The Official Workout Support Thread

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Funny how moments like that really change our perspectives on things huh?

You got that right!

I went to Cuves yesterday and did my thing. Then I did my abs. That's 3 times so far this week that I've done the ab workout (I also plan on doing it today and tomorrow for a total of 5 ab workouts this week! Woohoo!)
Going to Curves this afternoon today. It's my fave way to kick off the weekend and BOY does it feel good to be back in the swing of things!

I plan on going after work today too. I'm holding off on the abs though. Every time I do crunches or anything of the sort lately, I get a pain from my back down through my left leg.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Every time I do crunches or anything of the sort lately, I get a pain from my back down through my left leg.
Hmmmm.....where's Katherine when we need her??

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You got that right!

I plan on going after work today too. I'm holding off on the abs though. Every time I do crunches or anything of the sort lately, I get a pain from my back down through my left leg.
I'm here Amy!

I have a couple ideas of what could be causing that pain, but I would first like to say that the best thing is always to check with a doctor if the pain persists. With that out of the way, I'd focus on form to see if that's your culprit. Unfortunately I can't watch you do the crunches so I can't tell you exactly what is happening, but usually when people have pain from doing abs (that isn't a medical issue) it's because their form is off. Believe me, it's REALLY easy to not be doing abs completely perfect. If you would like to check and see how your form is, here is what I would suggest you do: First of all, get in your crunch position. Now, from here, take your hand and place it on your abs. At this point you're going to flex your abs as hard as you can and push your back completely flat to the floor. If you can not hold this position (back totally flat on the floor and abs flexed even when you're not crunching) you'll want to practice it until you can. If your back is not doing its part, it can easily cause pain. Also, if you don't have this basic part down your abs will be too loose and you can actually end up developing your abs in an outward shape, which is no good! Practice doing some very slow crunches to make sure that you have this part correct. Never let those abs relax, they should always be 100% flexed. Sometimes, though not as often, breathing can have something to do with discomfort while doing abs. Once you've made sure you have the most important aspects of ab work down (flat back, flexed abs), practice proper breathing. Proper breathing in ab work is exhaling as you crunch up and inhaling as you come back down. If your breathing is off of this pattern or too shallow it's likely to screw with your proper body alignment. If you have your breathing pattern down it will help with keeping the correct posture. The last thing I would make sure of, once you've made sure all the rest of that stuff is 100% correct, is that your legs are in a good position. Rarely a person will complain of pain because they've got their legs bent too much. Make sure you're not tucking your legs up too high. Let it be a relaxed bend, where your legs create a large arch, not a small one.

If you find that you're doing all of these things perfectly, or it is not what is causing your pain, I would say go to a doctor or chiropractor at least to find out what is causing your problem.

Sorry I rambled for so long, but you wouldn't believe the problems people have with ab work so I'm used to going over the position in great detail. It's actually the problem I get asked about the most after my classes.

Anyway, I hope that it stops hurting you and that you're able to continue your ab work!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow it sounds like everyone's doing really well with their workouts! Amy, it certainly is nice to find a comfortable pattern with working out, don't you think? I feel that it makes it so much easier that way.

Today I'll be teaching abs, buns, and thighs at 12:30 (my least favorite class to teach) and then I plan on taking a spin class at 5:30. It will be my first spin class of the semester and I'm really excited about it. Now that things have settled in and I have a good feel of my weekly schedule and patterns I plan on getting back to my 2-3 spins a week!

Keep up the great work everyone!

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since I'm trying to lose weight I guess I'm in

I dont do any serious workout really I just go for a long walk everynight at 7 (my dad teases me because he always makes the comment "Going to see him again huh?"
) And I'm starting to try out Slim Fast since usually in the morning when I have something to drink I'm fine until lunch. And sometimes even the same for lunch..have something to drink then I'm fine until dinner. The hardest part for me is that..I'm a sucker for sweets!!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katherine, I think I'm doing things correctly, but I will check when I get home. I can get away with checking into TCS at work, but they'll probably draw the line at me lying on the floor.

I'm thinking its the sciatic nerve though (no idea how to spell that).
The pain is not intense and doesn't happen while I'm exercising, but is noticable later.

I appreciate all your help!

Lil_Axl_Gurl, walking is wonderful exercise, especially if you walk fast. Please be sure to carry pepper spray or some kind of protection, especially if you walk alone.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Katherine, I think I'm doing things correctly, but I will check when I get home. I can get away with checking into TCS at work, but they'll probably draw the line at me lying on the floor.

I'm thinking its the sciatic nerve though (no idea how to spell that).
The pain is not intense and doesn't happen while I'm exercising, but is noticable later.

I appreciate all your help!
Awwwww c'mon Renee! Just get down on the floor and start busting some crunches out! I'm sure no one at work would find that the least bit strange!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katspixiedust

Awwwww c'mon Renee! Just get down on the floor and start busting some crunches out! I'm sure no one at work would find that the least bit strange!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl

The hardest part for me is that..I'm a sucker for sweets!!
Me too, and that IS tough. Have you tried substituting candy for fruits such as blueberries and strawberries? They taste so good, you'd forget you're eating healthy

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the park today, I did some running and walking for 45 minutes. When I got home I did cardio cruiser for 1 hour. I'm going to do my abs later on tonight.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's everyone doing with their workouts this week?

I went to Curves & did my abs on Monday and I was going to yesterday, but then all that stuff with Eppie's UTI came up yesterday, so I missed out. But I already have my gym clothes on and am ready to go work out once 4pm finally gets here!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*cough cough* Is this thing on?

Come on y'all, let's bring the Workout Support Thread back to its glory days!!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today Brendan and I are going to be taking a 5:30pm spin class, and tomorrow I have to teach my usual Abs, buns, and thighs at 12:30 and then I plan on spinning at 4 again!

Have you been able to get back into your routine Amy? I hope Epie's feeling better!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so cool that you and Brendan work out together!
I so wish I could attend one of your abs, buns, thighs class- those are my target areas. I always do abs and thighs when I get home from Curves, though, and have seen some good results

Yup, I am officially back in the workout flow. I bring my workout clothes to work and put 'em on about half an hour before leaving work. The second I put them on, I cannot wait to get to the gym. It's a big motivator!

And Eppie is doing great now, thanks
Though getting her to take her pill last night was quite a feat!

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be so exciting if you were able to take my class! If you're ever in Orlando on a Friday (or Sat/Mon/Wed and would be willing to take a diff class format) you'll have to let me know! I'll have to snag you away from your vacation or whatever you're doing here and occupy your time in my class for a bit! I really love having people I know attend.

I'm so glad to hear she's feeling better! The poor honey is probably relieved to have that over with. I hope your hands are intact after your pill incident last night!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG my arms and chest hurt SOOOOOOO BAD! LOL.I did upper body yesterday and it kills! I'm so glad I only do it once a week! lol. I am noticing that I'm losing wieght. My neck is smaller, my wrists are smaller, as are my feet and ankles... so weird.

I'm also noticing that my thighs are smaller, and my upper arms (2 places I hate!!!!!! with a passion.) my rib cage is smaller.(my bras are getting comfy rather than tight!)

I'm walking faster on the treadmill, too!

I wish I were getting more effect on my waist, but i'll take less flabby arms and legs any day of the week.

14 lbs

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

OMG my arms and chest hurt SOOOOOOO BAD! LOL.I did upper body yesterday and it kills! I'm so glad I only do it once a week! lol. I am noticing that I'm losing wieght. My neck is smaller, my wrists are smaller, as are my feet and ankles... so weird.

I'm also noticing that my thighs are smaller, and my upper arms (2 places I hate!!!!!! with a passion.) my rib cage is smaller.(my bras are getting comfy rather than tight!)

I'm walking faster on the treadmill, too!

I wish I were getting more effect on my waist, but i'll take less flabby arms and legs any day of the week.

14 lbs
Good for you!!! Keep it up!!!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way to go Denise!
That's excellent!

I posted this ab workout a while back (it's the one I do 4-5 times/week) and I can vouch that it definitely gets great results!

If done properly and consistently, you may see results from these exercises within 6 weeks.
Do this routine at least 3 times per week. If it says to go slowly or pause, do so! That makes the workout more effective!!!
Toe Touch: Lie back, arms and legs extended up, feet flexed. Lift shoulder blades off floor and reach toward toes; pause; lower. Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Crossover: Lie back, knees bent, and place left arm across belly and right hand behind head; rest left ankle on right knee. Cross right shoulder toward left knee; pause; lower. Do 2 sets of 10 reps. Switch sides, repeat.
Hip Up: Lie back with arms by sides, legs extended straight up. Pull belly button toward spine and lift hips off floor a few inches; pause; lower. Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Butterfly Crunch: Lie back with the soles of your feet together, fingertips behind head. Lift shoulder blades off floor; pause; lower. Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Reverse Crunch: Lie back, arms by sides, palms down. Bend knees and lift thighs perpendicular to floor. Contract belly muscles and slowly curl knees toward chest; pause; slowly lower. Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Swimming: Lie facedown with arms and legs extended. Slowly lift right arm and left leg off floor; pause; lower and repeat on opposite side. Do 10 times per side.
Catch: Lie back, knees bent, feet flat on floor; position hands over lower abs as if youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re holding a ball. Lift shoulder blades off floor and reach hands to the outside of the left knee; pause; lower and repeat, reaching to the outside of right knee. Do 2 sets of 10 reps per side.
Plank: Lie on stomach with elbows bend, forearms resting on floor, hands in fists. Tuck toes under and lift body so itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s in a straight line; hold for 30 seconds; lower. Do twice.
Bicycle: Lie back, knees bent, fingers laced behind head. Lift shoulder blades off floor and twist right shoulder toward left knee as you extend right leg out as shown; pause; now twist to other side. Do 2 sets of 15 reps per side.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, wtg Denise!

I've been working out a lot lately, on Sunday I went to the Dolphins game, so I pig out.
I'm doing the usual, cario & abs. On tuesday I went to my brother's house and used the bowflex, my arms & chest hurt right now.

Thanks Amy for the ab workout, I'm going to use it next week when I go on Vacation.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo thansk for that Amy, I will certainly start that, but I don't think that's something to do at work, lol!

however, today was legs! and i feel great:

leg press 3 sets of 16 reps at 140 lbs
leg curl 3 sets of 20 reps at 60 lbs
leg extension(which REALLY IS HARD!!!!) 3 sets of 20 reps at 35 lbs

but I don't like the leg press machine we have at the gym- it's the kind that you strct out and hold the weight with shoulder rests, not the type that you push against your ack with. this type you're limited by how much your shoulders can stand, and that's about 240 lbs for me when I do max lifts. though I think I have to do max lifts again this weekend some time, because i've been doing toning, and don't know if my max lift has gone up now

I just can't do aerobics. i really can't. I think it's a point of pride. I always thought that the dronish way that everyone looks doing aerobics, descernable only by what color leotard they are wearing. And it's a sore point that my coordination is roughly equivalent to a sloth trying to tapdance. So aerobics only ever make me feel worse.