The Positive Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw the sweetest thing today. It was our homeschool group Christmas party; so there were a variety of ages there from teenagers right down to a little boy who looks about 2. They were playing games like Simon Says and Musical Chairs. They included that little 2 year old in everything! His mom helped with musical chairs but an 11 year old boy pulled him up to help him be Simon. The boys played chase with him around the room. He sat on one of their laps for a sit down activity. Preteen boys! And then I noticed the other kids starting to do the same. It was SUPER sweet to see them do that. Some kids parents are doing an amazing job! :redheartpump:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a package come from my aunt yesterday. She sent several kinds of goodies and little gifts for us all; but the BEST was a whole loaf of Placek! (Polish sweet bread with raisins.) When I was a kid making Placek was a once a year event where the whole family came to my Grandparent's house to make the dough. Us kids would get scolded for jumping (because nothing gives you the urge to jump more than being told you can't!) and potentially ruining the rising dough. I don't think we ever did. :lol: I don't know how many loaves they would make but Gram would freeze a number of them for later. We'd have a slice toasted with butter for a breakfast treat when we stayed overnight at their house.

I haven't had any in years! I think my aunt is the only one who makes it. Being gifted a loaf is a real treat!! :redheartpump: I almost cried. Meanwhile DD said 'I thought you said plastic..." :flail:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
J still has a fever, and a month later when I thought we were safe, I think M may have HFM now. I'm going to monitor over the next few hours.

I'm ready to just lay down and give up.
I had a package come from my aunt yesterday. She sent several kinds of goodies and little gifts for us all; but the BEST was a whole loaf of Placek! (Polish sweet bread with raisins.) When I was a kid making Placek was a once a year event where the whole family came to my Grandparent's house to make the dough. Us kids would get scolded for jumping (because nothing gives you the urge to jump more than being told you can't!) and potentially ruining the rising dough. I don't think we ever did. :lol: I don't know how many loaves they would make but Gram would freeze a number of them for later. We'd have a slice toasted with butter for a breakfast treat when we stayed overnight at their house.

I haven't had any in years! I think my aunt is the only one who makes it. Being gifted a loaf is a real treat!! :redheartpump: I almost cried. Meanwhile DD said 'I thought you said plastic..." :flail:
At first I thought you meant: Oplatek-- the Holy wafer.. I was thinking a loaf of it!! HA. I am Polish. We used to refer to the sweet bread as a Babka.. You could have it with raisins, or cheese, or strawberries, etc...
I miss all that Polish food. Until my dad got really sick, we would have it each an every Christmas and Easter.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At first I thought you meant: Oplatek-- the Holy wafer.. I was thinking a loaf of it!! HA. I am Polish. We used to refer to the sweet bread as a Babka.. You could have it with raisins, or cheese, or strawberries, etc...
I miss all that Polish food. Until my dad got really sick, we would have it each an every Christmas and Easter.
I think I do have a recipe for Babka in the cookbook my aunt made me when I got married. I’ve noticed several of my great-grandmother’s recipes are different than what I see when I google them. Kluski for example. I also see toppings on the Placek pictures. Maybe it was her personal preference and thats how she handed them down. Or someone else in my ancestry I guess.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I do have a recipe for Babka in the cookbook my aunt made me when I got married. I’ve noticed several of my great-grandmother’s recipes are different than what I see when I google them. Kluski for example. I also see toppings on the Placek pictures. Maybe it was her personal preference and thats how she handed them down. Or someone else in my ancestry I guess.
Funny,I'm not big on sweet stuff,not really into cake,pies or deserts and don't like chocolate at all but I have a dear friend that bakes and I really thought I loved Red Velvet cake.... I've only ever had hers

Last week I was in Publix supermarket and felt like something sweet,I saw a beautiful slice of Red Velvet cake so I bought it- uggghgkkk

I called my friend & Saud ' it was disgusting,it tasted like chocolate "! She said" it is chocolate".... I was shocked.Your Grandmas recipes reminded me of that,- you have to wonder if you like that thing they made or if you like the way they make the thing,lol

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today I am puttering around getting things done while DD does the Christmas cookie baking. It's awesome! :lol:

Funny,I'm not big on sweet stuff,not really into cake,pies or deserts and don't like chocolate at all but I have a dear friend that bakes and I really thought I loved Red Velvet cake.... I've only ever had hers

Last week I was in Publix supermarket and felt like something sweet,I saw a beautiful slice of Red Velvet cake so I bought it- uggghgkkk

I called my friend & Saud ' it was disgusting,it tasted like chocolate "! She said" it is chocolate".... I was shocked.Your Grandmas recipes reminded me of that,- you have to wonder if you like that thing they made or if you like the way they make the thing,lol
The hardest things about finding those "lost" or "unknown" recipes is wanting what your mind remembers but not knowing what ingredients that is! The Puerto Rican recipes I grew up eating are the worst for me because I don't speak the language at all! And so many things; there aren't written recipes for me to even ask for. I've had that happen with my grandmother's recipes too. Even the apple pie I grew up making often with my Gram I don't get exactly like hers. I think thats the apple variety though. I did find the meatballs for Italian Wedding Soup (not what my Grandma called it!) at an Italian Market; but they've had to close their shop (older couple) while working on opening an online store. I may be buying 5lb bags of those once they get it up and running. I was enjoying them SO much!!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I am puttering around getting things done while DD does the Christmas cookie baking. It's awesome! :lol:

The hardest things about finding those "lost" or "unknown" recipes is wanting what your mind remembers but not knowing what ingredients that is! The Puerto Rican recipes I grew up eating are the worst for me because I don't speak the language at all! And so many things; there aren't written recipes for me to even ask for. I've had that happen with my grandmother's recipes too. Even the apple pie I grew up making often with my Gram I don't get exactly like hers. I think thats the apple variety though. I did find the meatballs for Italian Wedding Soup (not what my Grandma called it!) at an Italian Market; but they've had to close their shop (older couple) while working on opening an online store. I may be buying 5lb bags of those once they get it up and running. I was enjoying them SO much!!
Minestra maritata( which actually means " marraige soup" becausd of the marrying of flavors- We often wondered how the Americans changed it to Italian Wedding Soup... funny,right?

the little meatballs are just ground beef ,ground pork,sauteed garlic&onion very finely minced,parsley- no bread,breadcrumb or grated parmesan like regular meatballs- they go in the chicken stock (and less than half beef) broth and scarola raw to cook at a slow boil marrying the flavors❤

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am about to start my last batch of cookies; which are no-bake. DD and I have been working up a storm the last 2 days in the kitchen. I’m ready to be done! :runningcat:

EDIT: Ok no no-bakes tonight. Someone must have snacked on the marshmallows because I can’t find them anywhere. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Finally finished my holiday cards and dropped them off at the P.O. yesterday. Only one gift left to wrap and two more to be hand delivered them I'm done! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.