The Official Workout Support Thread

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

I just can't do aerobics. i really can't. I think it's a point of pride. I always thought that the dronish way that everyone looks doing aerobics, descernable only by what color leotard they are wearing. And it's a sore point that my coordination is roughly equivalent to a sloth trying to tapdance. So aerobics only ever make me feel worse.
Aerobics isn't just hi/low classes or step classes, aerobics covers anything that raises your heartrate. I don't know how much variety your gym offers, but I promise at ours no one wears leotards, and there are so many varieties or aerobic type classes that there's something for everyone (even those with sloth-like coordination
). We have spinning, cardio kickboxing, step (beginning through insane), one-on-one training (which is a class format with a more personalized feel), cardio hip-hop, and knockout club. If you feel uncomfortable in the classes, that's fine, but just make sure you're getting enough cardio in your workout! I personally can't stand using the machines for cardio and have found that spinning is my favorite way to get that part of my workout completed. I never work harder than when I'm in those classes! For my weight/muscle endurance training, I teach 4.5 classes a week so I definitely don't go above and beyond that!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well thank you Katherine. when i say "gym" there's an on site gym at our apartments and it has aerobic workouts I think thursday nights, which are very "kathy smith" When I've got a bit less weight on me, i want to start learning kickboxing, but until then I walk for some cardio. the weight lifting gives me a good boost in HR too at the moment, but I'm not sure what that's worth.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

well thank you Katherine. when i say "gym" there's an on site gym at our apartments and it has aerobic workouts I think thursday nights, which are very "kathy smith" When I've got a bit less weight on me, i want to start learning kickboxing, but until then I walk for some cardio. the weight lifting gives me a good boost in HR too at the moment, but I'm not sure what that's worth.
Oh that MUST look funny! I don't blame you for not wanting to join in!! I wonder if the instructor got her certification 15 years ago or something and just hasn't kept up with the times? It sounds to me like you've been doing a great job so far and walking is definitely a wonderful workout. And raising heartrate with weight training is still a raise in heartrate, which is always great for your heart.
Keep up the good work!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to Curves once I get off work in about an hour. Afterwards, I'm rewarding myself by getting 4 lbs of live rock and.....*drumroll please*....a blood red fire shrimp for the aquarium! I'm so excited!

Ladies (and guys!) do NOT feel bad about rewarding yourself in any way you can for working out. It's a great motivation

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woot! I did a leg workout and it's killing but it's soooo worth it
I feel good, and I'm going to up my leg press weight on Friday!

In other news, there's a "wellness center" in our area that lets you work out at their facilities, use the pool, and the hot tub, for $8 per visit, which well.. I like the idea of it better than belonging to a gym, because I only will pay for it when I'm using it. Hopefully they have a better leg press machine though so I can get it done properly. but also they have elliptical machines and that will be a great workout every once in a while!

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I've been slacking. I haven't exercised in a while and I am now up to 130 lbs and have never weighed this much in my entire life.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I just never have the energy anymore. I work 11 hour days and when I get home it's a chore just to stay awake. Right now I would love to just go to bed but I hate to do nothing but work with my day.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GratefulBear629

Ok, I've been slacking. I haven't exercised in a while and I am now up to 130 lbs and have never weighed this much in my entire life.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I just never have the energy anymore. I work 11 hour days and when I get home it's a chore just to stay awake. Right now I would love to just go to bed but I hate to do nothing but work with my day.
I can't remeber the last time I weighed 130lbs.!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are doritos and a diet pepsi and good night time snack???
LOL, sorry I had to say it. I wonder why I gaining weight!!!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie, I am so sorry you're having a difficult time fitting in a workout
I know how easy it is to be so tired the last thing you want to do is work out. But, I have found that working out is a great way to GET energy. Is there any way you can work out (even if it's just taking a lap around the block) before going to work in the morning? May get your day off to a great start!

Erin, I'm glad you've joined us and are working out!
One thing I will say about snacking at night.... many health experts say you shouldn't eat within 3 hours of going to bed (so if you go to bed at 10:30, don't eat after 7:30) because you are less likely to burn that many calories at bedtime or something like that.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So! I weighed myself last night- I've lost 17.5 lbs!

and Jason's lost 16!

