The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did 20 mins of cardio again today and I'm proud to say I was faster than the two days before :woohoo: That's a new record for me :clap:
I also went for a 20 min walk after dinner. I'm going to try and make a habit of that. As soon as I eat dinner I crave something sweet. The walk gets me away from temptation and it's just a stroll, it's relaxing and quite pleasant :D
There is also another good thing with that after dinner exercise, I have found out that I can push my bike much more if I eat dinner before I ride, also I think that it improves my fitness faster, but of course I have nothing concrete to proof that.

Last edited:

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did 20 mins of cardio again today and I'm proud to say I was faster than the two days before
That's a new record for me

I also went for a 20 min walk after dinner. I'm going to try and make a habit of that. As soon as I eat dinner I crave something sweet. The walk gets me away from temptation and it's just a stroll, it's relaxing and quite pleasant
I read that brushing your teeth will help with the craving for something sweet.  Not sure if it works, but worth a try!

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
44 minute run today!  I wasn't even going to go because today's my day off and I've been feeling overworked lately.  However I had a random spurt of energy and decided to go.  Best run I've had since I started running again this month!  

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have really had to strain to get in some walking this week. We couldn't do it today as it was raining. But a couple of days we did to full miles. Then a couple more we did 1.8 miles. So that is better than nothing. Hubby has lost 3 pounds this week. As for me, well I haven't lost any. The only was I can really do that is drink black coffee and starve. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
30 minutes on the bike yesterday.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 hours on bike at middle of night, bright moon and snowy landscape with lot of hills, oh why I had no camera with me!?

Average heart rate was 136, burned 1604 calories according to HRM, maybe bit on high side, I would guess, but heart rate was over 150 long time at latter part, first part was quite difficult because lot of snow and tractor + car tracks that made bike to have mind of it's own about travel direction.

After ride I did weight myself on scale, got all time low again, 91.9kg and boy, it was long time since I have ride that route, at least 19kg ago and it surely did feel on uphills, bike flew up the hill or so it felt.

Only -5C (23F), it felt quite warm, even I did reduce amount of clothes, all clothing layers soaked wet and I had only technical t-shirt and micro fleece under jacket that has no insulation.

If calories of HRM are correct, then I produced 230 Watts all 2 hours as average.

1204kcal and 165 Watts I might even believe, if pointed with a gun!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
One hour of yoga yesterday. I get off work earlier than usual this afternoon, so I'll do another hour then. Got to stay strong to shovel all that snow.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read that brushing your teeth will help with the craving for something sweet.  Not sure if it works, but worth a try!
Thankyou :clap: I have heard of this before - I've even done it before. I did do it tonight and I think it does help. The best thing is that it's quicker to get ready for bed ;)
I went for my usual 20 min Sunday jog. I did that after dinner and after I brushed my teeth. :D

Keep going everybody. :banana1:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've not posted much recently, but I'm keeping going - doing what I can when I can (got a bug that keeps recurring :rolleyes: ).

Intensive cleaning yesterday - the holiday cottage had guests out and guests in.

Today was a special day for Collie, so I was at the yard - lots of walking around (and a brief run as Collie was eager to get in :lol3: ) and some intensive grooming to get Collie ready for inspection. Oh, and a bit of dog walking (still at the yard).

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 hour of bicycling, part of the route was road where no one had been whole winter as snow was untouched, fox and lynx tracks among some other smaller tracks there.

I think that I need to swap winter tires back on, because it was bit of struggle at times.

Average heart rate was 123, it was bit slower than yesterday as it was recovery day in theory at least.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I walked for an hour after work yesterday. It's so cold out there! Part of my cat proof fence has collapsed so a few of the cats have been climbing out. See the third fence post down? The over hang has collapsed so they can just walk up it and get out. Nothing I can do about it until spring though.

I followed those bad kitty footprints through the snow for over a mile. At least there isn't much trouble they can get into out there. We don't have any neighbors, the bears are all in hibernation and not even the Forestry Commission guys come up here at this time of year.

Another hour of yoga this morning. Off for a walk soon.

1 hour of bicycling, part of the route was road where no one had been whole winter as snow was untouched, fox and lynx tracks among some other smaller tracks there.

I think that I need to swap winter tires back on, because it was bit of struggle at times.

