The Name is Cat, or mollismama

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to say that I am very happy to have found this site first! I have read on other forums the info people are giving out about pregnant queens! I want to step in and say "NO! Do'nt listen to them! Come to The Cat Site! Thank you all who have given me CORRECT info and for those who are cheering Molli on with me. I could'nt have chosen a better 'home'!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to say that I am very happy to have found this site first! I have read on other forums the info people are giving out about pregnant queens! I want to step in and say "NO! Do'nt listen to them! Come to The Cat Site! Thank you all who have given me CORRECT info and for those who are cheering Molli on with me. I could'nt have chosen a better 'home'!
Lots of people like to jump in and give advice, even when they know nothing about the topic they're advising on. Happens on here too 
 Glad you're finding the advice here useful. 

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sure it happens but these were outrageous! One person said a cats labor could last 24-48 hrs and the ops response was relief because her cat had bee in labor 12 hrs and a no show of kittens. Anyway, I just glad I found this site first :)

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have gotten my note book all ready to start writing times and progress down, and gotten my kitten emergency care kit together. The only thing that is missing is Molli`s labor!

@EB24 I have names! 4 for each. Boys: Iah (of course), Calypso, Helios, and Orion. For girls: Luna, Athena, Soliel, and Vela
Aaawww yay I love all those names! Sounds like you are as ready as you can possibly be. Now it's all on Molli to get this show on the road!

I'm so glad you have found the information here useful. I SO wish I had known about TCS when I first started fostering. All the shelter gave me was a one page handout on feline labor and wished me good luck. 
 It was a lot of trial and error before I figured it all out! I'm so glad some of our experiences can save you the pain of learning the hard way!

Alright, just on the one picture and my gut I'm wagering there are 3 kittens in that big belly. Any other guessers? 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 The only thing that is missing is Molli`s labor!

Squeeze her 

Kidding of course, I always threaten my girls in various ways from saying i'll squeeze them, sit on them, gallop them round the block 
 Especially as I'm in favour of daytime deliveries, so as night approaches on due day the threats come out. And of course I'm rewarded with a lot of overnight deliveries 

They do go pretty well on time so I can't really complain, not having a date would be maddening.

Last edited:

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aaawww yay I love all those names! Sounds like you are as ready as you can possibly be. Now it's all on Molli to get this show on the road!

I'm so glad you have found the information here useful. I SO wish I had known about TCS when I first started fostering. All the shelter gave me was a one page handout on feline labor and wished me good luck. :jaw:  It was a lot of trial and error before I figured it all out! I'm so glad some of our experiences can save you the pain of learning the hard way!

Alright, just on the one picture and my gut I'm wagering there are 3 kittens in that big belly. Any other guessers? 
Yep, all on Molli and she is just sitting in the window of course :/ I might be forced to pick my favorite boy, when I showed my kids they names they have decided (in my oldest daughters words) "He SHALL be named Calypso (she in a big reader, hince the SHALL. She likes using words no one does does lol).

This site is great! I have never had a pregnant anything except for me s I was very lucky t find this site. I always fostered dogs (Always been a dog person til I rescued Molli).

As for guessing how many are in there, I say four and my partner (Just to scare me) says seven. ACK!

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Squeeze her 

Kidding of course, I always threaten my girls in various ways from saying i'll squeeze them, sit on them, gallop them round the block 

Especially as I'm in favour of daytime deliveries, so as night approaches on due day the threats come out. And of course I'm rewarded with a lot of overnight deliveries 

They do go pretty well on time so I can't really complain, not having a date would be maddening.
Hehe missymotus!! Wish that would work. I am really hoping for a daytime week day birth when my kids are in school! With my luck though that will not happen :/

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, your input is needed again. Molli is breathing heavy. It is not panting but through her nose. It gets faster ad faster then slowly slows back down. Then she falls asleep. Are we in the beginning stages!?! I tried to scratch her head and she will normally wrap both paws around my wrist when I do, almost like hugging me. This time she did that but latched on with her claws, pulled her head away and tried to nip at me. I wouldn't ask but the only thing is, she has not started licking her parts at all. I'm kind of confused here.

Also, she does not stay asleep, she sits right back up as soon as her eyes close and it wide awake. She is acting like she wants to sleep but can't.

Last edited:

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is trying to nest in her litter box. I am at loss about what to do. She decided last night my dresser drawer was her spot. So I checked to make sure when it is open there is no way for her to crawl behind it. There wasn't, so I took my clothes out and put the pillow cases in it. I have taken her out of the litter box and to the drawer several times and she still wants nothing to do with it!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have gotten my note book all ready to start writing times and progress down, and gotten my kitten emergency care kit together. The only thing that is missing is Molli`s labor!

@EB24 I have names! 4 for each. Boys: Iah (of course), Calypso, Helios, and Orion. For girls: Luna, Athena, Soliel, and Vela
Got your scales?  Cheap elecronic digital scales that weigh in grams?  Not only is it stunning how fast kittens can grow, the reverse is often the first sign if anything is wrong. 

I put the results into Excel, and the biggest single daily weight gain for that litter was 28g on her 16th day, the biggest average (of all the kittens) was 20g which means the total gain that day for all kittens was 100g on their 6th day - about 3 ounces. No wonder nursing females eat and poo so much.

And your camera.  I also took photos every week of the last litter I fostered and I'm always amazed when I look at how they grew:

http://shunracats.wordpress.com/jasmine/

Last edited:

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I borrowed some from a friend. Still nothing though! Do they have Braxton hicks like women? She is not straining or pushing. She finally went to sleep and is now sitting back in the window. Ugh!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine never have Braxton hicks, she will have them soon :)

You need to keep a tray in with her, it's often used before birth perhaps make sure the tray is kept clean and that her alternate places are inviting. Or offer a second (empty) litter tray, some like a smaller place so they can brace against the sides

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine never have Braxton hicks, she will have them soon :)

You need to keep a tray in with her, it's often used before birth perhaps make sure the tray Is kept clean and that her alternate places are inviting. Or offer a second (empty) litter tray, some like a smaller place so they can brace against the sides
Thank you! I have been cleaning her poop out when she uses it. She really has not eaten much at all. She has a small kitten dish that has 2 sides that I have been filling 2x a day, yesterday I filled it once, and not even heaping, she ate that, I put more in last night, she ate a little off the top of her wet food, that went to the trash of course, her dry food has a little missing on one side but that is the extent of food consumption. She is drinking water like it is going out of style though.

If not tonight (I hope not) then maybe tomorrow!!!

Last edited:

ssbcr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I waited three weeks for my foster girl to have her kittens - and I must say, I had no idea she was even in labor. About 2 hours before she had the kittens, her temperature was normal, she polished off 2 bowls of food, managed to jump her big belly in the window and play with the bugs on the outside of it, and pretty much acted like it was no big deal. The only thing I noticed, and I thought I was crazy, was her belly would get hard and then soft. The contractions were not really visible, but when I felt her belly, I noticed it was tight around the kittens and then not the next time I touched her. She had been going into her nest box for a few days and digging so I didn't think anything of it when she went in there that night. A few hours later, she cried and then a baby cried - and I woke up from my doze to see a kitten. So labor is not the same for every cat - I would just watch for the little things.

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I waited three weeks for my foster girl to have her kittens - and I must say, I had no idea she was even in labor. About 2 hours before she had the kittens, her temperature was normal, she polished off 2 bowls of food, managed to jump her big belly in the window and play with the bugs on the outside of it, and pretty much acted like it was no big deal. The only thing I noticed, and I thought I was crazy, was her belly would get hard and then soft. The contractions were not really visible, but when I felt her belly, I noticed it was tight around the kittens and then not the next time I touched her. She had been going into her nest box for a few days and digging so I didn't think anything of it when she went in there that night. A few hours later, she cried and then a baby cried - and I woke up from my doze to see a kitten. So labor is not the same for every cat - I would just watch for the little things.
I just read about your experience about two hrs ago! I know hers is about to finally happen as she finally chose her nesting spot. YAYA MOLLI! It's about time. Only problem is, she had 4 different boxes and my bottom drawer cleaned out and prepared. Guess what I am doing? Figuring out where to put all my shoes and things I had stored in my closet, while she looks on from her blankets and pillowcases that now reside on the closet floor. She has not moved out of there since I put it in there. I had to pull her out from there to get everything out and figured if she still wanted it as her spot she would go back. Low and behold... there she lays right now. My room is a disaster now but at least the whole "When is she ever going to decide on which nest to use.?" Part is over with.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, of course it's her way, you just work around it :)
Whatever it takes for a stress free girl

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol, of course it's her way, you just work around it :)
Whatever it takes for a stress free girl
Yeppers! I am relieved. Was so worried that she couldn't make up her mind. She just woke up for a few minutes to nibble ad go back to sleep. We are definitely on the home stretch now! She is back to letting me rub her belly again. Every time I walk out of the room she pokes her head out to see what I am doing, goes back and falls asleep once she sees I am close

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being clingy is another sign - wanting you there or at least sighting you, though of course each day is a step closer either way 

Last edited: