The Great Pastry Thread - Fun and prizes!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
French Meat Pie - Yep, something savory from me for a change.

I make a french meat dressing for the holidays.

I'm also tired, but it is only 1:12 in the afternoon here. :lol3:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think potato knishes can be classified as a pastry. Mmmmm just love them.
I cold here today and I'm tired. It's 1:30 pm and I've already done a weeks worth of groceries, put away a few loads if wash, scrubbed 3 litter boxes, swept, vaccumed, dusted all with 2 toddlers in tow.
Wow no wonder I'm tired.
And now I want a knish and don't have any :(

ayisha1978

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Super Moist spice cake,  a lady posted this recipe link on her site and it was every bit as good as she said (and I used gluten free flours and a 1/4 cup olive oil to replace about a 1/3 cup of the butter and I didn't even have the nutmeg,  here's the link if you'd like to try it: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moist-tender-spice-cake/  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I've just had a savoury thought and remembered chestnut sausage rolls, one of my favourite winter pastry bakes.  I kind of mix two recipes out of a Rose Elliot Christmas cook book which are very similar to each other but one is more of a 'grown up' version and the other is milder  - and not laced with wine. 

They're peazy to make as you can use ready made puff pastry (if you do it properly you'd make your own ruff puff stuff), and the filling is a mix of brown bread crumbs, canned chestnut puree, grated onion,  chili powder, and crushed garlic. You just mush the whole lot up together so it's smooth and well blended like a smooth pate and make in to sausage shapes on the rolled out pastry. Wrap like you would ordinary sausage rolls, coat with egg yolk and bake.  Seriously yummy, filling AND healthy (OK forget the pastry).  What more could you want   

There's another similar recipe where you saute the onion, garlic, and add mushrooms and wine and you can make the whole thing up in to a big seasonal shape like a Christmas tree and bake like a big festive table centre piece to serve as a main course because the raw onion and garlic have had a chance to cook through properly despite the larger quantity of filling inside the pastry.  That version is good using chopped up whole chestnuts - it does take longer to prepare though. 

The cooked onion / mushroom filling works really well as a stuffing without the pastry too!  One of my family's vegetarian choices for Christmas dinner.  Strangely a lot of carnivores say it tastes quite meaty, I think it might be because it is so filling and rich textured.

Thinking may be I should look it out and post it on the Recipe Exchange.  Once you get the idea of the filling it is a really flexible base for veggie dishes.

Not hungry as still full of custard and cake from earlier:-)

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooh
Don't know the name but its Greek. Phyllo dough layers with spinach and feta mmmmmmmmmmmm.

fluffybuttcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my moms secret family dessert, i can't tell you anything about it, but if you ever came to my house and she made that for you, you would be like O! MY! GOODNESS! while drooling all over the place, even my old pastor stopped preaching once just to say that he would love to have my moms desert again, and he hates blueberries but he had like three serving of blueberry and one of cherry. thats all i can tell you of it, but it is the best in the world

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did anyone mention rainbow cookies yet?  Marzipan plus dark chocolate and tons of food coloring - what's not to love??

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I thought I mentioned it already, but I guess I didn't - Black bean cakes! A Chinese delicacy we had in San Francisco. They also had white bean cakes. The woman in the store said one type was "for the husband" and the other was "for the wife", but I can't remember which was which 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Egg and bacon pie. I make mine with a puff pastry shell and I also add in green peas. The peas make it look nice plus they go well with bacon.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Or how about a ricotta tart? It's just a pie shell that's rolled onto a baking stone and free-formed. Then mix ricotta with eggs, Cheddar and seasonings and spread onto the shell. Bake. Slice. Serve. Makes a good appetizer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Polish pierogis! There is a local place that makes dessert pierogis.

It's so cold out here this morning that I am having a hard time getting motivated to go for a walk. I'll do it though.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baked Malpua..Its an Indian sweet pastry..a traditional recipe is favoured in marriages or grand events...I love crunchy one with dry fruits toppings and creamy layer...very sweet, delicious and heavy too!!!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I thought I mentioned it already, but I guess I didn't - Black bean cakes! A Chinese delicacy we had in San Francisco. They also had white bean cakes. The woman in the store said one type was "for the husband" and the other was "for the wife", but I can't remember which was which 
Fun fact - also known as "tao sa pau" (bun type) or "tao sa pia" (cookie type).

:D

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Napoleons - some of the best I've ever had are from here in my state - from the Orting Bakery - real custard in the layers, not a vanilla cream.  Drool.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View media item 186158
Oops, you broke the rules, so this post doesn't qualify for a prize.

View media item 186159

• Each post to the thread must start with the name of an actual pastry.
  • It can be sweet or savory, any flavor welcome. Unless it's something very common, please add a few words to describe the pastry, so we know what it actually is.
  • Try not to repeat a pastry that's been mentioned before. We won't be enforcing this one, but do make an effort - it'll be more fun! Different flavors count. So, a blueberry muffin we consider to be different entry from a chocolate muffin.
  • No imaginary pastries. It doesn't have to be something you actually made or had yourself, but it has to be a real pastry.
  • Feel free to elaborate! Add recipes, pictures, stories or anything related to pastries. Everything is welcome as long as your post starts with the name of a pastry.
  • No consecutive posts by the same member please. We don't want this to turn into a monologue!

Last edited by a moderator:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Scottish bridies (meat pasties). Yum!

Today was the big day - my Kindle Paperwhite was delivered. My old Kindle II died a little over a month ago, and I've been suffering withdrawal symptoms.:lol3: