The Great Pastry Thread - Fun and prizes!!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm busy thinking about strawberry tarts now for some reason, I think it was all that talk about huckleberries and thimbleberries!  A little sweet pastry case filled with creme patisier, topped with a big but pretty pile of strawberries and a little syrup to hold them together if you must.... not very seasonal but always nice :-D

Liking the sound of that Rugelach Denice.  Never heard of it but it does sound good.  And baklava is one of my all time favourites, I love nuts....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Does anybody remember Esther's Orange Marmalade Cake from Jan Karon's Mitford Series of books with Father Timothy Kavanaugh and his wife Cynthia? Esther made her Orange Marmalade Cake for every event from a wedding to a funeral to a birth....any reason was a reason for an Orange Marmalade Cake.

Well, a few years ago, we gave Rick's mom the Mitford cookbook for her birthday. And every recipe I made for her birthday dinner was from that cookbook. This is my version of the Orange Marmalade Cake from the Mitford Series. It was quite good! (And I haven't made one since.)

Blueyedgirl5946, for a gluten-free fruitcake, how about this one: http://www.organicauthority.com/des...ruitcake-recipe-gluten-free-and-fabulous.html   I'd be tempted to try it!

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Vanilla slice!  Oh, I love vanilla slice. 

This thread is WICKED!!!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is another treat I hope to have on my next trip home.  We get this at a local Greek restaurant.  Very rich but oh so good!
You beat me to it!  I was so excited during my trip east that I could zip in to the Florentine and get my favorite flavor of pusties - vanilla custard.  My dad got me hooked on these as a child.  I swear my family has been going there for decades :)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casatta - I make my gram's recipe for this every Easter (well, a variation on it that is a bit easier and is crust free).

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cha siu bao (hope I got that right). Chinese pork buns. Here in L.A. you can get nice, hot fluffy sweet ones in Chinatown.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to live near an awesome Greek restaurant in north GA that served the best Baklava. Geez that place was so good. I don't miss ATL's cold weather but I sure miss the food! That wet-cold we would get there was something else.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Masala dosa. Indian crepe with potato filling. I used to treat myself to one of these each week.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I am thinking every day of fruit cake. I can't decorate my Christmas tree without fruitcake and eggnog. Come on somebody with a gluten free recipe or I am going to be Christmas tree less.
@blueyedgirl5946 - this is for you, Barbara!

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/glutenfreecakerecipes/r/Gluten-Free-Fruitcake-Au-Naturel.htm
I live twenty minutes away from Glacier, so I do know about the obsession with huckleberries! I've had the soft serve in Many Glacier many a time. I always get the vanilla huckleberry swirl.

There definitely are lot of berries in the park! I recently discovered another berry (besides huckleberries) that I can snack on while hiking. It's called a thimbleberry, and it looks a bit like a raspberry. They taste really good- a bit like a strawberry and raspberry combined.

When did you visit Glacier?
Ooooh, I know thimbleberry! My husband did a lot of hiking in the park, and he's the kind that tries all sorts of berries. He took a ranger-guided hike to Iceberg lake and the ranger showed them all kind of berries, including thimbleberry. He once started munching on a berry bush in the Grand Tetons, and a few minutes later we discovered a Grizzly munching on another bush, less than 50 yards away

We visited Glacier twice. Once in July 2011 and recently in August 2013. It's our favorite National Park. Simply amazing. I so envy you for living so close! I bet the GTTS road is closed already? I hope you're still enjoying nice weather on the western side of the pass.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cream puffs. Like a profiterole but larger. Made from choux pastry, filled with fresh whipped cream and topped with chocolate icing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Malasadas - Portuguese donuts. They are a bit like fried dough -

So I have a crazy tree in my yard that drops most of its leaves in a little over an hour. Today is the day. We are at about the 45 minute mark right now.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petit fours. Maybe I'll order some soon. Does anyone have a favorite place to get them from? The only ones I know of are Figi's and Swiss Colony. I tried ordering once in the summer, but I guess they'll only ship during cold or cool weather seasons.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cinnamon buns (great when they're warm and buttered).

I'm shattered after an 11-hour workday - I have no voice left. Tuesdays are going to be my least favorite day of the week until the end of January.

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lemon bars use to get them at a coffee shop that I would go to when I lived in Lansing. Need to see about finding a recipe.

I agree every time I look at this thread it makes me hungry.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Nice, simple, no time to make jam tarts...mm mm mmmm.  Basic short crust pastry rolled out and slapped in to little tart tins, and filled not too deeply with any jam or sweet curd assortment  you like, then baked till the pastry's crisp. Lethal when you don't have any cakes in the house and you want a sugar fix. 

@Fhi09, those Popiah look good!  What's in the filling?

I'm shattered and I only did a 7 hour day today.  Might have something to do with not getting to sleep until after 3 am and having to get up at 7-30 am.  Wasn't even TCS's fault, I made the mistake of trying to work on my CV late at night again... should know not to do that by now. Silly woman. 

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin cinnamon rolls! Had these a week or two ago, and they were wonderful.

Ooooh, I know thimbleberry! My husband did a lot of hiking in the park, and he's the kind that tries all sorts of berries. He took a ranger-guided hike to Iceberg lake and the ranger showed them all kind of berries, including thimbleberry. He once started munching on a berry bush in the Grand Tetons, and a few minutes later we discovered a Grizzly munching on another bush, less than 50 yards away :lol3:

We visited Glacier twice. Once in July 2011 and recently in August 2013. It's our favorite National Park. Simply amazing. I so envy you for living so close! I bet the GTTS road is closed already? I hope you're still enjoying nice weather on the western side of the pass. :nod:
Once I went on the Iceberg Lake ranger led hike (been there many times without the group). Though there was some interesting information, I found it to be a bit slow and prefer to hike with my family.

Oddly enough, in all of the years that I've gone huckleberry picking, I have never come across a bear in one of the berry patches. I always prepare to see one, though.

Glacier is a wonderful park. We go there quite often, so I could have seen you! :lol3:

I believe the road closed a couple of weeks ago.

The weather has been pretty great! A few inches of snow came down a few days ago, and it's truly lovely here in the forest.

Last edited: