The Positive Post (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm happy that I've made some changes in my life over the last couple weeks that have made me stronger and more confident.

I am positive because I am content.

I am extremely thankful for my friends, the ppl I've met online who share my life. I love u all, and thank you for being around for me, especially over the last year when I've needed you the most.

I feel overwhelmed with emotion at the moment, I count myself very fortunate to have those that I do, standing by my side

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thankful for my cute pajama bottoms; they make me smile (they have adorable owls on them
)!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*breathe*breathe*breathe*

Anyone who's friends with me on FB and is logged in right at this moment would know why I'm posting this... I've been trying to get out of my retail job for what seems like ages... I love the store, I do, but it's a long commute for cruddy wages, and I need better. I handed my resume to three departments on campus (going back to college for a second BA), and one, the one I REEEEEAAAAALLLLLLLYYYY want, called and wants me in for an interview on Friday.

SQUUUUEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! WANT!!!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just thankful for kind people.

This world is rapidly becoming more negative, so when I do see someone showing some kindness I feel the overwhelming urge to tell them thank you.

Now if we could get more ppl to follow, that would make it even better.

RAOK, they are good for your soul.
(Random acts of kindness)

ashpie21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My positive things for today are when my kitten woke up from her nap on my chest, she licked me as to say "Oh hey, good afternoon!" Then I had a really good day at babysitting, got the little girl to take a nap (yes!) and I am just over all really happy

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm positively beaming about Shel and Chumley.
Shel has had some issues with Chum, and I think the animal communicator really helped!
They both slept next to each other last night - curled into me. AND Chumley started to knead little baby kneads when we pet him.

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great thread! I do something similar with a friend of mine in email every day.

Ok well todays positive - Kismet! This little man chose me and I am glad he did. He has been with me one week and it feels like forever. He is the sunshine in my day.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JustJayde

What a great thread! I do something similar with a friend of mine in email every day.

Ok well todays positive - Kismet! This little man chose me and I am glad he did. He has been with me one week and it feels like forever. He is the sunshine in my day.
I have a Kismet too, only we mainly call him Kizzy.

I'm thankful my pain levels are down a notch today.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started my new job yesterday, and I get my own desk (after working four years in retail), and we get to soup up my computer with whatever software I may need for the web design aspect of my job. I also finally asked (because I think it's uncouth to ask in the interview) what my pay is. He couldn't remember exactly, but is fairly sure it's $10/hour. I'm only gettin $8.65/hour right now... so, closer commute and better pay! WHEEEEEE!!!!!! Not a huge amount of hours, but I can build on it... it's totally cool....

Amanda

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I also finally asked (because I think it's uncouth to ask in the interview) what my pay is. He couldn't remember exactly, but is fairly sure it's $10/hour.
It's not uncouth in a job interview to ask what the pay is. Why take a job if you don't know what it's paying?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I started my new job yesterday, and I get my own desk (after working four years in retail), and we get to soup up my computer with whatever software I may need for the web design aspect of my job. I also finally asked (because I think it's uncouth to ask in the interview) what my pay is. He couldn't remember exactly, but is fairly sure it's $10/hour. I'm only gettin $8.65/hour right now... so, closer commute and better pay! WHEEEEEE!!!!!! Not a huge amount of hours, but I can build on it... it's totally cool....

Amanda
Amanda, Primula's right - it's normal to know what you're going to be paid for your work!

But that aside....

[size=+2]CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!![/size] I'm SO excited for you!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

It's not uncouth in a job interview to ask what the pay is. Why take a job if you don't know what it's paying?
That's how I was brought up... it's considered rude. Now, if they had a 'starting range' posted somewhere or they brought it up, maybe asking me what pay range I'd prefer, then yes, I'd say what I would prefer, and then ask what they're thinking of as a starting range. If I were going for some fancy full time gig and expected a particular range, then yes, I'd probably mention something. But this is a student job. I'm getting out of a 'barely above minimum wage' job. I'm freaking ecstatic to have a much shorter commute, the fact that it pays better per hour is icing on the cake...

Maybe standards have changed, but every job counselor I went to, every advisor I talked to, always said to never bring up the subject of pay in an interview. Market yourself in the interview, if they call back and offer, then discuss pay. Sell the fact that you want that job, sell your skills, don't look like you're just 'looking for a paycheck' ...

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sell the fact that you want that job, sell your skills, don't look like you're just 'looking for a paycheck' ...
I never heard of such a thing. Why would you want a job, if not for the paycheck? I worked mostly in New York City and I defy anyone to say this advice would work there. Employers would think the applicant was nuts!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

I never heard of such a thing. Why would you want a job, if not for the paycheck? I worked mostly in New York City and I defy anyone to say this advice would work there. Employers would think the applicant was nuts!
Okay, so maybe it's different back East. That's just how I was 'trained' in interview skills...

I did a search... here's one piece from this site:

<<When to Discuss Salary

In any interview, there are a few topics that candidates can expect to cover. From questions surrounding job experience to thoughts about company policy, there are many opportunities for an applicant to shine or to fall flat. One of the biggest mistakes a person could make is to start off an interview asking about salary.

One of the many things that could cause a resume to be rejected is an feeling by the recruiter that the candidate is consumed with money. There are exceptions to that rule, however. For positions where an ambitious nature is needed for success, an interviewer might overlook this move, but don't chance it.>>

Here's another:

<<Employers make judgments about you based on the questions you ask. Have you done your research on the organization? (If yes, good.) Are you asking rather dull questions that you could find in a web search, but about which you have no interest? (Not good.) Are you asking about salary? (Bad sign.) Are your questions intelligent and thoughtful and cordial? (Very good.)>>

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really good point! I guess you just didn't ask when they offered you the job.

Again - I'm really busting for you! I know how much you've wanted to be closer - and like you say, you're getting paid more!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay, so maybe it's different back East. That's just how I was 'trained' in interview skills...
Whatever works for you is fine, I'm just putting in my two cents.

I am glad about your job.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend and I were discussing why this thread was different from the "Let's be happy" thread and I figured this:

This post is not nessecarily about being happy. It is about being positive, or finding the positives even when you are not happy.

95% of the time I am not happy. That's the joys of chronic depression, and I'm ok with that. It makes me value when I am happy, all that much more.

I can pull positives from my life, when I am in a downslide, and that is what keeps me going.

A good friend wanted this thread ressurected, and I agree..... So here it is

Remember, thinking about the positives in your life is just that; and being greatful for them. It's what keeps us plugging along when the lights grow dim. It can help pull us out of a hole when we can barely see the top.

So what are YOU thankful for?

Status
Not open for further replies.