with cheese sauce (the cheese sauce was the new recipe). It was actually the first time I have cooked steak and I was very nervous. The cuts of steak were uneven so some parts were overdone but overall it wasn't bad at all. I need a cast iron pan and better quality steaks next time though.

For my particular diet I am trying to stick to under 30 grams of carbohydrate per day. So far I'm at 16 grams! And that includes 30 dark chocolate almonds I had earlier, so yummy. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

If we do the new recipe challenge, can the new one I tried tonight count?? 

Tonight we had steak and broccoli with cheese sauce (the cheese sauce was the new recipe). It was actually the first time I have cooked steak and I was very nervous. The cuts of steak were uneven so some parts were overdone but overall it wasn't bad at all. I need a cast iron pan and better quality steaks next time though.

For my particular diet I am trying to stick to under 30 grams of carbohydrate per day. So far I'm at 16 grams! And that includes 30 dark chocolate almonds I had earlier, so yummy. 
That works for me. But, if you don't mind, I'd like to know the nutritional information per serving and how many servings the recipe makes (sorry). Is that too much of a hassle? I mean, I'd actually like to see the recipe itself as well as what you thought of it. I know, I'm a pain in the tushie.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That works for me. But, if you don't mind, I'd like to know the nutritional information per serving and how many servings the recipe makes (sorry). Is that too much of a hassle? I mean, I'd actually like to see the recipe itself as well as what you thought of it. I know, I'm a pain in the tushie.
Of course! That makes perfect sense. I didn't do it above since I didn't know if we were actually doing that challenge or not. (Or even how "challenges" work!)

MyFitnessPal made calculating the nutrition info super easy so it's no trouble at all.

Adapted from this recipe.
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 4 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 4 tbsp heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp A1 sauce
Put all ingredients except cheddar cheese into a sauce pan on low heat. Grate in the cheddar. By the time you are done grating, the cream cheese is melted and whisking is a breeze! Whisk until smooth.

Makes four servings.

Nutrition info per serving:
  • 311 calories
  • 29 g fat
  • 9 g protein
  • 2 g carbs
  • 0 g fiber
May not be suitable in this quantity for low-calorie or low-fat folks, but for those of us with the room to spare, this is delicious on vegetables.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd like to join in here!

We just got a treadmill so I've been exercising again (I stopped when the hiking trail got icy). My goal is 30lbs by the end of April and the ability to jog a 5k by the end of August.  I know I can do both as I have plenty of time and no reason not to work hard, I just need to keep my eyes on the prize!

Posting my weight loss/gain on here will keep me honest. Let's all do our best! :D

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd do the new recipe challenge. I'd also try a balanced meal challenge. Whatever the majority of posters wish to do is fine by me. They're both good ideas.
I could do either as well. What would the majority like to do?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd like to join in here!

We just got a treadmill so I've been exercising again (I stopped when the hiking trail got icy). My goal is 30lbs by the end of April and the ability to jog a 5k by the end of August.  I know I can do both as I have plenty of time and no reason not to work hard, I just need to keep my eyes on the prize!

Posting my weight loss/gain on here will keep me honest. Let's all do our best! :D
Welcome! :wavey:

We also have an exercise motivation thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/270303/the-exercise-motivation-thread-2014

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like both, my only quibble is I don't think most will find my meals balanced since I'm not limiting the same things LOL.  I'm hopeful for another loss this Friday..so far, so good this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.