The Perpetual People Exercise Post

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to get back to doing cardio
I plan to go to the gym tomorrow. It won't be very nice, I will probably be struggling again. I don't understand why I don't go, it's like I absolutely love the feeling after I've just exercised, that enough should be incentive for me to go to the gym. But apparently the sacrifice of having to walk all the way there in the cold is too great for me

I wish I had a dog then I'd go jogging with it. I love dogs and taking walks with them, it is like I get to ponder what it's like to be a dog and how they see things lol..

Dave, I do yoga at home following videos and such, it is not very easy because I am probably not getting the breathing right

I am trying to find a class..
I've tried yoga on the wii fit too, but I just didnt' like the way it was scoring my balance lol..I'm not competitive like that, I don't like having a score for everything lol..

You don't have to be flexible, there are a lot of beginner positions which don't require much flexibility and it is amazing watching yourself get more and more flexible every day. Actually the first few poses on the wii fit don't require any flexibility, I don't think, they are more about keeping your balance. I know yoga is somehow not very popular with guys, my boyfriend won't even consider yoga, he says too much stretching can ruin his boy parts

seiko7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
went outside of the box

had fun...the dogs were SO FUN
we played with vigor!
I walked 5 kms -and had one hour of weights

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Slave driver!

Dave, I wish I was as disciplined as you are.

It is a fine line between disciplined and obsessed, I assure you.

I have been doing the same ol' same ol' rinse and repeat routines, but on Saturday I finally broke the 4.5 mile barrier for virtual jogging, going 4.58 miles in 30 minutes. WOO HOO! I am very happy that I finally hit that goal.

I am also going to make sure I ride the exercise bike once per week, and I am going to watch the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in 30 minute slices. That should take me through summer! LOL

As for today, I am taking the day off. Yep, no exercises. Apparently you need the occasional day off, so this will be one of mine.

Keep the faith folks, and keep moving. I am proud of you!

Dave

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well then, I truly need to become obsessed.

Congratulations on hitting your goal!
I am very impressed!

Just got back from my lunch walk...3 miles.

I got 4 miles in yesterday (3 at lunch, 1 last night on the treadmill) and did my normal exercise routine.

Enjoy your day off, Dave. (I never thought about watching LOTR in increments...that's a great idea.)

utOpia, get your butt back to the gym....you won't be sorry.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the gym yesterday and I am very sore now just from running. I am rarely sore from running usually it only happens after strength exercises..
Too bad I can't go again until Friday- it's mid term week so I have lots of tests this week.

seiko7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry i haven't posted.
I did NOTHING on Saturday(the first time in a year...since surgery), did half hour each on tread, ellipitcal recumb bike...then fifteen minutes of legs.
Did 10 km ellic. 22 on bike and 15 minutes legs.
did 45 min tread, 45 bike and 15 ab

seiko7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh I forgot..in case walking dogs counts...i did(at the animal shelter for an hour)

samantha79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use the Wii fit. It's a pretty good workout, and fits my busy schedule perfectly!

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Well then, I truly need to become obsessed.

Congratulations on hitting your goal!
I am very impressed!
Thanks, Winchester! I actually ran a 4.54 this morning, so I'll probably run a 2.9 next time.

seiko7, walking the dogs sure does count!

Samantha79, what exercises do you do on the Wii Fit? I spend most of my time on there on the Free Run.

Catch y'all later!

Dave

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, I have 10 miles in so far this week. Did my normal stuff last night, so I'm good! I'll walk today over lunch. It looks like it's going to be a lovely day.

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good work, Winchester!

What part in the world are you in? It looked the part here in northern Indiana yesterday, but it sure was cold! I'd say we are about two months away from lovely days.

Today was another jogging Wii Fit day, and I went 4.50 miles in 30 minutes.
Yesterday I did the ol' boring 120 pushups and 120 dumbbell combo routine, and I am staring down the barrel at the same thing tomorrow.

Fun fun!

Dave

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been super busy at work the past couple of weeks then I course I got a bit run down from doing to much.....
But I walked/ran my 3.3 miles Thursday. I'll go out tomorrow again. Its a pain in the country as I have to run/walk on parts of the shoulder of the road and its muddy!!
I did stop in yesterday at the running store where I bought my shoes and asked about a path that I could run at for the mileage. They said round trip can be 8 miles! But this path isn't plowed and was still snow covered. They warmer weather should take care if that in the next few days. I will have to change my clothes at work as this trail is about halfway home so I can park at a park - n - ride lot and start off! I'll maybe get a new schedule for lifting weights too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I only walked 15 miles last week. DH and I got 2 miles in yesterday as the weather was so lovely we wanted to get out for awhile.

