The Name is Cat, or mollismama

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't neuter before they leave going to friends you already know and trust to do the right thing is ok, strangers of course can say anything and it would be harder to follow up

Glad you're keeping them until 12 weeks, makes a big difference to the kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
strangers of course can say anything and it would be harder to follow up

Glad you're keeping them until 12 weeks, makes a big difference to the kittens
That is a big reason I want the to go to friends. I'd still like to see them and keep up-to-date with what is going on in the care. I have read that 12weeks is the best for them behavior wise as well as having more social skills. I also want them to nurse their full amount of time.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you know there are low cost options for spaying? Perhaps something to look into for the kittens, the only way to ensure the cycle stops is to neuter before they leave. 

You can charge that as the adoption fee, some also have people collect the kitten from the vets and pay, I'm not a big fan of that as I prefer to spread out the stresses in a young kittens life but it is an option. 
This is a super good point. I am with a shelter but I normally advertise my foster kittens on places like Craigslist. So, people have the option of getting a free kitten from the site or paying the $70 to get one through the shelter with all the vet work done and I get tons of responses. For the most part I have found people prefer to get a kitten that is already fixed and vaccinated because then they don't have to deal with it, and it's best for the kitten to at least start their vaccination series before they are ready to go to their new homes. 

And really, if you have to find strangers to adopt your kittens, do you really want people who are unwilling to pay for their vet work upfront? That's not really showing that they have their new family member's best interest at heart. 

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I am going to advertise yet or not. I will hopefully have them all a home with friends. I also don't want to find too many homes since I don't know how many kittens she will be having. I have been asking around but letting them know at the same time I'm not going to say 100 percent, yes you can have one and then turn around and there not be enough. 3 of my friends have 1st come first serve on picking one out. As I said before, I am going to keep one. So that is 4 homes so far.

Here is another question. Since I am keeping one and have a female in the house already, is it better to keep a boy or girl? I have been wondering if girls will fight more or if there is really any difference. I was thinking there wouldn't be because it would be a baby staying with the mama. Just thought I would ask for your input. Also both will be fixed.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think personality is far more important than gender. I know you have people in line with first come, first serve but you may want to give it some time before you let them pick. Watch the kittens and see who Molli bonds to and who you bond to. I do think you are right that because they are her babies she will likely get along with any of them. But, I have had Moms who have a definitive favorite. You also need to observe how each kitten does with your kids. While a lot of their personality is formed based on how they are raised some traits are just inherent. You may have some who are more shy than others who would probably not do as well in such a busy household. You may also end up with some who bond very strongly with each other and who would do best by staying together. The bottom line is, as you mentioned with thinking about advertising, there is just no way to know any of this yet. 

So, if I were you I would of course send pictures to your friends who want to adopt but don't let any permanent decisions be made yet. For the first few weeks the kittens shouldn't have visitors anyway so that will give you time to observe and get to know each one. When they start rompin is the time to start letting your interested friends and family come over to meet them. If at that point you still don't know which kitten you would like to keep it's okay to tell them that too. Usually I can tell which people bond with which kitten and who is a good match for who. So, just give it time and listen to your gut. You will know which little one is yours. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I do think you are right that because they are her babies she will likely get along with any of them. 
There's actually a lot of cases where they reach adulthood and don't get along. As it's unnatural for the kittens to hang around, they can grow up and dislike each other. 

Obviously something you're not going to know until later, and it may not happen. Just saying it's no guarantee that they'll be best friends. 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good point. I guess I was thinking that after the kitten reaches maturity and the parent/child bond is no longer recognized they would at least be socialized to each other. Best friends? Perhaps not but in my mind the familiarity would at least make them civil. However, I have never kept a parent/child past the 12 week mark. You have so I trust your judgement on this well above my own. In your experience is there conflict in doing so? I think you have only ever kept girls. Do you think Molli would do better with a boy? Or, is it all just speculation? 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't count because they're entire ;)

Going by friends and past posts it doesn't seem to matter the sex, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't - same with unrelated cats

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Going by friends and past posts it doesn't seem to matter the sex, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't - same with unrelated cats
Makes sense. Essentially,  in the end personality matters way more than gender. That of course I agree with. 

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine don't count because they're entire ;)

Makes sense. Essentially,  in the end personality matters way more than gender. That of course I agree with. :)
Thank you for your input ladies. I know the personality must fit. I did not know if females would fight or not. You both have helped, and yes it it's just a matter of waiting.

EB24 thanks for the info on not letting others around them for a while. I was planning on giving it at least a week, but a couple does sound better to me. Plus, in all reality I will be picking ours out first. My partners sisters cat died a while back. His sister has very life threatening diabetes. Her cat could tell if her sugar was too high. She would lick her. Every time she tested after she would lick her sugar was off the charts. One is going to be a lifesaver!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
 His sister has very life threatening diabetes. Her cat could tell if her sugar was too high. She would lick her. Every time she tested after she would lick her sugar was off the charts. One is going to be a lifesaver!
Aren't they amazing! 

Recently I had a bad kidney infection and was in a lot of pain... my boy, who never sits on me when I'm lying down, lay right across my back, just where the pain was.  It was warm and soothing and so sweet...

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aren't they amazing! 
Recently I had a bad kidney infection and was in a lot of pain... my boy, who never sits on me when I'm lying down, lay right across my back, just where the pain was.  It was warm and soothing and so sweet...
It it amazing! The more I read and hear about cats I have come to realise that they are very intuitive. I will probably wind up as a cat lady or saver of cats :) Just never more than I can handle!

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Molli is not eating as much today. She has not been crying but has paced a lot up until now. She is asleep at the moment. Had to take her litter box out of the room. She kept trying to nap in it! Got nervous she would try to have her babies in it. She still wants nothing to do with the now 3 boxes I have given her as options. Hopefully we will get this show on the road today!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes they confuse needing the tray with early labour signs, not usually to nap though lol

Sounds like it will be a day or so if she's off her food

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is STILL napping. I am wondering if I am off on her heat days :/ Frustrating now.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you are, pregnancy is 63-70 days. She is close by the sounds of it

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. I am not as worried as before. She was pacing about 10 mins ago. She let me feel her tummy and it felt hard. She is not panting or acting any different so I am assuming it was just from the babies laying down there.