The Official Workout Support Thread

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

Well, here I am!
I am going to start posting to this thread! Zack and I started jogging Monday night. We go about a mile round trip, but I tell you, I have to jog, walk, jog, walk. It about kills me, but it got better last night. Not only that, I go jogging with a co-worker and we started that yesterday. My muscles in my legs are going crazy right now. 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. Wearing heels today isn't helping either
So, my question is...how should I relieve some of the pain? I don't want to stop jogging now.

The fun part was running through a couple of neighbors sprinklers...that really helped keep us going. Might I add...ugh....it still felt about 90 degress outside at 8:30pm
Welcome Candie!

As far as relieving the pain, there's a few things you can do. A good idea when you first get back from your jog is to do a hot/cold cycle on whatever muscles you find bother you the most. You can do it with an actual pack, or if you don't have one of those, hop in a hot bath or shower and soak for a while, then once you get out put some ice in a freezer bag and hold it there for 15 minutes. Another thing you should make sure you do is stretch every night before you go to sleep. After all that working out the blood will be moving differently through your legs and you'll want to give them a good stretch so they don't fall asleep at night and will be less likely to be sore the next day. You NEED to hold each stretch for at LEAST 8 full seconds though. Anything less than that is moving your muscle like a rubber band, not actually stretching it out. Other than that you can always use icy hot, which I can tell you from experience works wonders, or get Zach to give you a leg massage!
Absolutely stretch though!

Hope that helps!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just continuing the gardening stuff (only 2 hrs last nite though) I bet if I ate what I was eating say in April I would be losing weight. Right know I'm eating lots and having a beer/hard lemonade daily and maintaining the weight for the past couple of months.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have really been wanting to get back into the routine of walking and/ or jogging for awhile now. I think about it, but never do it. What an excellent idea for motivation you guys have! It's been about 6 months since I did either but I have a few questions. I plan to go about 1 and 1/2 to 2 miles every evening. But I am going to have a very tough time getting in shape to run again. Whenever I start out I get awful cramps in my left side. Is that normal? Would it be better to begin walking and then slowly build up to jogging over a few weeks or so? Also is it ok to run, then walk a bit, run, walk if you can't manage to run the whole distance? We also have a pool now so I can swim as well. It's hard to swim laps though because it isn't extremely long.

I am going to do my best to go for a walk tonight once I get home.

Edited to add: See it's all ready starting! The excuses! As soon as I hit submit to my thread I started thinking I am not going to have time to walk, I have to cook and clean etc.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I have really been wanting to get back into the routine of walking and/ or jogging for awhile now. I think about it, but never do it. What an excellent idea for motivation you guys have! It's been about 6 months since I did either but I have a few questions. I plan to go about 1 and 1/2 to 2 miles every evening. But I am going to have a very tough time getting in shape to run again. Whenever I start out I get awful cramps in my left side. Is that normal? Would it be better to begin walking and then slowly build up to jogging over a few weeks or so? Also is it ok to run, then walk a bit, run, walk if you can't manage to run the whole distance? We also have a pool now so I can swim as well. It's hard to swim laps though because it isn't extremely long.

I am going to do my best to go for a walk tonight once I get home.

Edited to add: See it's all ready starting! The excuses! As soon as I hit submit to my thread I started thinking I am not going to have time to walk, I have to cook and clean etc.
It's actually a very good idea to run, walk, run, walk, etc etc etc. Working your heart this way tends to get it in better shape and help you lose more calories than straight jogging. The reason for that is that you're making your body work harder. If you run for a few minutes, managing to get your heart rate at its capacity (say all of the way up to 170bpm), then slow it down to a walk for a few minutes, getting it back down around 130bpm, before bringing it all of the way back up again you're forcing it to work much harder than if you consistantly jog at a steady pace. Jogging at a steady pace is great for your heart, obviously, but it's not pushing it like intervals of running and walking does. When you jog it remains at a certain rate most of the time. So DEFINITELY do intervals. They're wonderful and the very theory behind things like spinning, many forms of step, and a lot of the aerobic programs cardio machines offer.

Getting a cramp is perfectly normal. For a lot of people cramps form because of the way they're breathing. It's difficult to get into a proper breathing method, but managing it absolutely helps to keep cramps away. Try googling "breathing techniques for jogging" and see what comes up. The most important thing is that they're full breaths and not shallow.

I hope that helps somewhat! Welcome to the thread and I wish you luck!!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is sort of dead but i think ishould bring it back up.
Just came home from a 30 min walk, im glad to feel my butt bubbling.
Its so warm my face is all red and sweaty now

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way to go fwan! And you're right, this thread needed a little kickstart.

I've still been in my usual routine, teaching and taking spin classes. I really enjoy the regular routine an exercise schedule provides (especially since I get paid for a good chunk of it
)!

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went jogging on Wednesday with a friend of mine. My new thing now is DDR!
Everytime I used to go to the shore I would make fun of the people who play it. But my friend has a game pad and got me playing it. It's so addicting!!!!!! I ordered a game pad myself the other night. It has a workout mode to show you how many calories you burn on each song.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone up for reviving this thread with me?
I'm finally going back to Curves today (after an almost 3-month hiatus
) and I'm so excited about it!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about this thread a few days ago!! I'm proud to say that I haven't stopped doing yoga since my last post. I seriously do need to start a walking program though. I keep saying to myself that I'm going to start, but I have yet to do it.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Anyone up for reviving this thread with me?
I'm finally going back to Curves today (after an almost 3-month hiatus
) and I'm so excited about it!
Amy! This is so bizzare. I'm planning on going back tonight too!!! I haven't been for a month.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread!!! I am excited I would love to be involved!!! I just got a tredmill this weekend... I am looking to get back into shape!!! I walked a mile this morning

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whee!! Amy I've been on weight watchers and been doing weight training for about 2 weeks, and have wanted that extra bit of support! I've lost 8-10 lbs already! (depending on the scale, of course)

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

I just found this thread!!! I am excited I would love to be involved!!! I just got a tredmill this weekend... I am looking to get back into shape!!! I walked a mile this morning
I would love to have a treadmill. Can I come over and use it?

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Renee, what can I say? Great minds think alike

Denise- way to go with the weight loss!

Glad to see so many people replying today. I smell a powerful rebirth here!

I went back to Curves today and BOY was it a workout! But I got a pleasant surprise- our Curves moved into a MUCH larger building and it looks fab!
Definitely helps with the motivation!
While I was still on my workout high, I came home and did my ab workout as well. Now I think I've earned a long, hot bath. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to restart VERY SOON due to Vegas trip on October 11th. I've gained a few pounds over the summer!!! (darm those post weeding beers!!)

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad this thread is here. I just started teaching again now that the summer has ended and man am I tired! It is soooo tough to get myself to the gym after school ends (which is why I'm home right now instead of there). I'm trying to decide on what days to go so that I get a routine established but on a scale of one to ten my motivation right now is negative twenty. I keep telling myself I will start going to the gym next week and get into a regular routine, but we'll see....Help me get my behind to that gym!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I have to restart VERY SOON due to Vegas trip on October 11th. I've gained a few pounds over the summer!!! (darm those post weeding beers!!)
Beers'll get ya every time!!

MusicTeacher, welcome
. I always seem to arrive at Curves when all of the local teachers do (around 4pm) and they all agree that a workout is a great way to de-stress after a long day of teaching. Hopefully you'll agree

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I join too, I've been working out for three months now. I'm also eating healthy, but I just started drinking beer again. Sorry, I can't help it, it's college football season.
I have the cardio cruiser, and I use it everyday for 1 hour. I also have the Ab scissors, and I use it for 30 minutes a day.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will someone send me a trendmill? its my birthday today pwetty pwease??

oh yes.. my stepper broke after i came back from my holiday..

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

will someone send me a trendmill? its my birthday today pwetty pwease??

oh yes.. my stepper broke after i came back from my holiday..
Aw, Fwan - Is it under warranty?