The Great Pastry Thread - Fun and prizes!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Chocolate violets, but not the ones that are just sugar creme chocolate coated sweets.  These are a thin, sticky meringue base topped with a big dollop of violet flavoured whipped cream or butter cream, the whole think coated in milk chocolate, and a crystalised violet on the top.... about the size of 8 chocolates in one and you get a sugar buzz after just one. 

I broke the rules? I can't even remember what I posted never mind how I broke the rules..... 
  I like the mod cat though :-D

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rum balls

This thread is making me think back about all the things my grandmother use to cook around the holidays. Every year a few weeks before Christmas my grandparents would send a good size box of goodies. Tins full of cookies, most of the recipes she had brought over with her from Germany.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Croissants
A moderator, of course, the same way we did in the Babble thread when somebody broke the rules.
Sorry, I don't recall ever seeing a moderator post without it's being identified as such.  So much for my short term memory!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Linzer torte - not German, but Austrian. They have all sorts of "Torten".

I think I'm going to have to do some baking this weekend - at the very least a pumpkin pie. My f-i-l brought over a big pumpkin yesterday. Mogli was trying to chew on it. :lol3:

wildhoneybee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gevulde Speculaas.  It is a kind of Dutch gingerbread filled with marzipan and it is amazing!  They do like their marzipan over here!

And the really good thing is there seems to be more of it in the shops at the moment in the run up to Pakjesavond.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chocolate brioche.  I worked in a little bakery/lunch room in Louisiana back in the 1970s and the owner's chocolate filled brioche were to die for.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Gevulde Speculaas.  It is a kind of Dutch gingerbread filled with marzipan and it is amazing!  They do like their marzipan over here!

And the really good thing is there seems to be more of it in the shops at the moment in the run up to Pakjesavond.
and I'd almost forgotten about chocolate brioche, but only for a day or two.  I tried to get some when I went to the shops last week but they were sold out.  :-(   No way the stuff I get will be as good as yours Pat, but I'll have to make do with what I can get, when I finally find some.

Chocolate brioche.  I worked in a little bakery/lunch room in Louisiana back in the 1970s and the owner's chocolate filled brioche were to die for.

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chocalate Cherry Almond biscotti, have made this a few times for my mom for Christmas, thinking I might make it again this year for her. The parents are spending the winter down in Florida and have been trying to come up with ideas since I will need to mail them their gifts this year.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutmeg Raisin Coffecake - recipe from a restaurant that was in my college town, called The Good Egg (yes, it was the 70s..lol).

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin bread, not sure if any one mentioned this one yet. Had dinner out at Bob Evans tonight and was looking at their board of baked goods while waiting to pay. Sounded good and definitly fits with the season.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blueberry Dumplings - I have a recipe that at the time the book was published, was 100 years old - from a Maine cookbook.  it's..ahem..older than that now..lol.  My mom bought the book when I was maybe in my early teens.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Galaktoboureko. It's a Greek pastry to die for... Lots of Greeks have immigrated to Australia in the past and I'm pretty sure the Australian vanilla slice (mentioned before) is a heavier (inferior) version.  

Phyllo pastry and a semoline/custard centre.  What's not to love!

Have I mentioned that this thread is WICKED!!!!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Two layers of chocolate cake with a center layer of chocolate chip cheesecake, covered in chocolate frosting. That's the cake I made for my mothers birthday. Not the best pictures:

So this afternoon I came to the realization that most of the clothes in my closet are too big for me and some of them I just bought last month. If this thread lasts much longer, I'll be fitting into them again!!!!

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chocolate tart. A sweet short crust pastry shell with a decedent chocolate filling. Usually served with cream or creme fraise.
Oh Abby's Mom you're killing me!!

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was little, at Christmas-time, my grandmother, mother, and all of us kids would head into the kitchen to embark on the hours-long task of making what we called Grapfen.  Basically, it's a dough made of flour, egg yolks, heavy cream, butter, and rum, rolled into long, paper-thin sheets, cut into 6 inch sections then deep fried in lard (Mom tried to make it more healthy by using a 50/50 mixture of lard and vegetable shortening).  After frying (and cooling) they are sprinkled with powdered sugar.  They were SO yummy (and SO bad for you!) but we loved them!  And we always brought them as gifts when we went visiting family for Christmas. 

As later research would reveal, they are very similar to Polish Kruschicki.  And while there is a German Krapfen, which is like a donut or cruller, this is clearly not the same thing.  So I have no idea how this evolved in our family, but it became a wonderful tradition that we still enjoy today.

I was hoping I had a picture of them, but instead I found this cute picture of Eopie under the tree.  

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baba au Rhum - these used to be very popular when I was growing up, and coincidentally, the place I worked in Louisiana with the great chocolate brioche, also had these :)