So we went to the mall, and tried on clothes (for inspiration! we're not buying until we don't have to shop in stores for large people!)

I grabbed 3 pairs of size 16's, knowing that I was wrong and that they wouldn't button, let alone be comfortable.

...but!...

I was wrong. Now, that's not to say that it wasn't a tight fit, but it was as tight as 22s were when I first went on this diet & started working out. but yeah! the fact that I am officially 1 size away from being able to shop anywhere I like- seriously spurned me on to work out harder today!

And I can't forget Jason! He can now wear a pair of jeans I bought for myself 2 weeks ago (Men's jeans) thats a 42, a serious improvement from those 46's. he's not quite a 40 yet, but the 42's are looking a bit big and loose on him!

So today-
Walked 1/4 mile in 5 minutes (when I started all this- 5 minutes got me half that.)
Leg Press: 3 sets of 16 @ 160, 2 sets of 16 @ 140
Leg Curl: 5 sets of 16 @ 50
Leg Extension: 2 sets of 16 @ 30 (but after 5 sets on the leg press, they were shot)
Weighted crunches: 75 @ 70

Yeah, I'm gonna be hurting tomorrow, but really- I feel good!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Denise, that is so excellent! WAY TO GO!!!

Trying on clothes to see your "new" size can be so motivating; I'm glad you were met with surprising and happy results! And that's awesome that Jason is losing, too. Does he ever work out with you?

I've been to Curves once this week, but I'm going again today and tomorrow. It's been a BUSY BUSY week as I'm preparing to host a big conference here next Thursday. But working out is such an awesome stress-buster!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was sooo hacked off at my co-workers
that I went on a 3 mile walk last night.
Now that my job is almost over
, I will be walking in the morning!!
Except tomorrow is the local Oktoberfest celebration-mainly eating up and down 6-7 blocks.

I did put on my blue jeans-not a good way to start the day.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Friday's are sooooooooooo boring this semester. I spend them doing homework, teaching Abs, Buns, and Thighs, doing homework, spinning, grocery shopping, andddddddd doing homework! So that will be my day today.
The spinning is the part I'm looking forward to the most, as I'm honestly not really in the mood to teach today!

I'm starting to get some nervous energy about getting into grad school though, so hopefully I can channel that into some extra exercises. I have an interview for UCF's Mental Health Counseling MA on Oct 14th and FIU called me yesterday saying they're going to want to set up an interview with me for the 4th Wednesday in October!!!!!! AH! I'm going to be a ball of nerves if I end up hearing from all of my 5 schools that I applied to. Wish me some sanity, PLEASE, you guys. I could use it!!!!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katherine, that is so cool! Congrats!
I know you will wow 'em at your interviews! Which school's grad program do you like the most?
Not that you of all people need 'em, but here are some sanity vibes anyway! {{{{{}}}}}

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every day I work out, on the way back, Gibby is keeping track of when we come home, and he always hops up on the dresser and gets all Purry and head bumps me lots, and baths me! I love it! It's like he's saying "Mummy, I'm so proud you're getting fit!"

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Katherine, that is so cool! Congrats!
I know you will wow 'em at your interviews! Which school's grad program do you like the most?
Not that you of all people need 'em, but here are some sanity vibes anyway! {{{{{}}}}}
Thank you Amy, I really appreciate it!! I feel like half the time this semester I'm just a walking bundle of nerves!!
But, I've got such a good support system and of course everyone here that I know I won't lose TOO many marbles before the semester is done! I'm actually really wanting to get into UCF's program. It was named the #1 MHC master's program in the nation this year and that just really works out well for me. I'd love to be able to stay here for a couple more years and then go wherever I have to when it's time to do my PhD. I also went to one of the classes with my friend who's already been in the program for a couple of years and I really enjoyed it. For now though I'll use my nervous energy in the classes I teach, and be extra hard on them!
Just kidding...maybe!