I'm walking today over lunch and will do my normal routine tonight.

What can I do for abs? I have to be careful because of my lower back issues. I do 300 crunches of various kinds 3-4 times a week. I'm also on the Bowflex and do 100 crunches there 3 times a week. I'm not seeing much of an improvement.

My doctor told me not to worry about it, that a lot of it might be loose skin from when I was so heavy and then lost the weight. And DH says it doesn't look as bad as I think it does. I don't have love handles; it's located right in my belly. My belly poofs out and it's noticeable when I wear jeans....needless to say I don't tuck my shirts in! I'm 55, so short of surgery, what else can I do?

Sometimes I don't think I'm doing enough, but yet I don't want to over-do and possibly make my lower back worse.

seiko7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
do not know how old you are,or how much of a belly you have.Also can not , then figure out how hard you do your 200 plus curls.Sounds great on paper...in real life, would these be the crunches that you would teach to others..

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What can I do for abs? I have to be careful because of my lower back issues. I do 300 crunches of various kinds 3-4 times a week. I'm also on the Bowflex and do 100 crunches there 3 times a week. I'm not seeing much of an improvement.
Hi Winchester!

Abs are not one of my strengths (get it!?!
), but I know you can overtrain them, just like any other muscle group. I'd probably scale things back a little bit, and give yourself a day between serious ab sets, to give them some solid recovery time. Also, I'd see if your doc can recommend some specific exercises, given your lower back issues. If he can't help you with that, perhaps he can put you in touch with a personal trainer who can answer those questions. I am sorry I cannot be of more help, but I wish you continued success with your efforts.

As for me....

Man, this week at work has been absolutely nuts. ARGH! Thankfully, it is almost over...

Monday: Did some Wii Fit jogging for 30 minutes, going 4.48 virtual miles.
Tuesday: Boring 120 push ups and 120 various presses/curls/lunges/etc. routing
Wednesday: Rode the ol' exercise bike for 30 minutes, going 8.5 miles on the hardest setting. I am watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy while I ride, and I am now about halfway through the first movie. The gang (the Fellowship of the Ring) is finally together, so they can now start the trek to Mordor. YEAH BABY!
Thursday (today): Same boring routine as Tuesday.

I am interested to see what I'll be for tomorrow's weigh in. I had DQ for dinner a couple of nights ago and I swear I gained 5 pounds from that meal alone.

Have a fun day!

Dave

seiko7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SORRY,for being critical.(i think i have been)
I am all about being fit and I forget how hard it might be for those of you that are not into this lifestyle,
My fault for my attitude and I REALLY apologize.
I hope that i can find a way to inspire those that are interested
its an everyday part of everything in my life
if there is questions, complaints, statements....

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by seiko7

do not know how old you are,or how much of a belly you have.Also can not , then figure out how hard you do your 200 plus curls.Sounds great on paper...in real life, would these be the crunches that you would teach to others..
I'm 55 years old, about 5.4 inches, and I weigh 138 pounds....I don't mind telling people how much I weigh. I wear size 8 jeans. I'm not really heavy, but it seems as though all my weight is right "there". And it's frustrating.

(My family doctor and I are in an almost constant battle about my weight; she wants me to be around 130 and I think that, for my age, that's ridiculous. Actually she wanted me to be 125, I told her 135, and we "agreed" on 130. I have no health issues, other than high blood pressure, which is kept under control...last time I went in, it was 124/72. As long as I walk, I'm good to go. I am osteopaenic and I have four blown disks in my lower back. So I do have to be careful.)

My ab work consists of 100 regular crunches: on the floor with my knees up. Hand behind my head and I lift myself up. Yes, I would show anybody because I contract the stomach muscles very hard and I almost grunt with each one.

Then I do another 100, taking my right elbow to my left knee, left elbow to right knee, again exhaling to the point of grunting and contracting as hard as I can.

Then I cross one knee over the other, so the top leg is perpendicular to my body. I lift up, putting my right elbow over the left knee, 50 times. Then 50 times with my left elbow over the right knee.

In between doing those, I lay flat on the floor with my arms at my sides, palms flat on the mat. And I lift my legs and lower trunk, bringing my knees to my chest. Exhaling as forcefully as I can and contracting. I do those in 3 sets, 10 reps each. After that, I lay back, put my knees in the air, and grind my lower back into the mat for a count of 3.....that was part of my PT when I first hurt my back and I've continued to do that since. 3 sets of that, 10 reps each.

I do those pretty much every night. On the nights that I don't, I do go down to the Bowflex and do 150 crunches there, using 50 pound rods. The only way that I can do them is to cross the belts over my shoulders, hold them, and lean straight down, contracting and exhaling. Then I lean to the left, followed by leaning to the right.

So yes, it really amount of about 350 crunches of one kind of another. And I think they're good crunches.

Again, DH thinks I'm worrying needlessly; he also mentioned, Dave, that he thinks I might actually be overworking the ab area. I didn't think it was possible to do that! I've talked to my doctor who says that it's not fat and he does believe that. I was really heavy and losing a lot of weight means that this problem will occur. I'm not young either, so that exacerbates the whole thing.

I've been debating seeing a personal trainer for awhile now, but DH's job hasn't been all that great and I hate to add extra debt to the household. So I just keep doing what I'm doing. I figure that even if it's not a perfect routine, at least it's better than nothing.

Seiko, I try, I really do. But no, I don't think I'm as obsessed (and I truly do mean that in a good way...honest) as you and Dave are. I need to be; I know that.

Dave, you're amazing! (BTW, I love the LoTR. On their way to Mordor, eh?
) I hope you have a great weigh-in!

And now you guys know a heckuva lot about me!!!

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holy cats, get back to it people!
This is going to be long, so either kick back and relax or skip to the P.S.

I have still been working out and such, just haven't been documenting it quite as well here, since work and home has been nuts. Hopefully things are de-nutting, so I can play here a little more frequently.

Here are some recent posts I made to my fitness journal on the Fitness Forum I frequent.

Here is my post from Tuesday:
I wanted to mix things up a little bit, so instead of my boring 120 pushups and 120 lunges/curls/presses/etc workout every other day, I picked up Jillian Michael's (sp?) 30 Day Shred workout DVD. I grabbed it knowing nothing about it, other than it was cheap and it got solid reviews on Amazon.

I watched the level 1 workout on Saturday, just to know what I had to look forward to, and I thought it would be a walk in the park. BUT NO!

Now that I have been through the level 1 workout twice, I can say that I am decent when it comes to working out one muscle group at a time. When you mix in a bunch of different muscle group workouts and spin in cardio, strength, and ab work, I still have a long way to go.

I am sure some of you could handle the workout with no problems, but I still found myself needing to take some quick breaks to rest and also grab some water. I also need to grab some lighter dumbbells, as the 15 and 20 pounders I have are a little too much for me to slug around for the entire workout. I can do the 15s fine on the chest flies, but the other strength exercises lend themselves to lighter weights, at least given my current conditioning.

I am still running in front of the Wii Fit, too, and bought my first pair of Asics last week, so I'll be hitting the open road within a few weeks. After I get some sort of iPod, methinks. I need something to keep my mind off the constant "left right left right left right" that echoes around my head whilst I am jogging. LOL

And Wednesday:
I officially wrapped up the Fellowship of the Rings movie this morning whilst riding the bike 9.5 miles in 30 minutes on my most hated setting. I love how the movie ends in what feels like mid-sentence. LOL Next up, the Two Towers!

And today:
Did the ol' level one Shred yesterday, and did a little better, despite not really having the energy. Well that, and having a tiny hangover. Bad Dave, bad!

And this morning I ran in front of the ol' Wii Fit for 36 minutes, going for 4.52 miles in 30 minutes. I am always excited when I break the 4.5 barrier, so that was a happy surprise. Happy weekends all around!

Man, I am way too wordy today. Stay sweaty out there!

Dave

P.S. On an unrelated note, I made some amazing mojitos last Saturday. If you are ever in the neighborhood, drop by and have a cocktail or three with me!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

Weird part - I've actually gained about 4 lbs since starting kettle bells, but I've almost lost another pants size. DH is telling me it's muscle tone and muscle weights more than fat, but 4lbs? Does that seem odd to anyone?
it's how you look that matters, okay!? Just kidding