Average heart rate was 123, it was bit slower than yesterday as it was recovery day in theory at least.
You have lynx in your area? Oh, that must be wonderful. Have you ever seen one?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back to weights for me today :woohoo: chest, triceps and biceps. Then I walked to the shops to do jobs instead of driving and I'm going for another little after dinner walk - after I brush my teeth :D

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have lynx in your area? Oh, that must be wonderful. Have you ever seen one?
I have not seen, but often see tracks, our Lynx is quite traveler, can walk over 100km during the night, so several passes trough area, I live at edge of wilderness, one of largest inhabited area in our country this south if not largest, mostly forest and swamps, so lynx is common, wolf is bit rare, but there has been wolf nest nearby too.

Those lynxes are bit of problem though, cats are not very well safe from them, but only few times there has been lynx tracks trough yard.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to brush my teeth as soon as I finished eating dinner, trying to stave off snack attacks. Overall, it went fairly well.

OK, the treadmill is working again. We don't know how long it's going to last. We spent a good two hours in the basement yesterday, greasing and tightening and trying to get the belt running without that insane squeak. And working on the drive motor and all kinds of stuff. The walking belt is starting to tear, not badly, but we can see the fray.  I'm going to have to call somebody to see about putting a new belt on.

2 miles on the treadmill this morning. (And it was fairly quiet, too. Hardly any squeaking and none of that really loud squawking that it was doing. And while the drive motor -- or whatever it is -- did go from 3.0 down to 2.3 and then back up, that's all it did. Lasted about ten seconds and I was on and walking. We'll see.)

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Shoveling snow yesterday, I'm going to go for a ride in a bit to see what condition the sidewalks are in and hopefully go for a walk. :cross:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Shoveling snow yesterday, I'm going to go for a ride in a bit to see what condition the sidewalks are in and hopefully go for a walk.
I'm a little worried about the sidewalks myself here around work. Even though there's a ordinance that says people are supposed to have their sidewalks cleaned within 24 hours after a snowstorm, there are several people who simply don't bother. Then people walk through the snow on the sidewalks and, after a while, it simply turns over to ice. It's really dangerous. I put gas in my car this morning, so didn't come into work that way, so I don't know what those sidewalks are like. I did bring my YakTrax, just in case. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Shoveling snow yesterday, I'm going to go for a ride in a bit to see what condition the sidewalks are in and hopefully go for a walk. :cross:
I'm a little worried about the sidewalks myself here around work. Even though there's a ordinance that says people are supposed to have their sidewalks cleaned within 24 hours after a snowstorm, there are several people who simply don't bother. Then people walk through the snow on the sidewalks and, after a while, it simply turns over to ice. It's really dangerous. I put gas in my car this morning, so didn't come into work that way, so I don't know what those sidewalks are like. I did bring my YakTrax, just in case. 
There's a law here too, but people do ignore it as you said. If they are bad, I will have to use the exercise bike. :cringe:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Michigan and the weather is often too cold to exercise outside, so I use a mini-trampoline in my living room for exercise.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a law here too, but people do ignore it as you said. If they are bad, I will have to use the exercise bike. :cringe:
It is different there than here I guess, because here municipality does the cleaning of sidewalks, or at least pay for contractor that does the job, but I guess it is also different in Alaska than other states as there snow is longer time on ground.

Also those municipality's contractors put sand and gravel to paths if weather is such that there is chance of ice.

If someone then falls down, it is municipality's responsibility and they have to pay.

At dense city centers i think that there is rule that property owners is responsible of dealing with ice, but I don't think private home owner needs to do that, only those large apartment blocks which need to have people to deal with their yards anyway.

I guess we then pay from that in our taxes.

30 minutes bike ride to shop and back, it felt quite good even there was head wind, I did ride bit too fast, but bicycle seemed to run quite well, except 9th gear from rear cassette was acting up because some snow is packed to sprocket.

I had to make two new holes to belt, then I measured distance from last hole to factory made hole, which was bit too tight when I began getting thinner, I have put 5 new holes to belt in total and those did measure as 16cm (~6.3 inches), so I think in total my waist is so much less that I could use 18cm (7 inches) shorter belt now than before I started to get thinner as I did use 2nd last hole mostly back then.

Today when riding bike I also felt that my outer clothing layer seems very loose, it was only -5C so I had only one layer of micro fleece and thin wind stopper jacket, I guess I have to shop new clothes soon, good part is that there will be lot more availability than in those X sizes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.