The Perpetual People Exercise Post

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s hard, really hard to lose weight. But youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re on the right track. And if you need somebody to commiserate with, or whine and grumble with, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m around. Throw me a PM. Or two. Or three.

Maybe we should start our own little weight-loss group, if it's not been done already.

Now, my apologies for such a long post and for hijacking the thread. But I thought you might like to know a little about me and what Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been through. Certainly nothing as bad as you have and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m truly sorry about you needing surgery. That first step is a killer and you've already overcome that....so you're doing well!
Thank you so much for sharing. It does help to hear other peoples stories, and how they overcame their own personal difficulties. (I did try awhile back to do a weight loss thread, and it worked for a bit, maybe I should bump it up so that we can direct this type of conversation over there instead of here).

I can admit it now, that I have used my physical issues as an excuse, and I know where it got me

Now that I have some determination, I am finding ways to do exercises without killing myself in the process. Even on a bad day, I could do something as simple as climbing the stairs a couple extra time.

As I said to a friend, while I can't change the chronic pain/issues, I CAN change how I deal with them.

Yesterday I got on the Wii again, this time playing around with some games and my kids...

I exercised my arms/shoulders, as well as quads (doing some bowling for the quads) for about an hour.

I am feeling it today in my arms (but, its worse because of my 'issues' being flared up).

I am going to go down in a few minutes and do the Wii Fit beginner step exercise again and get 15mins tonight. I'll have to stay away from the arms for a couple days...... I figure the step 'class' is a good one to do.

I am amazed at the difference that the little bit of exercise I've done this week, has made with how I feel.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Winchester, that is really impressive! And you're so right about the best time to work out being when you don't want to. I dragged my carcass to the gym after work yesterday despite just wanting to go home and was so glad I did.

Chris, I'm glad you're feeling better - I've heard the wii fit is actually really good, so it's interesting to see so many people here talking about it.

As for me...well, I officially love Kettle Bell class.

I had another class tonight and it's really hard work, but such a rush! I'm going twice a week to class, but still trying to get in a trip a week to the gym. I plateaued my weight something fierce over the holidays so I'm really trying to get back on the band wagon.

Weird part - I've actually gained about 4 lbs since starting kettle bells, but I've almost lost another pants size. DH is telling me it's muscle tone and muscle weights more than fat, but 4lbs? Does that seem odd to anyone?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something was off in my workouts today and yesterday. So, starting out new this year, my first workout was a failure- only did 1.5 miles in 20 minutes, then the second one I did 2.3 miles in 30 minutes, then 2.5 in 30 minutes and finally after a few more workouts I was able to do 3 miles in 30 minutes, which I was really happy about and it was a substantial improvement (this was what I did throughout 2009) I did that once- after then I haven't been able to!! The past 3 times I only do 2.3 miles in 30 minutes (all of this at a 3% incline) I dunno what's wrong, my heart rate isn't any higher than it usually is but I feel like it is 10X higher, I am always out of breath, I sweat 10X more and I just feel like my fitness level declined so much over a day..This has been the past 2 times. The first time this happened, I thought i probably overworked myself, because each time I start my workout, it's always starting with a 5 minute warm up brisk walk- and that time I bumped up the incline to 6% for my warm up walk, by the time it was over I was tired and I was tired the whole time I was working out...
Ehhh I guess I'll keep doing what I can regardless....
One thing is my muscles have been really sore from yoga- maybe that's why I felt like I did when I couldn't breathe and sweat more. I guess that would make sense if I was avoiding the muscles that were sore while I was trying to run and overworking all the other muscles.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope this counts, in this thread....as it does seem to revolve around jogging/running/weights... but to me, exercise is exercise, in any form.

I got in 3hrs of walking yesterday.... Well, probally 2.5hrs once you subtract the driving between stores. It was errand day, and we went to 4 different stores (small town, only takes less than 5mins between stores). I was in a hurry so it was a mid brisk pace.

My legs are a little stiff, so I'll be looking at some stretches to do today.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did 55 minutes on treadmill and week 3 of the biggest loser dvd plus cool down.
Week three is pretty light duty so I'll probably add it to one of the other weeks.

Yesterday I did one of the firms workouts but something I do in those workouts bothers my back so I'm going to skip that dvd for the time being.

On the other hand I did eat rather badly yesterday and the scale reflected this-grrrr.....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You guys rock! Awesome posts!

Chalk me up for 21 miles last week; I walked 3 miles every day.

Didn't get my exercises done on Friday night because things got way too hectic around the house. But first thing Saturday morning, I dragged my lazy butt out of bed, did some stretching, and started in. Got everything done. I'm good to go for another week starting tonight.

I may have to hit the dreadmill, too, tonight, as this rain shows no signs of letting up today. On the dreadmill, I normally walk on a 4.5 incline at about 4 to 4.3 miles per hour; that gives me around a 15-minute mile (which I thought was pretty good until I read Utopia's post!!). My treadmill has several "courses" on which to walk and run, but I've not yet used them.

Hey, Chris, you're doing great with your walking! Even walking while shopping counts as exercise, esp if you're walking at a good pace. Utopia, 3 miles in 30 minutes? Wow!

Ms. Freya, I've heard that gaining weight is not unusual, especially when using weights because you're actually gaining muscle. And muscles weigh more than fat, right? (Is that correct?)

Hang in there, guys!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, muscle weighs more than fat, so I wouldn't be alarmed.

Yesterday I did my 120 curls and 100 pushups, ramping up the difficulty level on them both.

This morning I ran in front of the ol' Wii Fit for 30 minutes, going 4.28 virtual miles during that time. I am very interested to actually start jogging outside, to see how that compares to what I have been doing. I'll bet it is going to kick my butt!
I have always hated jogging, so it is very weird for me to be looking forward to it.

Keep at it, folks! I am proud of you all.

Dave

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Dave, do you like your Wii Fit? We've been thinking about getting one.

I did get my 3 miles in on Monday and again on Tuesday. I had to zigzag around my streets here, though, because we were flooded from all the rain and many of the streets were closed. The water was so deep I couldn't walk through it; believe me, I thought about it.

Did all my exercises on Monday night, then Tuesday night was an off-night that I spent working on homework. I'll be working out again tonight and hope to get my walk in today over lunch.

I added 2-1/2 pounds to my dumbbells on Monday night. My DH told me that since I had added weight to the bells that I could cut back and only do 10-12 reps instead of the normal 15. Hopefully tonight I'll get back to 15. But, if not, it's OK.

Keep at it, guys!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walked on the treadmill and did weights for the past several days. I use 3.0 incline at 3.7 which I can do about 3.25 miles to include warmup and cool down in about 52 minutes.

I "won" round 1 of our biggest loser contest at work and will put that $$ towards a new pair of shoes. They still look good but I know that they have a fair amount of miles on them. Might look at getting 8 pound dumbells too as fiv pounds are getting a bit easy!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought I would join in.

I have been working out with the help of a workout DVD - "30 Day Shred" with Jillian Michaels. It's a nasty 20 minute workout (3 different levels) and it is intense!!!!!!!!! I've only been doing it a few days and my muscles are loving it - just that nice not too sore, but worked out feeling you get when your muscles get finally used after being a coach potato for a couple years.

Hoping to keep up with this for the next few months, then once it gets warm again, start jogging again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Dave, do you like your Wii Fit? We've been thinking about getting one.
Hello Winchester!

I personally like my Wii Fit, but a lot of people find it too bland. Those same people supposedly love it when you add in the Wii Fit Plus upgrade (which now may be the only option available to buy...not sure.) Since I have the standard Wii Fit, I'll soon be dropping the $20 to upgrade, for the ability to create custom workouts to mix things up a little bit.

Killerapple, thanks for the quick review on the 30 Day Shred. I picked that up from Amazon a week ago, but I haven't tried it yet. I need to preview it at some point, so I know what I am getting into before I dive in. It sounds like I may need to track down a workout mat, too.

Workout-wise, I'll be doing my 120 curls, 100 push ups, and some planks/crunches throughout the day. Tomorrow will be a day off or 30 minutes of jogging. Probably the latter, so I can continue building up stamina for when the weather turns.

Good work everyone!

Dave

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again

I need some tips on what to eat/when to eat on days of working out. I never seem to find the right way to eat on days I'm working out. I was lightheaded earlier this week, I know it's from eating too little, I ate around 1300 calories, I guess that's not enough for someone who is 21 and 5 feet 7 inches... I always get lightheaded if I don't eat enough, and usually it's only in the morning when I wake up I can't balance for a minute or so, throughout the day I'm fine but I feel really weak in my muscles..so that limits my ability to exercise..

The next day I ate too much and that wasn't great either, like today I got on the scale and I'm 2 pounds heavier. I hate it when my weight moves up and down like this. I'm a little discouraged because of all this, I decided to start working out on Monday and to skip today and Friday...Hopefully my eating will be less all over the place then since I'll have the weekend to put things back in order...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you are eating some protein for breakfast like and egg or peanut butter on whole wheat toast. Or even some of the pre cut deli lunch meat that come sliced extra thin. That should give you some staying power!

I treated myself today to a new pair of running shoes. There is a local store that -well lets say I was there over 90 minutes! They measure your feet, I brought in my current shoes, they make you walk barefoot. They then have you try on shoes that fit your walking/running style. They have a treadmill for practice. They also have orthotics to help correct your foot position in your shoes. $150 later.....I walked out the store!
They also-for the ladies; sell some very nice sport bras-that will be my reward for the next ten pounds of weight lost!

So I'll be trying the new shoes tomorrow.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Make sure you are eating some protein for breakfast like and egg or peanut butter on whole wheat toast. Or even some of the pre cut deli lunch meat that come sliced extra thin. That should give you some staying power!
Oh lol, I've been eating those luna sunrise bars for breakfast which is loaded with carbs and doesn't have enough protein...I will get some peanut butter on toast, I love PB

Those shoes sound like an amazing treat btw!! Way to go for treating yourself to something healthy. I think a big mistake people make is try to say to themselves "If I follow my work out routine, I'll eat a cookie" or something..

I actually did work out even though I planned on taking a break. All of a sudden I started to worry that if I take a break I'll have to go back to square one where I pant and sweat and can't run for $h..t

So I went to the gym twice yesterday and today and I did 3 miles running each time.

One thing I am absolutely loving is yoga. I think it just makes me feel comfortable with my body, comfortable in my own skin and just so much more energetic, I don't slouch as much when I'm sitting down and I walk with a much straighter back. With each passing day I feel like I am mastering the poses, just from one day to the next I can stretch further and seeing progress is the one thing that motivates me the most. It's just such a beautiful feeling, I had to rave about it lol...

seiko7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi
I turned 48 today , on the anniversary of my last surgery.I will be going in again in the next month for more.
I have been working out for over two decades.5 or more times a week.
If you feel that I can help...in any way
I will

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Happy 48th Seiko.

It was not a good last few days. Because we were out and about so much, I didn't get any kind of formal exercise in at all. But we walked and I mean we really, really walked. That should count for something. Unfortunately, we also ate (I had dinner out both Friday and Saturday, which is unusual), so I gained about 4 pounds since Thursday morning.

Back on track today.

I did manage to walk 72.5 miles in January. Not too bad, but always room for improvement.

Gail, congratulations on your new shoes....do you like them? I've been looking at Reebok's Easy Tones. But according to reviews, people either like them or hate them; there's no happy medium.

Everybody is doing great!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I actually "ran" a bit during my Sat and today's treadmill workout.
The shoes have the new Superfeet insoles (the green ones)(www.superfeet.com)
Those plus the stronger the overlay material is esp by my toes well I've noticed a corection already in the way my feet hit the treadmill. The store suggested just wearing the new insoles a couple hours a day to build up tolerance to the way ones foot is held in the shoe. I do actually notice it esp on my right foot which has the big toe with very limited flexibility as I must now be pushing off on it instead of the usual lifting the foot up and down.

The shoes are Saucony Progrid Ride 2. I went up 1/2 size from what I was wearing just last week!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've been trying to fight in exercise anywhere I can.

I got 3hrs of errand running this weekend (walking, getting in and out of my truck, parking far away to walk to stores) but what I've been doing is getting in the habit of doing some squats, or other leg exercises before sitting down...

Meaning: if I'm coming to the computer, I will do at least 10 squats before my bum hits the chair to stay...
- I will eat breakie and lunch standing while doing leg exercises
- I will make an extra trip up the stairs.

I'm having problems getting a "routine"... My main issue being that I can't schedule a "workout" because my health varies from hour to hour. So I have to exercise when I can, which is not on a schedule...

but I'd like to get something going, a routine rather than doing this and that.... (not a schedule...but an exercise routine...ex. 10mins jogging, this yoga pose, this game, this, etc...)

Now here's my problem: as of next Tues (9th) I will be more limited than I am now..... Most exercises I will NOT be able to do...even jogging in spot.

I'm thinking that next week is a wash as far as exercise goes.... but I am bound to make the best of this week.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Chris, I'm not sure why you're going to be laid up for awhile; are you undergoing surgery on Tuesday? If so, I'll send some feel better soon vibes your way so that you can be back to walking soon. But take your time...only you will know when you'll feel up to doing something.

Gail, I like the description of your shoes and especially those insoles. They sound very nice and comfortable.

ut0pia, I cannot offer any tips on what to eat or when. I'm the world's worst eater and I know I don't eat enough protein, particularly on exercise days.

Yesterday I was able to get in four miles of walking, three miles at work and another mile on the treadmill last night. I also got my normal exercise routines done and was able to include some extra ab crunches. (Our tortie, Ms. Pepe, decided that she wanted to "help" me with my crunches. She crawled up on my stomach while I was lying on the mat. Trying to crunch with a 13-pound cat lying on you is exercise indeed! She wouldn't move either.)